Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT: 50+: Poll

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Feeling uneasy lately?
Yes
34.92%
No
55.56%
Maybe So
9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

OT: 50+: Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF

My music instructor says the key is to have the guitar, music, music stand, good lighting, whatever, arranged so all you have to do to "get ready" is pick up the guitar. I've got mine on a stand near the kitchen so I can sit down and practice a few minutes when I'm waiting for water to boil, etc. This also has the benefit of keeping the guitar visible to remind me it's there. And to admire it! Much better looking out on its stand than in that functional, but ugly, black cordura case.

I'm so happy that all of my hobbies are rather inexpensive now that the initial investment is over. Knitting, cycling, and guitar.
And a Left Handed Guitar like the one in your avitar? I also used to keep some good
reading nearby, back then comic books, to slip inside my music lesson book. I'ld read
the comic book while doing those boring finger exercise skillsets over & over & over...
'till my folks caught me at it one day. They weren't amused.
Old 10-11-08, 10:06 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

This could be the best thing that ever happened to us. Maybe we need something to force us back to believing that a roof over our heads, a working car that runs, clothes on the kids, food on the table, and a little extra spending money is plenty and learn to be happy with that. Running ourselves into debt to have everything NOW has become the American way of life, a new standard by which we measure how we're doing compared with the Jones. How about comparing ourselves with the rest of the world for a more realistic standard. Just watch the HGTV shows in which couples are shopping for a new house -- they want to replace perfectly good kitchen countertop material just because it is "dated". Somewhere on the other side of the world a woman is washing her family's clothes in the creek while her kids run around shoeless, and we're fretting over countertop materials. I did that myself a few years ago when the grout in our new tile wasn't the color we expected; I got my wake-up call the next morning with a photo of two Iraqi boys on the cover of the L.A. Times -- one of them was crying over his dead brother's body. Suddenly the new tile floor meant NOTHING, and I try to keep that mental picture in my head. We need a wake-up call to remind us what's really important and the road to true happiness isn't paved with "stuff" we buy with credit cards and unqualified loans.

Originally Posted by djnzlab1
HI,
I know this seems unreal the last few months, we have to realize that most of its spin from our newspeople and televsion which leads to panic in the stock market. Gas prices were driven by speculation and short term investing trying to make a buck.
The banks are in trouble from over investing practices that have been very competative but unrealistic, endorsements of risky people.
Most Americans are way off their budgets with credit card debts, so the broke banks are trying to freeze or drop credit limits.
So the engine of economics is completly stopped.
And then theres Jobs how much stuff is now made and bought and imported from China when I was a kid we used to buy made in USA.
I think this may be the worst Christmas ever for most Dept Stores.
We are going to have to re-think America do we need to stop sticking our nose in Other Countries and maybe fix healthcare for everyone.
Greed needs to stop, the brakes need to be put on, we need to fix the Engine of economics in this Country ASAP.
My thoughts, and yes I ams very nervous at age 58 Looking at retirement, with a huge loss in the Stockmarket 401K
Doug
Old 10-11-08, 10:09 AM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yen
+1

this could be the best thing that ever happened to us. Maybe we need something to force us back to believing that a roof over our heads, a working car that runs, clothes on the kids, food on the table, and a little extra spending money is plenty and learn to be happy with that. Running ourselves into debt to have everything now has become the american way of life, a new standard by which we measure how we're doing compared with the jones. How about comparing ourselves with the rest of the world for a more realistic standard. Just watch the hgtv shows in which couples are shopping for a new house -- they want to replace perfectly good kitchen countertop material just because it is "dated". Somewhere on the other side of the world a woman is washing her family's clothes in the creek while her kids run around shoeless, and we're fretting over countertop materials. I did that myself a few years ago when the grout in our new tile wasn't the color we expected; i got my wake-up call the next morning with a photo of two iraqi boys on the cover of the l.a. Times -- one of them was crying over his dead brother's body. Suddenly the new tile floor meant nothing, and i try to keep that mental picture in my head. We need a wake-up call to remind us what's really important and the road to true happiness isn't paved with "stuff" we buy with credit cards and unqualified loans.
+1,000
Old 10-11-08, 10:11 AM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
And a Left Handed Guitar like the one in your avitar? I also used to keep some good
reading nearby, back then comic books, to slip inside my music lesson book. I'ld read
the comic book while doing those boring finger exercise skillsets over & over & over...
'till my folks caught me at it one day. They weren't amused.
I'll have to change that avatar. I have a fondness for southpaws (they tend to be the most creative people I know), but cannot count myself amoung their ranks. A solid righty. Stay tuned for a more accurate image of my guitar.
Old 10-11-08, 11:04 AM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There. A Seagull Coastline S6 Burst with a glossy finish.
Old 10-11-08, 11:10 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
I'll have to change that avatar. I have a fondness for southpaws (they tend to be the most creative people I know), but cannot count myself amoung their ranks. A solid righty. Stay tuned for a more accurate image of my guitar.
Speaking of left-handed guitar players...one of my favorite bike rides goes near Jimi Hendrix's gravesite.

