Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ miles on a whim

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ miles on a whim

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ miles on a whim

I've been quite busy working this summer and have neglected my riding a bit, but, today (well, yesterday, Saturday), I decided on a whim to take a ride. I pumped up my tires, put my camera bag on my back, and off I went, traversing some of my favorite routes.

Four hours later, I finished what turned out to be a 52 mile ride with one stop at Bull's Island in NJ, and another to shoot pictures of the locomotive in action in New Hope, PA.

It felt great to be making a longer ride, although towards the end, my legs were starting to cramp up a bit.

I didn't drink any fluids for the first couple of hours (during which I covered 30 miles). Then, I took around a 30 minute break at Bull's Island during which I drank two bottles of water. I made a point of not hurrying on the return trip, stopping in New Hope, and later at a Rita's for a large Misto (mmmm.....). I stopped at the Rita's because I really needed to take a break. It was hot, and I felt like I needed something cold and wet. The Rita's and the break really hit the spot.

Except for the mild cramping that occurred over the last four miles, I felt fine. When I got home, I crawled under a blanket to keep warm (just to make certain I didn't really cramp up), took a half hour nap, and was good as new.

I lugged my camera gear in a back pack style bag that I purchased with bike riding in mind. Fully loaded (as it was today), it weighs around five pounds. I should look into a similar, but much smaller bag that just carries my cam and one lens. The camera with lens weighs a couple of pounds, probably.

All in all, though, I was pleased that I could still make that distance with relative ease when not being really in good riding shape, and I have not done the math, but it appears that my rolling average speed was respectable, and my route took me across the length of Rt 232, which has a number of steep hills (steep for around here), and also route 202, that also has some long steep inclines.

. . . have to do it again.

Caruso
Old 07-13-08, 01:31 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Sure is nice to get in a ride when you have been short on the mileage. Even better to get in a long one with no major issues.

My time in the saddle is way down this year but the last 2 weeks I've been successful with lots of 20 - 30 mile jaunts.
Old 07-13-08, 01:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Great to do an unexpected ride on a whim. Especially when it has has such an enjoyable ride to boot. Don't forget the recovery ride today to stretch those muscles. gentle pace to get the legs moving and recover.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-13-08, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carusoswi: Nice to see that you're riding, even if intermittently. I haven't seen any posts from you for a bit (which could mean I simply missed them), and was wondering about you last week.
Old 07-14-08, 04:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Carusoswi: Nice to see that you're riding, even if intermittently. I haven't seen any posts from you for a bit (which could mean I simply missed them), and was wondering about you last week.
Nice of you to be thinking about me. I've been working really long hard hours - productive time, so I'm not complaining, but the bike has spent several weekends this summer in the garage. We are grooming our place for upcoming nuptials, so, between that activity and more time devoted to business chores, my riding time has been down a bit.

The last time I came back with a long ride after a lay-off, the ride wasn't as long, but I thought I was going to self destruct. I wish I could put my finger on what was different this weekend.

I admit to being dog tired when I got back, but it seems my system recovered quickly, and I was sociable during the evening hours. Sometimes, if I've overdone it, I just curl up under a blanket and sleep the rest of the day away - quite enjoyable for me, frankly, but the Mrs. is never thrilled, LOL.

My recovery ride time was spent doing yard work, climbing trees to saw off some branches that needed to go, and then sawing/chipping etc. to clean up the mess I had made.

Not great cardio, I suppose, but the isometrics have me more sore today than I was yesterday morning following my long ride.

Both activities were quite enjoyable, however.

Have a great week.

Caruso
Old 07-14-08, 06:30 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
I've been quite busy working this summer and have neglected my riding a bit, but, today (well, yesterday, Saturday), I decided on a whim to take a ride. I pumped up my tires, put my camera bag on my back, and off I went, traversing some of my favorite routes.
Often those unplanned rides turn out to be some of the best

Where are the pics??

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-14-08, 12:25 PM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a couple fifty milers in the last month with similar results. The first one I didn't drink anything for the first thirty miles and was starting to cramp during the last seven miles. The second time out I started drinking water fairly early in the ride and the legs were just starting to tighten up in the last couple of miles. Right after that I bought a double cage for my seat post, so now I can carry four water bottles with me. On July 4th I did a sixty-five mile solo ride and I filled two of the bottles with sport drinks and two of them with water. When I got back I only had a half a bottle of water left and my legs weren't cramping at all. I'd also had a couple gel packs and some dried bananas during my ride. Hydrating and eating during a ride is something I have to force myself to do, but the dividends are worth it.
Old 07-14-08, 05:45 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Congrats on breaking the slump and enjoying a good ride. But...