Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I tried on a pair of Sidis (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/436854-i-tried-pair-sidis.html)

Yen 07-03-08 11:45 AM

I tried on a pair of Sidis

I need a new pair of bike shoes to replace the pair that are pinching my toes. I want recessed cleats and straps (not laces).

I was warned: DO NOT TRY ON THE SIDI SHOES.

So while at the LBS yesterday, I tried to avoid looking at the Sidis as I would a solar eclipse. They were on one side of the shoe display, and the "other brand" was on the other side. Trouble is, the bench for trying on the shoes faces the Sidis, just inches away. How could I not look?:(

I tried on 3 pair of "other brand" MTBs which were OK, but not right for me (either too stiff for my feet, or I just didn't like the style or color).

So Hubby says "Try on a pair of the Sidis just for the sake of comparision." :eek:

I tried the Sidi Dominator 5. :love:

The upper construction is soft and feels lovely on my feet. Since I wear running shoes almost every day, and they have soft uppers and rigid soles, I believe my feet are accustomed to that type of shoe and will rebel in a shoe with rigid upper construction.

I've already searched the forums and read many positive comments about this and other Sidi shoes. I also found one comment saying that the toe box in the Dominators is a little tight, and a wide size only means the shoe is wide everywhere. (I don't have wide feet.... at least, I never did!) I've also seen comments from reviewers who say that Sidis are the last shoe they tried and they will never go to another shoe because of the overall comfort that Sidis provide.

That's music to my ears, and if they were just a bit less expensive I would have bought them yesterday.

I spend $100.00 for my Asics running shoes because they fit and feel like they were made for my feet, and my orthotics fit inside, and no other shoe of this type that I've tried feels as good. With my foot issues, I am willing to spend a little more if necessary..... but only if there isn't another choice that feels as good, wears as long, and costs less.

Hermes 07-03-08 12:00 PM

My wife wears Sidi Genius Carbon http://www.sidiusa.com/gen6.6carbwmn_S08.html and uses Shimano Dura Ace SPD SL pedals http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...8/97/19638?g=1. Combined it is more money than most people spend on a bike but less than one pair of Jimmy Choo shoes. http://www.jimmychoo.com/pws/Home.ice :thumb:

Yen 07-03-08 12:24 PM

Thanks -- I'll point that out to Hubby! :) I often remind him of the THOUSANDS of dollars he saved by marrying a woman who isn't a fashion hound.....

The Weak Link 07-03-08 12:32 PM

I worked to day with a nurse who is an avid runner. She runs a lot and goes through a pair of shoes every 3 months or so. A great pair of biking shoes should last several years. I vote for the Sidis.

sojourn 07-03-08 12:43 PM

Yen,
You are a WOMAN! A wall of shoes is normal. Besides, the Sidis will last forever.......at least that's what you tell the husband! "See, look at all the money I just saved AND they were on sale"! I hear that from my fair maiden all the time, it goes with the territory.
Good luck!

Yen 07-03-08 12:45 PM

Of the Sidi MTBs I viewed at the Sidi site, the Dominator appears to be (unless I missed it elsewhere) the only one that includes a description of mesh inserts in the upper for additional comfort.

TWL and sojourn: Thanks! :thumb:

BTW, next month I will join a vanpool at work which will save me $200/month on gas (the vanpool fee is $10.00). The money I would normally spend that month on gas for commuting to/from work (>$200.00) can go toward GREAT shoes for my aching feet. Hmmmmmm.....

tedshuck 07-03-08 01:10 PM

I bought a pair of Sidi Genius road shoes this winter after trying a couple of other "cheaper" brand shoes over the last couple of years that really didn't fit right. It was definitely the right choice.:thumb: I bought the mega, wider version to avoid the toe pinch that you mention. They only seem wider in the toe box.

stapfam 07-03-08 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6994877)
BTW, next month I will join a vanpool at work which will save me $200/month on gas (the vanpool fee is $10.00). The money I would normally spend that month on gas for commuting to/from work (>$200.00) can go toward GREAT shoes for my aching feet. Hmmmmmm.....

I thought you had already used that excuse to get the Roubaix!!!!:innocent::innocent:

Yen 07-03-08 01:23 PM

tedshuck: Glad to know that about the toe box... thanks. I'll see if the shop has a mega pair.

stapfam: :) At that time I thought I might join a vanpool but a seat wasn't open, and the savings wasn't as much as it is now (gas prices have risen at least a dollar since then, and that vanpool rate was higher).

Allegheny Jet 07-03-08 01:31 PM

+ 1 on the Sidi's. I tried them on at a bike store once and coveted them unitl I purchased a parr. I use the road shoe version in mega width. I thought $229 was a lot for shoes when I bought them 5 years ago and am still putting 3,500 miles a year on the them. When I was a runner I would get about 250 to 300 miles out of a pair of $90 running shoes. At that rate I would have gone thru about a dozen pairs of running shoes to the one pair of Sidi's. I say go for it you won't be sorry.

Hermes 07-03-08 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6994877)
Of the Sidi MTBs I viewed at the Sidi site, the Dominator appears to be (unless I missed it elsewhere) the only one that includes a description of mesh inserts in the upper for additional comfort.

BTW...I would point out that once you commit to recessed cleats, you are essentially stuck with SPDs. Like the Sidi shoes, once you try an SPD SL, or Look Keo, or Speedplays and etc, you will throw rocks at the SPDs, just sayin.:)

Fangu 07-03-08 02:10 PM

Buy the Sidi's and never look back. I tried cheaper shoes in the beginning- spent more on trial & error and insoles, not to mention a nasty bout of plantir facitis (sp?). I don't consider myself to have wide feet, but the mega-sizing has really worked out well for me and I wouldn't even switch brands if they were free.

