Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I don't know why I tried today, but I did.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's been an odd June here on the coast... normally by now, the central valley is burning to a crisp in triple-digit heat while we sit in the fog shrouded 50's.
Not so far, anyway... my gawd it's just been beautiful.
Blue skies, still, calm air, the hills awash is glorious sunshine, temps in the high 70's.
The kind of days that make you curse the 20 years you've wasted and want to hold on to life for all your worth.
The kind of days that say: "I'm working from home, it's lunch time and I'm going for a ride"
So I head out and do an hour... or so...

Normally I save it for the weekend but, since I'm able to climb it, now, in fairly short order, I find myself occasionally going up Sharp Park Road for lunch.
My band partner says to me, he says: "Ken someday soon, you will ride up that road twice"
I laugh.

And I digress.
Anyway, I did this today for lunch. For fun! What kind of fool does this for fun?

Stopped for a minute and did this:

Went back down. Wheeeeeeee....... Did a little mile cool down lap which brought right back to bottom of the climb I just did.

They do talk about hill repeats... finding a climb that takes 10-20 minutes do it.
Do it again.
Repeat as necessary.

Well, I don't know why but I looked at my watch and thought:

"Hm. It takes 10 minutes or less to go up. I have time. It's beautiful out, I feel good. Why not?"
So, I did this again.

You know, it's a lot harder going up the second time.
But I did.

Wasn't wearing my HR monitor. Probably a good thing.
I felt OK but I'd bet it was higher than it's supposed to be.
Last I checked, I still have all my parts so i guess I got away with it.

Man, do I feel good right now.
Old 06-20-08, 04:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job!
There's a local steep hill that takes about 10 minutes to climb. I was doing repeats on it. I passed someone walking on my 1st trip up and she smiled and shouted out way to go! Then I passed her again on my way down and she smiled and waved again. But when I turned around and started climbing it again her looked turned to horror and disbelief. I guess that's what we look like to normal people when we do this crazy stuff.
Old 06-20-08, 05:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richking1953
Good job!
There's a local steep hill that takes about 10 minutes to climb. I was doing repeats on it. I passed someone walking on my 1st trip up and she smiled and shouted out way to go! Then I passed her again on my way down and she smiled and waved again. But when I turned around and started climbing it again her looked turned to horror and disbelief. I guess that's what we look like to normal people when we do this crazy stuff.
I had to laugh... this is so true.
Old 06-20-08, 11:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hill repeats is one of the most stupid things to do- unless it is part of a training regime.

Last year I wanted to climb a mountain in France. I had good fitness but the length of the mountain would get to me. I do not have any mountains in my area- just short sharp hills. So I decided to do hill repeats. First time I managed two-- then 3 but when I got to 5 the first time I was dead. Kept at it a bit longer and Then I realised that 5 was getting do-able. Only problem was that it was boring.

Good luck to you on your training regime- but take an I-pod with you- or a good book to read. Hill repeats are a good route to senility.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-21-08, 12:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Hill repeats is one of the most stupid things to do- unless it is part of a training regime.

Good luck to you on your training regime- but take an I-pod with you- or a good book to read. Hill repeats are a good route to senility.
Training? Regimen? What are these words of which you speak?
Maybe not so much training as part of my overall growth plan.
I started out doing Sharp Park Road once a month. Then once a week.
Now sometimes -depending on my mood- 2 or 3 times a week.
And this has allowed me to do it in higher gears.
As LeMond said: It doesn't get easier, you just get faster.
Speaking of which, today it was on my LeMond for the first time up this road since before I got my "pig" of a Giant.
You know, the Reno is a pretty nice bike; maybe I won't sell it, after all.

As for the iPod.. not on the weekend or during what passes for our "rush hour" but I have taken to using it on my
noon lunch rides and today was no exception. Somehow when you've got the Rubinoos in your ear, everything is lighter and easier.
Old 06-21-08, 02:13 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Speaking of which, today it was on my LeMond for the first time up this road since before I got my "pig" of a Giant.
You know, the Reno is a pretty nice bike; maybe I won't sell it, after all.

As for the iPod.. not on the weekend or during what passes for our "rush hour" but I have taken to using it on my noon lunch rides and today was no exception. Somehow when you've got the Rubinoos in your ear, everything is lighter and easier.
Glad to see the Reno is staying. N+1 doesn't come into it. Sometimes a change is as good as a rest. And it a good thing to have a spare bike-for when you have ridden the giant so much that it has to have a bit of maintenance done on it.

Like you, I ride on my own and a little bit of music while going along does break the boredom a bit. Now all I have to do is get the beat of the music to match the cadence uphill. I hate trying to stay at 120 up the 15%ers.

Spike Milligan