Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

MOVED BACK: Wisconsin Rail to Trails Status question asked of 50+'rs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 01:03 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/index.php)
- Great Lakes (https://www.bikeforums.net/great-lakes/)
- - Wisconsin Rail to Trails Status question (https://www.bikeforums.net/great-lakes/435030-wisconsin-rail-trails-status-question.html)

will dehne 06-28-08 06:30 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wisconsin Rail to Trails Status question

We want to bike from Reedsburg, WI to Trempealeau, WI starting Monday, June 30.
Does anybody know if that trail is open?

Tom Bombadil 06-28-08 06:51 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 400 trail is closed indefinitely. Several bridges sustained damage and need repairs or replacement.

The rest of the three are open.

You could potentially start in Wonewoc, as I believe the northern end of the trail, from Wonewoc to Elroy is open. But I am not 100% positive of this. They may have closed it all, just for the simplicity of not having to explain that a few miles are open.

Tom Bombadil 06-28-08 06:57 PM

You could start in Camp Douglas, ride the Omaha Trail down to Elroy, and then pick up the other trails from there. The Omaha Trail is 13 miles long, paved (a bit roughly), and has a short train tunnel on it. Cost $1 to ride - technically - no one ever checks for a pass.

https://www.a1trails.com/rail/wi/omaha.html

will dehne 06-29-08 07:53 AM

Tom,
Thank you. You know your WI Trails.

Tom Bombadil 06-29-08 11:45 AM

If you do ride the Omaha Trail, then beware the purplish shale. They had some holes & cracks develop in the pavement and filled some of them with shale. Those are hazardous, the shale slides every which way.

There aren't too many and most can be easily avoided. I've ridden the trail twice and enjoyed it.

Tom Bombadil 07-10-08 06:07 PM

So Will, how did your trip go?

will dehne 07-10-08 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 7038428)
So Will, how did your trip go?

Great.

My wife is the boss and decided we start in Elroy. However, we studied by car the situation at Fort Campbell. The next trip will be in a week or two. We will start in Fort Campbell.

Here is a compliment to Wisconsin Tourist efforts. We observed a great amount of trail maintenance on the Elroy Sparta Onalaska Trempealeau Trail. I mean to say "A LOT OF EFFORT".

The street connection from Reedsburg to Elroy is a fiasco. They routed us way south for over 100 miles.
Crazy.
Wisconsin Highway department does not have their act together.

We got lucky with the weather and had storms but no rain. We had a very good time and will do it again soon. The Trempealeau Hotel is a worthwhile goal. We had really a good time.

Tom Bombadil 07-10-08 08:58 PM

Yes, Trempealeau has a couple of nice places. Beautiful view.

Some of the towns in central Wisconsin are still flooded. The Mississippi River is backed up, which backs up these rivers, and the water doesn't flow away. Some roads have been under water for 4 weeks now.

Tom Bombadil 07-10-08 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will dehne (Post 7038681)
The street connection from Reedsburg to Elroy is a fiasco.

You should have stayed on the interstate up to Mauston and then popped over to Elroy. That way is always the faster way to Elroy. And in this case, it would have been WAY faster. Elroy is only 13 miles from the interstate along Highway 82.

Only drive to Reedsburg if you are going to the 400 Trail.

will dehne 07-12-08 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 7039041)
You should have stayed on the interstate up to Mauston and then popped over to Elroy. That way is always the faster way to Elroy. And in this case, it would have been WAY faster. Elroy is only 13 miles from the interstate along Highway 82.

Only drive to Reedsburg if you are going to the 400 Trail.

You are perfectly logical except Baraboo/Reedsburg has an irresistible attraction for us. The Devils Lake State Park. We are visiting that place for over 40 years and have our little corner of paradise in that park.

We will go North on US-12 back to I-90 and to Mauston as you say. Next week we will go to Camp Campbell and the Omaha trail per your suggestion.

Tom Bombadil 07-12-08 04:33 PM

You mean Camp Douglas.

I really like Baraboo and Devil's Lake too. Although you wouldn't normally go to Reedsburg to go to either Baraboo or Devil's Lake. You should be able to get to both of them without getting into that flooded area around Reedsburg. Just stay on Highway 12 and don't go over on 33. Take 12 up to the Dells to hit I-90 and then go up to Mauston / Camp Douglas.

Baraboo has a very nice downtown ... around their courthouse square.

megaman 07-12-08 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will dehne (Post 7046782)

We will go North on US-12 back to I-90 and to Mauston as you say. Next week we will go to Camp Campbell and the Omaha trail per your suggestion.

When are you going to ride the Omaha Trail?

will dehne 07-12-08 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 7047410)
You mean Camp Douglas.

I really like Baraboo and Devil's Lake too. Although you wouldn't normally go to Reedsburg to go to either Baraboo or Devil's Lake. You should be able to get to both of them without getting into that flooded area around Reedsburg. Just stay on Highway 12 and don't go over on 33. Take 12 up to the Dells to hit I-90 and then go up to Mauston / Camp Douglas.

Baraboo has a very nice downtown ... around their courthouse square.

You are correct. Camp Douglas it is.
We are old timers in that area and know every restaurant and what food and wine they have. So we are not doing what is logical.

will dehne 07-12-08 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megaman (Post 7048010)
When are you going to ride the Omaha Trail?

In one week weather permitting. The weather has been something to talk about. We had another big storm. I had to climb over some fallen trees on Sugar River Trail Yesterday.