Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Idea for Rubbermaid

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Idea for Rubbermaid

Old 06-25-08, 07:05 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Here's a 4' x 7' option from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...24467+10401013

What would you consider the minimum size to be?
I saw that one! It would be perfect, except that it's metal. It would do in a pinch, but I thought I read elsewhere that metal sheds promote rust...

I ended up commandeering one side of an existing shed up north, but I still think there would be a big market for rubbermaid if they made a self-contained (4 wall) bike version. Even this design would be great--you could even stack them if it had built in bike holders
Old 06-25-08, 07:23 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Galvanized steel is rust resistant. Depending upon how galvanized it is, it can go for many years without rusting. This particular one does have a 12 year warranty.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-25-08, 11:14 PM

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Now, with everyone buying bikes, Rubbermaid needs to come out with a chest that holds 2 bikes. 4 feet high, 25 inches deep. It has a little shelf at the top for helmets and gloves. It has a latch you can lock and a loop on the outside so you can lock the whole thing down. It should retail for $135. It should be in earth tones.
That's a good idea. Kind of like a bike garage. At our house the cars go in the garage and the bikes are in the house - but I think that's not too uncommon with this crowd. Our bike garage is in the furnace room. It has a bike rack (built of wood), a shelf with hooks above it for all the bike stuff, and a place for the pump, water bottles, shop towels, lube, Allens, packs, and extra sets of tires (and a "to be patched" tube box). In winter, shoes and jackets can be dried above the boiler and in the summer the bikes (and tires) are kept cool and dust-free. The whole thing cost maybe $20, including the hooks (an old hat rack). I even got fancy and painted the hooks and shelf white.
Old 06-25-08, 11:25 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Suncast makes one like the Rubbermaid small shed.

https://www.suncast.com/productdispla...?id=463&pid=55

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-23-08, 07:14 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
https://dbg.home.att.net/PA270037.JPG

This is rubbermaid. I think it was ~$400.
dbg, I've decided to bite the bullet and get maybe two of these. One will keep all my bike/camping stuff, and the other for the stuff in my garage that I don't have room for anymore. I have a narrow but deep garage and there's no room on the sides of it even for shelves if I want to be able to open the doors of either vehicle. I can have one "active" and one "parked" car the way it was set up before.

I checked the prices, and remarkably, the cheapest was Ace Hardware! They deliver for $20.

But questions: can one person assemble this, or should I call over some friends? Can you lock it? How did you attach the helmet hangers? How heavy is it when it's unassembled?
Old 08-23-08, 07:18 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Beverly, I see you have the same shed, but replaced the locking mechanism.

Look what else I found as I was digging around! This is kind of a goofy air-bladder for cars. Would be great* against Kansas hail, but it looks like a pain to get the car in and out, and would be useless if the electricity went out.

https://www.carcapsule.com/home.htm
Old 08-23-08, 07:26 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wait. Beverly, yours looks way* better than the ones I saw. Which model is it? Is it Rubbermaid Brand?

This is the one I was looking at, and I like the roof on yours. Yours looks like a real shed instead of a box.

https://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=2857788

The prices are all over the place. For this Rubbermade shed, I've seen everything from $450- $900.
Old 08-23-08, 07:35 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, if I need 2 of them, I could get this for the same price, and it's cute:

linkie

Wow! Selling at Sam's Club for $863!
Old 08-23-08, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My father in law wanted to install a thing that was like a lean to. had 2 walls and a door on the end. you put it against an existing building. A local carpenter should be able to build something like the garbage can hiders...
Old 08-23-08, 08:47 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the idea of something small enough to go on a balcony or a patio. Maybe 2 bike sized.
Old 08-23-08, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Would be a great fundraiser for a bike club to auction off a custom-made bike shed. Lots of charities around the country do these "Project Playhouse" auctions...

https://www.homeaidatlanta.org/event...seshowcase.php
Old 08-23-08, 07:27 PM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've got one of these Rubbermaid horizontal shed. Bought it to store the patio furniture and BBQ, but a bike would fit in it if you just turn the front wheel (similar to what happens when you support a bike with a kickstand). Two bikes would fit in, but might be a little snug. You could hang gear on the handlebars, or buy some hook attachements that Rubbermaid sells. Bought it at Home Despot.

https://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd130011

Old 08-23-08, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Go vertical. Stand the bike up.

https://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HpdCat190054
Old 08-24-08, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Bike Butler.
Cycle Safe
Old 08-24-08, 12:56 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, with everyone buying bikes, Rubbermaid needs to come out with a chest that holds 2 bikes. 4 feet high, 25 inches deep. It has a little shelf at the top for helmets and gloves. It has a latch you can lock and a loop on the outside so you can lock the whole thing down. It should retail for $135. It should be in earth tones.
I'd to have buy, like 14 of them !!!!
Old 08-24-08, 04:33 PM
King of Dorkistan

Bikes: K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the University of New Mexico campus, they have bike lockers you can rent (for a semester, iirc.) They are sort of wedge shaped. It SEEMS like they are made of rubbermaid plastic and metal, but may be all metal. Anyway, they are modular, and several of them can be connected into a round sort of... thing. Nothing I would leave a bike in overnight, but for commuters with pricey parts on their rides, I can see it.
Old 08-24-08, 04:36 PM
King of Dorkistan

Bikes: K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has a latch you can lock...
It needs to have something better than a latch. More like a bomb-proof built in locking system. Maybe instead of Rubbermaid, it needs to be Halliburton (like the cases.) Of course, that blows your $135 pricepoint out of the water, eh?
Old 08-24-08, 05:16 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rraabfaber
It needs to have something better than a latch. More like a bomb-proof built in locking system. Maybe instead of Rubbermaid, it needs to be Halliburton (like the cases.) Of course, that blows your $135 pricepoint out of the water, eh?

Now you're thinking! And it could float, in case of hurricane!
Old 08-24-08, 07:11 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are some pricey, high security options:

https://www.creativepipe.com/bicycle_storage_lockers.htm

Old 08-25-08, 06:06 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
They could call it the "fixie foyer" or the "vintage vault" or the "Beater bedroom".
Or the "Solveg Securer."

How have you been, haven't seen you here for a while!

Road Fan
Old 08-25-08, 06:22 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Now you're thinking! And it could float, in case of hurricane!
For my old old garage I bought a construction-grade Master lock with a n excellent sealing system, and a latch hasp. The hasp screws to each "barn door" and a big flat lever folds across the break between doors to cover the screws when locked - it can't be undone with anything but heavy tools. If that can be mounted to a hollow blow-molded door like on a plastic shed, it will be a good weatherproof locker-upper.
Old 08-25-08, 08:14 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Or the "Solveg Securer."

How have you been, haven't seen you here for a while!

Road Fan
Oh, I'm lurking!

Say, what did you guys think of that air bubble thing? I think there's a good market for a bike sized version so people could store their bikes on balconies.
Old 08-25-08, 08:47 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The air bubble is decidedly "non-green."