Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sting Ray: $100,000? Nope...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 09:55 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

Tom Mault, who owns a roofing company, says he'd rather donate the Sting-Ray -- one of the hottest American icons of the 1960s and '70s -- to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington. (DailyPress.com )

https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-lo...,6873169.story

I had a hardware store knock off and lived on it for years!
Old 06-27-08, 10:17 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought I was going to read how this guy had had the bike stored away for years and then found out it was worth a fortune. But that was the first owner's story. Kept it for 45 years and then sold it for $350. And the bike shop owner looked at it, ran the serial number, and didn't recognize its value. That's the huge surprise of the story. The guy had it in his hands, thought it might be a collectible, and then let it get away.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-27-08, 11:57 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder where my first "Stingray" is now? Probably with my complete sets of mid-1960's baseball cards. A word of advice to Stingray owners. Don't tie a 12' cargo parachute to the loop at the end of the Banana Seat. On my first attempt at using the parachute to stop the bike, like a dragster, things did not go as planned. I put the parachute in a Boy Scout backpack and tied it the seat. At the top of the steepest hill in our Western PA neighborhood, my brother gave me a push start, I rode as fast as I could down the hill, threw out the parachute out at the bottom of the hill and watched the bike disapear between my legs...
Old 06-27-08, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I wonder where my first "Stingray" is now? Probably with my complete sets of mid-1960's baseball cards. A word of advice to Stingray owners. Don't tie a 12' cargo parachute to the loop at the end of the Banana Seat. On my first attempt at using the parachute to stop the bike, like a dragster, things did not go as planned. I put the parachute in a Boy Scout backpack and tied it the seat. At the top of the steepest hill in our Western PA neighborhood, my brother gave me a push start, I rode as fast as I could down the hill, threw out the parachute out at the bottom of the hill and watched the bike disapear between my legs...

I love it!! I have a very clear picture in my mind of this wonderful event! Reminds me of the time my brother and I took an old recliner, attached a couple of axles/wheels to it, headed to the steepest hill we could find. Since I was the youngest, I got the ride. And the stop. But I stayed with the recliner, all the way to the bottom! (Then made my exit...)
Old 06-27-08, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That seat doesn't look like the stock ones I remember on the original Sting Rays. It looks like the banana seat I got to convert my 20 bike to make it similar to a Sting Ray.
Old 06-28-08, 08:02 AM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and watched the bike disapear between my legs...
What? No clipless pedals? Great story AJ.
Old 06-28-08, 12:05 PM
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

(Shuddering at the thought of the handlebars passing through the groin area.....)
Old 06-28-08, 07:28 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank God the handlebars never touched me. I still remember the feeling of flying and knowing the pavement is near.