Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hobby or addiction?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hobby or addiction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 11:47 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Hobby or addiction?

In regards to cycling I realize the rhetorical nature of the question.

This past weekend, instead of having one monster (for me) ride, I rode some each day. My MPH is going up. My resting pulse has now falling below 50 (48 in the office an hour ago). I'm feeling pretty buff CV wise right now.

Tomorrow I take my first full week off for vacation since August of 2006. My family and I really need it. We're a bit fried. We're head on down to Ocean Isle Beach in N.C. It's not the greatest beach in the world but we've been going there for over a decade, so it's a known entity.

You'd think I'd be really looking to it, but I'm having separation anxiety. I won't see my bikes for over a week.

Given our travel limitations there is no way I can take any of my bikes with me. Sure, I can rent a beach cruiser while I'm down there and tootle around. And I'll do that as the velopedic equivalent of methadone. I'll get no buzz off of it, but I'm hoping it'll stave off a full withdrawl.

And I'm trying to tell myself that it makes no sense to take my Garmin so I can clock and get credit for all my mileage. I mean, really, who cares? Whenever there is a poll around here about speed or mileage I just multiply my real numbers by 50-300%. The only one who could possibly know the truth is freeranger and he's too busy riding horses anyway.

Thanks for listening. I just had to get that off my chest.
Old 07-10-08, 11:54 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
..................................test rides.....................................

Is there an LBS in Ocean Isle Beach?

Its not a real vacation if you have to leave your bike behind.
Old 07-10-08, 12:02 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
They only rent cruisers. I hate coaster brakes. There is a place in N. Myrtle Beach I might check out that rents a bit better bikes.
Old 07-10-08, 12:16 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I just returned from a beach vacation (Cape Cod). Fortunately I was able to take our bikes. Beach towns are wonderful places to bumble around in on bikes.............even cruisers if necessary. Park the car, go to lunch on the bike.

I think areas like this tend to be bike safe because there are so many folks on bikes that drivers are more aware (if not more careful) of their presence. Its a good chance to ride with the family. Put your peloton instincts away and toodle down the road at 5mph smelling the salt air and rotting seaweed.
Old 07-10-08, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Ocean Isle is flat. A beach ruiser is not only perfectly suitable for the mission , it's probably optimum. Myrtle Beach is too far away to consider going to. Why not rent bikes and trailers and do all your local travel by bike? That way, you will still be commuting.

Paul
(just home from Ocracoke)
Old 07-10-08, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since you have not already obsessively planned bike availability, backups, routes, and menus, I'd diagnose hobby rather than addiction. Discovery of the joys of beach cruising, though, could easily put you over the top.
Old 07-10-08, 03:28 PM

Bikes: '82 Colnago Super; '07 Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were at Hilton Head Island a few weeks ago and rented some beach cruisers. Spend the dough to rent a couple and just relax! If you can get past the typically awful seats bet it'll be fun.
Old 07-10-08, 05:35 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
You might try running. It's aerobic but really different. It takes less time to get a good workout compared with riding.
Old 07-10-08, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have evolved beyond you.
There will be no vacations without my bikes. The bikes are priority #1. Everything else gets negotiated later after this #1 is satisfied.
Old 07-10-08, 07:24 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Vacations: if I go, my bike goes. Period.
Old 07-10-08, 07:52 PM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think passtime is a better word for it, it doesn't conjure images of big dollars being spent.

Go to Myrtle Beach, rent one from these guys https://https://www.bikesngear.com/store.htm
I rented the Schwinn fastback for a day 2 years ago, had a great day riding it, I think it was only about $30 a day (can't remember for sure, I'm getting old!) I think just about all of their used bikes can be rented.
I took my spd pedals with me and left them there when I returned the bike, didin't realize until I got home.
Myrtle Beach isn't the best riding experience, no hills and lots of poor drivers.

Last edited by pinerider; 07-10-08 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 09:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
learn to run. it is great winter cross training, helps keep the weight down, and the load bearing (unlike riding) helps your bone density. I only run during the winter on weekday lunches, but during an emergency such as a vacation without your bike, and hour or two of running will provide the needed "fix".
Old 07-11-08, 05:35 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hobby AND addiction!
Old 07-11-08, 09:08 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
One other thing: leaving the bike home also allows you to develop or to mature in another way. It allows you to "die to self". Hobbies might be seen as an ends in itself. Start viewing biking as merely a means. Humanly speaking, we all seek happiness as an end, whether now or eternally.

