Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding more miles

Old 07-20-08, 06:39 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding more miles

I cant understand what's going on. I've been riding more miles and I'm gaining weight. I think maybe, I'm drinking to much water. Anyway I gained 5 pounds in the last week and I hope it's temporary. I'm back up to 198#. I went out Friday and did a 50 miler and I came back and jumped on the scale and I weight 2 pounds more. It's pretty hot out, you would think I would have lost 3 pounds. The only thing I can think of, is to much water, but that doesn't sound logical, because you need more water in this hot weather, any hints. I don't think I could gain that much muscle from a few rides. I could only wish that I could.
Old 07-20-08, 06:42 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't weight yourself after a ride. Weigh first thing in the morning.
If you're riding more it could be muscle weight gain, which is always a good thing.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-20-08, 06:54 AM
George

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Don't weight yourself after a ride. Weigh first thing in the morning.
If you're riding more it could be muscle weight gain, which is always a good thing.
I thought you were to weigh yourself before and after to see how much water you lost, thanks for the reply.
Old 07-20-08, 09:22 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A fast gain or loss of weight is most probably fluids. Any consumption of foods with sodium will make that worse. Much worse if you do fries or soda.
It has been my experience (and my wife's) that weight loss by means of biking is difficult.

I do a typical 50 mile ride on just one Gu Gel. I used to use Gatorade but cut that out because of calories.
I do 2-4 hours exercise/day and my wife 2 hours. Neither one looses weight but we look and feel in excellent health at 66.
We both like to eat good stuff and I like Wine and Brandy.
I know that I will loose weight if I cut out these things but it is a lifestyle choice.
Old 07-20-08, 09:48 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George, are you sure you're not looking at pictures of donuts? I gain weight just LOOKING at stuff like that.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-20-08, 10:04 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George - Since you are riding more are you also eating more? If so, perhaps you're eating more than you think you're burning off. That doesn't explain the difference between your pre- and post-ride weights, but it could explain your weight gain over a week.

Will - That may explain the stubbornness of the last 5 pounds I want to lose. The previous 25 lbs. were easy as soon as we bought the bikes -- it seemed to melt off. But now that we can ride much further and longer, perhaps we require more energy than I am taking in, less energy than I'm burning off, or I'm adding muscle as I'm losing fat, or............. perhaps I don't really need to lose those last 5 pounds at all.
Old 07-20-08, 10:14 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Analyze the calories of what you are eating overall, don't kid yourself, do an honest assessment. Riding consumes calories but not a huge amount, depending on your effort it can be from 600 to 1000 cal/hour. If your normal resting daily calorie burn is 2000 cal and you add a two hour ride to that then you may be at 3500 cal for the day. If you want to loose weight then your cal intake should be around 3000 for that day. It takes a 3500 cal deficit to loose one pound and about 1lb/week is a good rate.

What I find with riding it is too easy to come home and have a beer (or 2) and come dinner an extra big helping (or 2) and before long I have put in more calories than the ride took away and I find myself gaining weight - one seasaon a few yeaars back I put on 10 lbs riding . So I measure helpings and push away from the table - I also limit the beer/wine intake. I typically loose about 0.5 to 1lb/week. Since late April I have droped 10 lbs and am back to the weight I was last Oct. I am shooting for 6 more lbs and thats light enough.
Old 07-20-08, 10:24 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might try FitDay.com, where you can track your intake and output and see if there are any surprises. I see this site often recommended on the Training & Nutrition forum here at BF.
Old 07-20-08, 10:30 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
50 to 70 KCal per mile.

So, maybe one pound lost on a 70 mile ride.

One cup of water weighs 1/2 pound.

Weigh at the same time each time you weigh. I weigh in the am, after awakening.
Old 07-20-08, 10:51 AM
George

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't eat a lot of junk food, some cookies just about everyday, but I don't drink beer of soda. I just started a little bit of a different program now. I don't eat breakfast before riding, I just take some Whey protein and some Hammer Gel. I put the Hammer Heed in both bottles now and no Gatorade. I try to stay away from sugar as much as I can. I'm starting to think it may be that I'm holding to much water. Since I started this change I'm gaining about a pound a ride. I stop to mix another bottle of Hammer Heed after about 30 miles and then ride another 20 or so. In this heat you would think I would come back 10 pounds lighter. Anyway thanks for all the great replies.
Old 07-20-08, 12:11 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George,

Heed has as much calories as Gatoraid - and depending on how you mix it may have more or less.
Guu gels are 100c/pack - others vary +/- 20 cal/pack (Hammer Gels are 90). 1 scoop of hammer whey protien is about 100 cal.

So it sounds like for your 50 mile ride you might be putting in as much as 500 cal and putting out maybe 2000 to 2500 cal. depending on your effort. If you are eatoing another 2000 cal during the day you should be steadily loosing weight.

I find my weight fluctuates as much as +/-3 lbs from day to day but if I am careful on my intake the average falls week over week.
Old 07-20-08, 01:17 PM
Halfast
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Miyata, Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lack of weight loss is my BIGGEST disappointment in biking. When I was running, training for marathons, I could eat/drink anything and not gain on my puny 150 lbs. Now, for the last 7 weeks I have averaged 210 miles/wk with no weight loss from my 185 lbs. I have 4700 miles this year so far.

I certainly DO NOT agree with DnvrFox that the calorie burn is 50-75 per mile!! I do not ride slow, and all my computations say around 45/mile. If I got 70/mile I would be 150 lbs!!
Old 07-20-08, 01:28 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfast View Post
Lack of weight loss is my BIGGEST disappointment in biking. When I was running, training for marathons, I could eat/drink anything and not gain on my puny 150 lbs. Now, for the last 7 weeks I have averaged 210 miles/wk with no weight loss from my 185 lbs. I have 4700 miles this year so far.

