Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's your 4th of July plans?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What's your 4th of July plans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 06:35 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Why is it called a "permanent" brevet, and what is a "populaire"?
John,

A permanent is like a regular brevet, except you can ride it at any time, by contacting the permanent route owner ahead of time. A populaire is a randonneuring ride that is like a brevet, except it is a distance shorter than 200k, which is the minimum length of a brevet. Populaires also require no club or organization memberships to ride. Randonneuring clubs typically put on populaires to let new riders try out the randonneuring style of riding with a shorter distance. This RUSA FAQ page has the answers to these, and lots of randonneuring questions.

My plans for the weekend have already changed. My wife's trip out of town was canceled, so the crappie fishing trip will be tomorrow (Sunday), and she will be hauling in her share of crappie (she's working today, and wouldn't be able to come along). Yesterday's 131.7 mile permanent left me tired enough that I am just going to vegetate around the house today.

Last edited by Bud Bent; 07-05-08 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-05-08, 06:46 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow! What a ride yesterday I did the 75 mile trip I had been planning for years. My wife took the car and the gear, I rode the bike. We took off from our house outside of Schenectady and met up in a vacation condo in North Creek in the Adirondaks where I am sitting right now. It was mostly up hill all the way for me. I took the Steel Simoncini even though it was a lot of uphill - it is such a comfortable ride on the long haul.

I had planned this route for quite some time - but had not driven all of it. I used Google maps to view the roads I had not driven to make sure they were paved and had shoulders (what a great feature!), I have used only maps before and found myself on dirt or gravel roads - not fun on a long ride like this. I used Bike route toaster to plot the route and make a cue sheet - what a great tool! By printing out the route in .csv format I had all the GPS coordinates for the turns so I programmed them into my GPS. I always get nervous on a long solo ride as I have gotten lost before and a mistake like that out in the back country can be quite dangerous considering the miles.

The ride went off perfectly. I ride home tomorrow - mostly down hill.
A full report with pictures and all the gory details when I get home. Right now I am just enjoying my morning coffee.
Old 07-05-08, 04:52 PM

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiph
Hopefully this route if the weather stays half-good:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/161263

If I can get a couple of others to go along, it's about a 45 mile drive to the start, so gas sharing would be nice.

Click the "Show" option near the upper left corner, then the "Elevation Profile" for a treat.
RAINED OUT AGAIN

Don't know if we'll try for it again Sunday, but at least it's not going anywhere, so we can wait for some nicer weather.
Old 07-06-08, 09:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
July 4th was my 50th birthday so I figured it was only fitting to ride a century to celebrate a half century of living. I live in the Fingerlakes region of New York so any ride this time of year is a nice one. I opted for a loop from my house down to and around Cayuga Lake. 105 miles, beautiful day. Did the ride in the morning and went sailing on the same lake later in the afternoon (the beer tasted real good later). A little more wind would have been better...for the sailing, not the ride ,but you couldn't have asked for a nicer day.

Scott
Old 07-07-08, 06:33 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sesmith
July 4th was my 50th birthday so I figured it was only fitting to ride a century to celebrate a half century of living. I live in the Fingerlakes region of New York so any ride this time of year is a nice one. I opted for a loop from my house down to and around Cayuga Lake. 105 miles, beautiful day. Did the ride in the morning and went sailing on the same lake later in the afternoon (the beer tasted real good later). A little more wind would have been better...for the sailing, not the ride ,but you couldn't have asked for a nicer day.

Scott
Happy belated birthday and congratulations on a great ride!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-07-08, 06:13 PM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who are interested in how my trip came out, here's my ride report for the trip to Ocean City, MD via Delaware starting in Baltimore:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...postcount=1948
Old 07-07-08, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Nice ride & pics, NoRacer. At some point, I may get brave enough to try an overnighter. Sounds like fun.
Old 07-07-08, 07:57 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4th of July!?!

Darn, I missed it again

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post