Self giving, self sacrifice, also leads to happiness.
Old 07-11-08, 09:54 AM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How about an addiction that is under control. There is no such thing as an "ex-alcoholic", right? I can't / don't always take my bike when I vacation, but I get a little jumpy if I don't. Of course, my big weeklong vacation every year is a 7-day bike ride.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-11-08, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hobby and a means to an end (delayed effects of aging). Dogs are my personal addiction.
Old 07-11-08, 10:07 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Addiction or hobby noooohh more of an obsession...I would find a high end bike shop and rent a nice road bike. I suspect there is some great cycling there. It would be a missed opportunity not to cycle.

As far as vacations go, we ski or cycle. We have convinced ourselves, and that is all that matters, that skiing is good cross training for cycling. Now it is off to Peet's for an EPO latte.
Old 07-11-08, 04:40 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hobby is definitely an addiction. I totally feel your pain, to the point that I try to plan my vacations where I can drive and take my bike with me. While everyone is sleeping in while on vacation, I'm up at 5:00am and off to see the sights. By the time I return, it's time for breakfast and I don't feel guilty about eating what I want!
Old 07-11-08, 04:44 PM
Knocking off the rust

Bikes: LeMond Tourmalet, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I won't see my bikes for over a week.
Its called a recovery week - you come back like Steve Austin.
Old 07-13-08, 10:51 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I've made it an entire day without my bike. Being able to poach someone's WiFi and maintain contact with the Internet has helped.

I saw someone on a hybrid rding along in a yellow jersey. I wanted to dial it up to 75 W and teach poseur lesson. I went boogie boarding instead.
Old 07-13-08, 11:14 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
One other thing: leaving the bike home also allows you to develop or to mature in another way. It allows you to "die to self". Hobbies might be seen as an ends in itself. Start viewing biking as merely a means. Humanly speaking, we all seek happiness as an end, whether now or eternally.

Self giving, self sacrifice, also leads to happiness.
+1

For me, the hardest part is the mental separation until we actually leave the house. Once we're out of the driveway, I'm absorbed in the vacation itself. It's a nice break away and I return refreshed. Having to give up my own interests for a very short time isn't going to kill me.
Old 07-13-08, 12:06 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I just back from down there-we do Sunset Beach each year. I took my bike and got in a few decent early morning rides off the Island. I also rode every day on the beach and down to Bird Island. I don't htink they let you ride on Ocean Isle this time of year??? Normally I'll toss in a 100 miler up to Southport and back but couldn't work it in this year.

I did see a few others out riding as well. I only got to play golf 5 times........If you're looking for some restaurants you might consider Betty's Uptown in Shallotte, Mediterrean Grill in Calabash and Sharkey's there in OI. My family is still down there.......I hope you have a great week!!
Old 07-13-08, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm currently in the process of getting home from OIB right now (did you know it can take as long as 4 days to get parts to the local dealer? ). OIB's flat enough that the beach cruisers would be fine, and they rent them for $33/week (total's a little under $35.50 with tax). We rented one for my daughter to ride (my wife & I had our recumbent trikes along) and she didn't have any problem keeping up with us. Early morning (6:30 to 7:30 or so was my usual time) is the best time to ride down there, but since everybody seems to be expecting stupid tourist moves down there, I don't think you'd have much of a problem on any days but Saturday and maybe Sunday. Saturday seems to be the day most of the rentals check in, and if our experience on the 5th is any indicator, it's a real mess - it took well over an hour to cover the last 3 miles to the causeway. Helpful hint - don't try to take the road straight in from route 17 to Ocean Isle Beach, get onto NC 179 either north or south to get to the causeway. That alone should knock 45 minutes off the ordeal!
- Bob
Old 07-13-08, 07:54 PM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
My hobby is definitely an addiction. I totally feel your pain, to the point that I try to plan my vacations where I can drive and take my bike with me. While everyone is sleeping in while on vacation, I'm up at 5:00am and off to see the sights. By the time I return, it's time for breakfast and I don't feel guilty about eating what I want!
+1 on the early ride. Too hot and humid to do it later in the day for me.

We do Holden Beach several times a year. Did the beach cruiser thing a few weeks ago. (see Geek at the beach thread).

May have to figure out how to take my hybrid next trip. I was not very happy with the cruiser.

Remember to take some basic tools with you if your rent something. Adjustments are likely to be needed.
Old 07-13-08, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
It's a hobby if you are up front with your wife about how much you spend on it. If you are addicted, you go "underground" with your upgrades and expenses. bk

Moi? Been subterranian for a long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.