Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good Morning, 50+ers!! What are your plans today?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-20-08, 08:16 AM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts

I'm going to take the dog to the lake for a leisurely stroll (2 mile loop) then come back for lunch. After that I plan on taking the bike down to the MUP. Easy day today.

How about you?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-20-08, 08:24 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts
Ride to the coast, San Gregorio, over Skyline from Canada / 92 and back ~ 50 miles.

Watch the TdF when I return. It should be a great stage today.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-20-08 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-20-08, 08:30 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd like to ride my bike (duh). I just got back from a week vacation and my bike is looking at me wistfully. I'm balancing the pros and cons right now, the cons being spouse stress (don't ask me why), a possible 5-10 pound weight gain (not sure how much I gained, and I'm afraid to stand on the scales), and rusty, or mayber rejunenated well-rested legs.

We'll see.
Old 07-20-08, 08:31 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take my granddaughter to the State Park and whine about my bike being in the shop. I broke a spoke on the rear wheel. The owner of the lbs tried to suggest my being slightly oversized might have something to do with it. Don't see how that could have anything to do with it, I'm down to 265

They called while we were out and said the bike was ready. I can get it back in the Morning!
Old 07-20-08, 08:34 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife and I are vacationing in the San Juan Islands area north of Seattle, sans bicycles.

Yesterday, we did San Juan Island proper. Tremendous number of bicyclists, even though the roads are narrow and the traffic is heavy. Had an amazing ride/island tour on a public bus with a driver who also narrated and knew an amazing amount of details about just everything on the island, Orca whales, etc.

Today, we will journey to Deception Pass - an ocean passage between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands with the typical boat ride excursion.

We would rent bikes, but we can hardly ever find a bike shop with a "ladies" bike which my wife needs because of her knee problems.

Tomorrow to Orcas Island.

Tuesday - home again.
Old 07-20-08, 08:37 AM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40-50 mi. today. Just trying to get my fitness / endurance back from patella femoral syndrome from June event ride. Tough to be disciplined enough to take it easy & not push too hard. Lost a lot of training, conditioning while off the bike for 3 weeks, this season blown up a bit
Old 07-20-08, 08:40 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Patched 5 tubes. Clean the bike up. Cut grass in the back yard. Watch Indy cars on ABC.
Old 07-20-08, 08:52 AM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

10 Wheels patched five tubes. Hee hee. That's funny.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-20-08, 08:52 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent the *entire day* yesterday -- until Midnight -- doing tech support stuff at home. Mainly backing up files on the home network, making sure that our photos and music are backed up, dealing with a non-functioning external hard drive. Seems like I lose one a day once a year to dealing with this (I had a hard drive crash at home 5 years ago and it has made me intensely phobic about losing personal data like digital photos, etc. Now I lose track of the backups...).

I missed some beautiful riding weather yesterday, so (having just spent another frustrating 30 minutes on the phone trying to cure a balky xternal hard drive), I am now leaving home to ride off my frustration, hoping to do 40 or 50 miles.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 07-20-08 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-20-08, 08:53 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
I'm going to take the dog to the lake for a leisurely stroll (2 mile loop)
Good for you! Maybe when you get done you could come over here and take out some of these BIG dogs that people leave penned up around our place. Many houses in fact don't even stop with just one dog.

It's a darn shame, the poor creatures being ignored and stuck in a pen day in and day out.

There, got it off my chest.
Old 07-20-08, 08:53 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did laundry already. Going to work on my resume and portfolio. Probably pedal to the grocery store early evening.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-20-08, 08:56 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was just checking locally in Mt Vernon, WA for a swimming pool and found this at the local YMCA's web site:

It struck me as quite amusing if you visually picture the actual language in action.

WE ARE ENCOURAGING OUR SWIMSUIT
ONLY POLICY. STREET CLOTHES ARE NO
LONGER ALLOWED IN OUR POOL.
Old 07-20-08, 09:03 AM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Good for you! Maybe when you get done you could come over here and take out some of these BIG dogs that people leave penned up around our place. Many houses in fact don't even stop with just one dog.

It's a darn shame, the poor creatures being ignored and stuck in a pen day in and day out.

There, got it off my chest.

Awww that's too bad. I couldn't imagine leaving a dog penned up. It's like being locked in your bathroom for hours on end.

I have three big dogs (Lab/Newfoundland mix, Lab/Shep mix, and Lab/Coyote mix). It's hard to take all three out at once due to the fact that I like to spend a lot of one on one time with them. They seem to be calm when I'm alone with them and they love the attention. So I alternate taking the dogs out. One in the morning or before work and one after work.

They have a big yard dedicated to their use - matter of fact, I've been having the yard leveled out (the yard slopes) so they can have more use of it.

If one doesn't have the time to care for another being they should leave the pleasure to another who can.

