Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sweat in Eyes?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sweat in Eyes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jens5
Ditto!
I was mistaken in my previous response. Headsweats are good, but I switched to Halo headbands a couple of years ago and am very satisfied with them.
Old 06-19-08, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I wore headbands for years. You could buy a pack of 3 from Performance for not much money. Over the years I've lost most of my hair on top and started to worry about the sun coming through the vent holes and sunburning my scalp. I don't really want to put sunscreen in my remaining hair, so now I wear those headscarves. They keep the sweat off my face in the bargain. I look pretty silly when I take my helmet, like I'm trying to look like a pirate, but I don't care much about what I look like. I wear my bike shorts in public, so adding the pirate scarf isn't a big deal. I like CoolMax Headsweats. They're stupidly expensive for what you get ($19 for a tiny bit of fabric and a stretch headband?) but sometimes they're on sale, and I figure three is all I need. I don't see them wearing out too quickly.
+1 for these. Seems like a side benefit to the head covering part must be to create a larger area for the sweat to evaporate from. That also has the benefit of lowering the temperature of the top of your head by evaporative cooling. They dry fast so carrying two and having one drying might also be an option. However, my experiecnce with these is mainly in N. California where the relative humidity is low.

Before I used these I would often need to take my sunglasses off at the bottom of a hill so they wouldn't get dripped on. (I wear contacts...Have you considered getting contacts?))

Also makes you look like a pirate so as to keep the Harley riders at bay. Aaaaarrrrrrrgghhhhhh!
Old 06-19-08, 12:04 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody remember that great song by The Platters, "Sweat Gets In Your Eyes"?
No, on second thought, it was "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes".
Nevermind...
Old 06-19-08, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a Nike skullcap and it works for me.
Old 06-20-08, 10:40 AM
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use CoolMax Headsweats and they've helped quite a bit. I too perspire quite a bit and had problems with the stuff raining down into my eyes. Headbands were not enough. It seems as if the Headsweats wick enough of it off of the top of my head to at least allow me to ride in peace on hot days. Admittedly it is never as humid here as in Belgium.
Old 06-23-08, 08:12 PM

Bikes: giant cypress, giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Halo headbands. If I am sweating too much for that option by itself I use one of those cooling neckbands that you soak in water, or roll up some ice in my ever-present bandana and tie it around my neck.