I certainly DO NOT agree with DnvrFox that the calorie burn is 50-75 per mile!! I do not ride slow, and all my computations say around 45/mile. If I got 70/mile I would be 150 lbs!!
The difference in cycling is duration; most people don't run 2-3 hours/day, 4-5 or more days/week.
Old 07-20-08, 01:42 PM
Halfast
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
The difference in cycling is duration; most people don't run 2-3 hours/day, 4-5 or more days/week.
I agree that you have to cycle 2-2 1/2 times as long as running for the same effort. Running is 100 calories/mile, so my 60 mile/week average running for a year was 6000 calories/week, or close to 2 lbs.
I am riding more than 3 times as far as that and the weight stays on, that is my point. I am riding about 14 hours/week now training for the Hotter n' Hell 100 on Aug. 23rd. My training is now peaking. My weight stays on however.
Old 07-20-08, 02:52 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also gained about 5 lbs in the past week. I weigh first thing in the morning.

I commuted to a 38 mile training ride yesterday for a 62 mile total ride. The training ride was well supported with lots of muffins, bread, fig bars, cookies, Gatorade, etc at the beginning plus a couple of rest stops along the way. During the ride, I ate my share of carbs... and then some.

Funny thing, I felt strong pretty much throughout the ride... had my fastest average yet (18+ for the training ride) and felt like I could have easily done a century. Looks like there's much I need to learn about nutrition.

What that suggests to me is that I can either (eat well and go fast) or (lose weight).

But I want to do both!
Old 07-20-08, 02:56 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
P-u-s-h away from the table . . .
Old 07-20-08, 03:08 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on a (successful) weight loss program for 19 months now (lost over 60 pounds). I have been tracking my weight religiously every morning, and tracking my exercise as well.

I can tell you that in my own case there is very little correlation between how much I ride and how much weight I lose. It's all about how much you eat. It's very easy to consume in 5 minutes of snacking by the frig what you burned in an hours-long ride.

In fact, there are some weeks when I think the psychology of bike riding makes it harder to lose weight ('Hey, I'm riding so much, I deserve a snack', or 'I rode my bike to work today, I can eat a bigger lunch.').
Old 07-20-08, 04:49 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
I've been on a (successful) weight loss program for 19 months now (lost over 60 pounds). I have been tracking my weight religiously every morning, and tracking my exercise as well.

I can tell you that in my own case there is very little correlation between how much I ride and how much weight I lose. It's all about how much you eat. It's very easy to consume in 5 minutes of snacking by the frig what you burned in an hours-long ride.

In fact, there are some weeks when I think the psychology of bike riding makes it harder to lose weight ('Hey, I'm riding so much, I deserve a snack', or 'I rode my bike to work today, I can eat a bigger lunch.').
+1 - BINGO

I have lost weight with out exercise and I have lost weight with exercise. Exercise makes it easier and your body looks better in the end. Biking will help you loose weight but you can't eat like a horse. I have never lost weight by exercise alone - whether it be biking, skiing or aerobics and I have done them all. If your fat you won't climb well - you may go fast on the flats but when the hills come you will struggle, in a club ride this is where they will drop you.
Old 07-20-08, 04:49 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Eat
Less
Exercise
More
Old 07-20-08, 05:08 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In fact, there are some weeks when I think the psychology of bike riding makes it harder to lose weight ('Hey, I'm riding so much, I deserve a snack', or 'I rode my bike to work today, I can eat a bigger lunch.')
I couldn't agree more. Darn it.

One of the things I miss most about being younger is the ability to eat as much of whatever I want without worrying about weight gain.

OTOH, I wonder if a fast metabolism means that you age quicker.
Old 07-20-08, 05:16 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Halfast View Post
You are allowed to disagree - just be gentle! After all, I am on vacation.

Firstly, I wrote 50 - 70 KCal/mile, NOT 50 - 75.

Secondly, it depends upon your own weight, speed, wind resistance, hills, bike you are riding, drafting?, and the cosmic state. Certainly 45 per mile is pretty darn close to the 50 per mile I stated on the low side. Google around, and you will find all sorts of interesting figures for calories burned.

But, the figures were only illustrative of the fact that it takes a lot of bicycling to lose a pound.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-08 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 05:26 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For example:

http://www.drgily.com/exercise-calorie-counter.php

These are figures for my weight:

"You burned 1285 calories by Bicycling, 17-18 mph, fast for 60 minutes."

This equates to 73 calories per mile assuming 17.5 mph average"

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-08 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 05:38 PM
George

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't seem to get anymore out of my body from riding, so I guess I'll have to stop the cookies. I really don't eat that much junk food and can't believe I would gain that much from the little that I eat, but I'll let you know what happens. I look to see how many calories I burn and can't believe that I could pass that up with the little I eat. I have to get down to 190 by spring and I'm going to give it a heck of a try. Thanks very much for all the replies.
Old 07-20-08, 05:42 PM
Halfast
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DnvrFox,

I apologize if I made you feel uncomfrtable on your vacation. I have seen these calculators, and I just have a hard time relating to it with all the riding I am doing with no weight loss! Could it possible be my old age and beer consumption that is overriding my riding calorie burning??
Old 07-20-08, 05:49 PM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts
I have found that increased mileage makes me very hungry. I can easily consume more calories than I burn. This is especially true on the day after the ride if it is a rest day. If you are similar, beware.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.