Here's me with the Lab/Shep mix (Trinity):

Here's the Lab/Coyote mix (Sooty):

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 07-20-08 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-20-08, 09:28 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
I did laundry already. Going to work on my resume and portfolio. Probably pedal to the grocery store early evening.
Hey, that makes two of us regarding laundry!

My GF and I may drive up to Anaheim. There's a model railroad convention or something going on up there this weekend.

Get this: not only does she like biking, but she also loves model railroading!

Whoa!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-20-08, 09:41 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taking my new-to-me folder over to the Bike Oven to replace some bearings then going over to the Bicycle Film Festival Block Party on Heliotrope with some friends...
Old 07-20-08, 09:43 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
House work and repairs then, barring our usual afternoon thunderstorm around 20 miles with the wife on the local roads. Nice pups SIU!

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 07-20-08, 10:28 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to do our 40+ ride and start building up the miles again. While our first century is still a ways off (I don't have time to commit to serious training every weekend -- life happens), I would like to be able to do a metric any ol' time. If a group plans a metric, I'd like to know we can join them without hesitation (depending on their average mph).

The weather was cooler yesterday (mid-80s) and if it's the same today, it should be a nice day for a ride.
Old 07-20-08, 10:41 AM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today, is stretching and recovery only. That's because YESTERDAY, my son and I did the climb up the trails and fire roads from Elizabeth Furnace to Signal Knob in the George Washington National Forest (For those of you outside the US, that's a government-managed forest in Virginia near Front Royal.). Heat and humidity just about equal (and both mid-nineties), brutal. Beautiful and satisfying ride though; my son "flushed" out a black bear at close range and thrilled the Be-Jeezers out of both of us.
Old 07-20-08, 10:55 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I needed a recovery day, so I put a new chain on the bike and my son is coming over to true some wheels. What kind of Sunday is that.
Old 07-20-08, 11:27 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No riding for me this week. I'm in Canton Ohio with three of my daughters, one that I hadn't seen for a year. Yesterday we were out in Holmes County, in Berlin & Millersburg, enjoying the old-time flavor of that area. In a couple of days it will be on to West Virginia to see more family. Back to Wisconsin next weekend.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-20-08, 11:47 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my riding buddies just got back from a week vacation and wanted to ride, the other is away for the weekend so I rode for 42 miles. I wanted a light day as I hammered pretty hard yesterday on the 50 mile club ride - I kept the HR below my hard training level but it was still higher than I would have liked, my friend was well rested and I did not want to slow him down too much. Did not have my usual power on the hills so I drifted behind a little on the climbs. Definately NO RIDING tomorrow - I need a solid recovery day.

Thanks for asking - BTW, like the hounds and the owner ain't bad either
Old 07-20-08, 12:06 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 11010 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
For all you westerners, the day is already more than half over here. Back from the ride already.............it is very, very humid here so the ride involved more stopping at the tops of hills to observe nature first hand. It was difficult to hear it over the rasping breath of the guy on the bike...

I will spend some of the remaining day contemplating an EBAY purchase of a Profile Design Razor AL seatpost for the TT bike. Then the seatpost on that bike can be moved to the dormouse as its seatpost constantly slips. That slipping post can then be stripped and repainted with a nice new crinkle finish non slip surface and.....................well, that should take care of the rest of the day.

If I have any spare time maybe I'll take a nap......
Old 07-20-08, 01:50 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding in summertime rules.

There's nothing like coming back from a ride in da boonies, cutting through residential neighborhoods, and smelling the grills being cranked up for BBQ of this that and the other.

It's also nice not to have to wear 5 layers of clothing, wool socks, booties, etc etc.
Old 07-20-08, 01:51 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
Hey, that makes two of us regarding laundry!

My GF and I may drive up to Anaheim. There's a model railroad convention or something going on up there this weekend.

Get this: not only does she like biking, but she also loves model railroading!

Whoa!
I think I'm gonna puke. Actually, you're very lucky and deserve someone to make you happy.
Old 07-20-08, 01:57 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed this on Saturday but I'll still report. Went out with a buddy and some dogs for a few hours - started at daylight to avoid the heat. We didn't get anything but soaked to the waist from the extremely heavy dew. Then I went home, made about half a round with the estupid lawnmower before I hit a rock and broke it for the second time this month, became lawnmower repair man for an hour or so, and then helped Lovey with a little painting project.

This morning I got up and did a nice 25 mile out and back. It was a beautiful day - felt like I was flying, did the out leg in my best time ever, drank a gatorade in the shade standing on the Finley river bridge watching fish play below. Then rode towards home at a more reasonable pace. Had cramps, drank another gatorade and some peanut butter crackers, stretched the cramps out and then finished the ride.

Summertime, and the living is easy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.