TruF 07-03-08 02:17 PM

I love my Sidis. Yes, I do. Even the road shoes work with both types of clipless.

http://www.sidiusa.com/images/Genius51_BlackBlack_m.jpg

Hermes 07-03-08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TruF (Post 6995436)
I love my Sidis. Yes, I do. Even the road shoes work with both types of clipless.

http://www.sidiusa.com/images/Genius51_BlackBlack_m.jpg

Note the red heel pad. It is replaceable and shops carry spares. I have replaced three of those due to walking - no problem. I use Kool Covers over the road cleats.

will dehne 07-03-08 02:41 PM

I am very happy with SIDI and yes, they are expensive.
I own several pair of SIDI MTB shoes. I have been around people who have lesser (cheaper) shoes and they seem to have issues which I do not. SIDI behave well if they get very wet. There are other shoes who are like a sponge.
I hear of feet burning. I do not know what that is. Caution: I do use top of the line sole inserts for added cushioning.
My biking involves occasional mile long walks. Therefore the MTB.

SaiKaiTai 07-03-08 02:50 PM

I bought a pair of SIDI Zetas on sale a few weeks ago and I love 'em to death.
I was using PI Vagabond R3s -which are not bad shoes by any stretch- with SPDs, initially, then with Zeros.
The PIs were fine with the SPDs and "OK" with the Speedplays.
But when I moved the Speedplay cleats over to the SIDIs, it was like heaven.
I don't know what I'll do when my Zetas wear out if I can't find another pair on sale.
For me, there is no going back (though I *am* using my PI+SPD combo with my LeMond)

BSLeVan 07-03-08 02:57 PM

Sidi makes a great line of shoes, but they may not be for you. Remember that every shoe manufacturer uses their own last for their shoe construction, and they are all a bit different. You did say you use orthotics, yes? Is the orthotic something you'll need in your cycling shoe? Will it work well with the Sidi? Folks are right about the cost being worth it... IF the shoe works for you. One final comment, I learned the hard way that a shoe that feels great while seated on the bench at the store, may not feel very good after 2+ hours in use on the bike. For me, the fit of the heel cup is a critical element, if there is any play at all, I'm in for some painful riding after about an hour. In one sense cycling shoes are just like bikes... it's only good with the proper....you guessed it - fit.

Spinz 07-03-08 03:17 PM

If you like running shoes then you should try the Specialized Pro Carbon before you buy the Sidi. The Specialized design is very much like a running shoe and as comfortable ----- no kidding. I was sold on the Sidi and that was the shoe I intended to purchase. However another froum member gave me a heads up on the Specialized shoe. One of the best tips I have ever gotten here at BF. Just my 2. Lp

BSLeVan 07-03-08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spinz@50 (Post 6995790)
If you like running shoes then you should try the Specialized Pro Carbon before you buy the Sidi. The Specialized design is very much like a running shoe and as comfortable ----- no kidding. I was sold on the Sidi and that was the shoe I intended to purchase. However another froum member gave me a heads up on the Specialized shoe. One of the best tips I have ever gotten here at BF. Just my 2. Lp

+1 I didn't want to say this in my earlier post, because my point was that not everyone will do well with a shoe, even if it is very good one. But, the Specialized shoes are the first pair that hold my heels in place and are comfortable all day.

richjac 07-03-08 04:12 PM

I'll add another plug for Specialized. I have the BG Comp Road shoes and I think it's a great shoe for $135. If you feel the need to spend more, there are pricier versions. If the Sidis fit you better, by all means go with them.

rmac 07-03-08 04:27 PM

My Sidi's are fine for rides less than about 50 miles. Anything longer and my toes start to hurt. After the ride I can hardly walk. I switched to Shimano wide shoes (M225SE) and they are great for longer rides. They also seem more like a running shoe. Guess I should try the Sidi wide.

Bud Bent 07-03-08 05:58 PM

I love my Sidi Dominators. My feet are wide, so I bought the Mega's. It took a long time, but I eventually found a great deal on ebay on brand new shoes the right size.

Yen 07-03-08 06:48 PM

We returned to the store this afternoon. This time, I wore my super-comfy broken-in running shoes with orthotics and my feet were already good and swollen from today's bike ride and walking barefoot around the house today. I tried the men's Dominators with and without my orthotics, and found they are best without. I wouldn't need them in these shoes anyway, since the shoes do offer pretty good arch support. I tried on different sizes until I found the one that felt just like my broken-in running shoes. I walked around the store and the shoes felt great. With the store's 10% coupon on accessories, I paid a 20% deposit on the shoes.

When I get them home, I'll wear the right shoe around the house with a big sock over it and see how my foot feels after a couple of hours walking on it. That's the amount of time it took for my other shoes to hurt my foot. If it hurts, I can return them (the sock will keep them new) and try something else.

I appreciate all your comments, including the suggestions to try the Specialized shoes.

Jen

oilman_15106 07-03-08 09:22 PM

Shoes that fit are worth every dime they cost you.

Beverly 07-03-08 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by richjac (Post 6996100)
I'll add another plug for Specialized. I have the BG Comp Road shoes and I think it's a great shoe for $135. If you feel the need to spend more, there are pricier versions. If the Sidis fit you better, by all means go with them.

And another plug for Specialized. I have the women's BG mountain bike shoes and love them:love: