Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wider Pad than Voler Ion SL?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any cycling shorts that have a wider pad than the Ion SL in the Voler (Hammer Nutrition) shorts? I am a normal size guy with wide spaced "sitbones" and need a very wide pad to be comfortable. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-06-08, 05:32 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS carries some Nike shorts that I can't find online anywhere. They have a wider pad than the Pearl Izuni or Canari shorts I have. They were only $69 (I got them for $54 on sale ) so they have the PI's beat by price for sure and I think they are more comfortable as well. They do fit small. I'm 5'10" at 185lbs and the XL is tight. Sorry I can't find any model number or name for them.
Old 07-07-08, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, now I get to disclose something I thought no one would ever know about. I've found that the width of the pad can be different between shorts/bids from the same company and the same model/type. I know how wide I like my pads, and have actually measured the width of my favorite ones. I take this measurement and a tailor's tape measure with me when I shop for shorts. Then I always turn the shorts inside and and measure the pad. Recently I bought three pair of Performance Elite Bib shorts (because the pads were the right size). I turned down four other pairs because the pads was too narrow in three of them and too wide in the fourth. I've had similar experiences with Pearl Izumi and Cannondale.
Old 07-07-08, 07:17 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The pad isn't supposed to cover the sit bone area.
If your sit bone area is uncomfortable try a different saddle position or a new saddle.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.