Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tour of Missouri

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tour of Missouri

Old 06-25-08, 03:03 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Tour of Missouri

What to do, what to do?

The Tour of Missouri is coming to town again in mid September. Saturdays finish is about 8 miles from my home. My wife and I bicycled to the finish last year and we both had a wonderful time. How can I top that experience this year?

One choice is to volunteer. We could be course marshalls or I could use my unique talents to transport folks around.

An interesting possibility is "hill top idiot". The route goes right up a road that I drove my school bus today. A student got off right at the spot that will probably be the last KOM points line of the entire tour. I could contact his parents about using their front lawn and maybe driveway to watch the race. We could even park somewhere else and ride our bikes up the hill. (It's a pretty good hill.) I'm getting a little old to chase the bikes up the hill while wearing an American flag cape so "hill top idiot" might not be in the cards.

The third option would be to repeat what we did last year. Why try to fix what ain't broke? Did I mention that we had a wonderful time last year? Also, the last 25 miles or so this year will be table top flat so there's a strong possibility of a sprint finish this year.

As always, I'm interested in opinions and ideas.
Old 06-25-08, 04:13 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no advice other than go and have a great time! I have turned into quite the racing groupie, went with sisters to 2 days of the Tour of California, the Mt Hood Cycling Classic went right by my home and I volunteer for several of the races in this area. The Race Across Oregon goes through Maupin, and is a 538 mile ultra race, it is one of my favorites and I help at the time station. It is just very inspiring to watch anybody putting out the effort to compete at any level. I got 2 Rock Racing musettes and lots of different teams water bottles at the Mt Hood race, it is all just fun! I would love to watch the Tour of Missouri some time, have fun!
Old 06-25-08, 06:37 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
I left CA and they started a pro stage race. Then I left MO and they started a pro stage race. WA must be next on the list for a pro stage race.