Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A 50+er queries the Hincapie clothing line (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/442454-50-er-queries-hincapie-clothing-line.html)

The Weak Link 07-17-08 12:20 PM

A 50+er queries the Hincapie clothing line

I just clicked on one of the ads above for Hincapie's stuff. It looks pretty good to me.

I'm due a new pair of bib shorts for my 56th birthday in September. I also really respect ol' George for his selfless efforts for his team. He looked even happier about Cavendish's finish yesterday than Cavendish did.

So I'd like to support him, but not if his clothing sucks.

Anyone ever wear his stuff? It's pricey but not pain-in-the-Assos level. And I'm looking specifically at bib shorts.

stapfam 07-17-08 12:28 PM

Don't know about the Hincapie range but Giordana is my pick. I went into the LBS to order Assos bibs and they talked me into saving some money by getting the Goirdana. They are comfortable- but I do recommend Trying them first for fit- Us Europeans differ on sizing to the US.

Retro Grouch 07-17-08 12:28 PM

Don't know about bike shorts but I'm wearing a Hincapie T-shirt right now. I bought it at the Tour of Missouri last year and like it a lot.

shmulb 07-17-08 01:14 PM

I wear Hincapie Bib shorts and love them. I have ridden up to 65 miles with no problems. They are high quality and very well made. My only problem is that I am rather short and have narrow shoulders, so when I am off the bike walking around they tend to slip off my shoulders. But in a riding position that is not a problem. My wife also has 2 pairs of the womens bibs and loves them also.

George 07-17-08 01:22 PM

I bought one of his jerseys a few months ago and I think it's the best ones I ever bought. I hope I get another one for my birthday.:D

Mojo Slim 07-17-08 02:11 PM

I have a pair of Hincapie shorts which I like just fine. I have put lots of miles on them with no problems. Like Stapfam, I really like Giordana. I have 5 pair of good shorts (3 Giordana's, 1 Hincapie and 1 Louis Garneau). They are all different, which I think is a good idea, especially on a multi-day ride or when you might ride 2-4 days in a row on your regular schedule.

jppe 07-17-08 06:05 PM

I have a variety of Hincapie stuff-very, very good...his jerseys are my favorite. Come to think about it I have a variety of all the major brand stuff.......

Tom Bombadil 07-17-08 06:38 PM

Is that Hincapie line available at Target or Kohl's?

cccorlew 07-17-08 06:59 PM

Not a huge purchase, but the Hincapie branded wool socks I got are my favs.

hoo_koo 07-17-08 08:35 PM

I've got a Hincapie full-zip jersey that is one of my faves. Light & breathable, and great in hot weather. Sizing-wise it's bigger than the same sized jerseys by PI & Voler. But well-made with some nice details. I'd like to get some of their bibs too...

Rick@OCRR 07-17-08 10:23 PM

I really respect George as a rider, and esp. enjoyed his Tour stage win in 2005! Haven't tried his clothing line yet since none of the bike shops I frequent carry the line.

Guess I could go on-line, but it's more difficult to try things on that way . . .

Plus, I agree with the above: Giordona is excellent, Assos is too expensive and Pearl Izumi is right up there too, quality wise.

Rick / OCRR

stapfam 07-18-08 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 7082395)
Not a huge purchase, but the Hincapie branded wool socks I got are my favs.

Are these marked L&R or R&L ;);)

NealH 07-18-08 03:02 AM

I don't own any Hincappie bibs but, I've heard nothing but good things about them - even for very long rides. I do have one of their jerseys and, as has already been stated, it is very nicely made and cut well . One of my favorites.

oilman_15106 07-18-08 01:28 PM

Bought a jersey off scambay and like it very much, will wear on tomorrow's century ride. Also bought a sleeveless tri top in a men's medium and it fits like an X-small. So the advice is try it on because it depends on the line of their clothes for the fit.

PAlt 07-18-08 03:46 PM

Own a couple of Hincappie jersys...will just echo all the previous posters observations

mandopickr 07-19-08 06:20 PM

hincapie clothing

Quality is very good, Hincapie's clothing is manufactured in factory owned by family member, which means they have control of quality. His brother manages the business, and is very active in local cycling circles where he organizes and promotes races. They give back to the sport not only financially but also with their hard work.