Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Loose-fitting long shorts w/padding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 10:48 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a pair of Novara bike capris (in black, shown in 3rd thumbnail image) which I love. They came with removable padding but I wear my own padded liners instead for more saddle comfort. They are probably MTB shorts but they suit my style as I prefer a more walk-around style and long enough to cover my sun-challenged skin.

The only issue is that my liners (or the removable liner) adds an extra layer of warmth in hot weather.

Does anyone know of anything with padding that is not removable (i.e. isn't worn like an extra layer underneath) but is substantial enough to provide saddle comfort on a long ride?
Old 07-06-08, 11:21 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Team Estrogen has quite a few padded knickers. Don't know if any of them are attached or if they have the separate liner.

https://www.teamestrogen.com/categories.asp?catID=86

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-06-08, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just standard MB shorts? I wear those for virtually all my riding (surprisingly few people want to see a 50-something guy in Lycra), and they work fine.
How much heat can a few square inches of padding add, anyway?
Old 07-06-08, 02:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In the winter I wear KNickers. Long shorts that cover the knees. Most of these are mainly for winter use so are made of a thicker material than usual and are very warm. But I made a mistake a few years ago and instead of getting Roubaix material- I got ordinary Lycra. They were just like a pair of Ordinary shorts but were ideal for summer wet rides for me. Kept the knees from the the stinging rain but still kept the Calves open.

In the winter I use the Roubaix Knickers- but on those wet- cold- Spring and Autumn rides- I have taken to wearing Cycling tights (Or Bib Tights) that have no Padding. Have to wear ordinary shorts underneath for the padding but This keeps the legs protected and with out too much bulk.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-06-08, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but my wife bought me a pair of these from L.L. Bean, and I really like them. They are shorts, with padded cycling shorts sewn in.
https://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Search&feat=sr
Old 07-07-08, 06:36 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
I bought a pair of Novara bike capris (in black, shown in 3rd thumbnail image) which I love. They came with removable padding but I wear my own padded liners instead for more saddle comfort. They are probably MTB shorts but they suit my style as I prefer a more walk-around style and long enough to cover my sun-challenged skin.

The only issue is that my liners (or the removable liner) adds an extra layer of warmth in hot weather.

Does anyone know of anything with padding that is not removable (i.e. isn't worn like an extra layer underneath) but is substantial enough to provide saddle comfort on a long ride?
Mrs. Road Fan LOVES her Terry capris with a built-in chamois. It's not as good a chamois as in Terry's better shorts, but fine for 25-45 or so miles. She tried some other capris with a standard bike short underneath, but even with the Terry shorts they were not as comfy - too much fabric?

Road Fan
Old 07-07-08, 07:52 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, for Pete's sake, Yen. You are an attractive, svelte, fit woman. Wear some nice black lycra bike shorts and be proud that you are turning heads for all the right reasons.
Old 07-07-08, 08:45 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I want the longer length only for additional sun protection but I could use sunscreen instead. I'm fair-skinned and my upper legs haven't seen the light of day since................. I can't remember when. The padded liner does add heat that I don't need on a day in the upper 90s.

I've read/heard great things about Terry clothing, I'll give those a look. And Bev, I already have my eye on some of the items at TE (I bought my UPF jerseys there).

Cone Wrench:
Old 07-07-08, 08:47 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
Oh, for Pete's sake, Yen. You are an attractive, svelte, fit woman. Wear some nice black lycra bike shorts and be proud that you are turning heads for all the right reasons.
I can agree with this, especially since she called her bike the "little black dress."
Old 07-07-08, 08:51 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2-wheeled "little black dress"....

Old 07-07-08, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yen
My 2-wheeled "little black dress"....

Exactly, now how could you look nicer on a sleek svelte machine like that, but to wear similarly svelte calf-length lycra capris?