I'm headed out that way today, I think, to follow the Cedar River up to some salmon spawning sites. They have a naturalist out explaining the salmon today:

https://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archi...9/3923569.html

If I make one killer climb up the a plateau overlooking the Cedar River valley, I could stop by to visit Mr. Hendrix:

Last edited by BengeBoy; 10-11-08 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-11-08, 11:16 AM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Speaking of left-handed guitar players...one of my favorite bike rides goes near Jimi Hendrix's gravesite.

Photo to come...
Please include yourself and your bike next to the gravesite. That would be awesome.
Old 10-11-08, 03:18 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
+1

This could be the best thing that ever happened to us. Maybe we need something to force us back to believing that a roof over our heads, a working car that runs, clothes on the kids, food on the table, and a little extra spending money is plenty and learn to be happy with that. Running ourselves into debt to have everything NOW has become the American way of life, a new standard by which we measure how we're doing compared with the Jones. How about comparing ourselves with the rest of the world for a more realistic standard. Just watch the HGTV shows in which couples are shopping for a new house -- they want to replace perfectly good kitchen countertop material just because it is "dated". Somewhere on the other side of the world a woman is washing her family's clothes in the creek while her kids run around shoeless, and we're fretting over countertop materials. I did that myself a few years ago when the grout in our new tile wasn't the color we expected; I got my wake-up call the next morning with a photo of two Iraqi boys on the cover of the L.A. Times -- one of them was crying over his dead brother's body. Suddenly the new tile floor meant NOTHING, and I try to keep that mental picture in my head. We need a wake-up call to remind us what's really important and the road to true happiness isn't paved with "stuff" we buy with credit cards and unqualified loans.
a really nice thought, Yen!

But it means that N is enough, to my Midwestern sensibility.

Actually I've been resisting buying any more bikes for maybe a year, since we got Mrs Road Fan's Cannondale sorted out.
Old 10-11-08, 03:36 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Yen
<<My thoughts, and yes I ams very nervous at age 58 Looking at retirement, with a huge loss in the Stockmarket 401K>>

Well said, but I'm already in retirement and worried sh--tless where this thing and my investments are going to end. The IMF pres has said today that world financial mkts are on the brink of a sytemic meltdown.

Solveg's premonition was right - something awful has happened.
Old 10-11-08, 05:14 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I'm not usually a victim of excess anxiety. But for the past few weeks, I've had kind of itchy sense of foreboding...like something is going happen which will shake my life up. It doesn't affect my activities, but in the morning, when I'm planning my day, I have a sense of urgency in "taking care of business" because I feel something coming.

Anyone else been feeling this lately? It feels kind of like how I imagine dogs feel before a thunderstorm.
I think it's called a:

pre-mo-ni-tion (prem-nishn, prem-)n. 1. A presentiment of the future; a foreboding. 2. A warning in advance; a forewarning.[Late Latin praemonitio, praemonition-, from Latin praemonitus, past participle of praemonere, to forewarn : prae-, pre- + monere, to warn. See men-1.]

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from American Heritage Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

BUT. know that all your friends are here and we will all be thinking of you and about you and hoping all is well.
Old 10-11-08, 10:16 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
a really nice thought, Yen!

But it means that N is enough, to my Midwestern sensibility.

Actually I've been resisting buying any more bikes for maybe a year, since we got Mrs Road Fan's Cannondale sorted out.
I'm not suggesting we don't ever buy something other than the basic necessities. It's OK to be passionate about a hobby, and buying another bike to support that hobby as long as it neatly fits within one's budget and the kids are fed/clothed and other debts are paid. I'm talking about the desire to have the latest/biggest/hottest/trendiest/coolest whatever, just because you gotta have it because it's cool and it's what the Joneses have and next week when you're tired of that, you'll be hankering for the latest cool thing the Smiths just bought, and now you have it and you're wishing you had more, and the credit card bill is through the roof but at least you have that shiny new boat and it's even bigger than the one the Joneses bought and the kids have every toy they ever wanted..... and on and on it goes.

In other words.... I'm not saying we should never eat a piece of pie if we want to manage our weight. Just don't eat a whole pie every day and then wonder why our clothes don't fit.
Old 10-12-08, 06:29 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
We can live in fear or act out of hope...
Old 10-12-08, 06:45 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
In other words.... I'm not saying we should never eat a piece of pie if we want to manage our weight. Just don't eat a whole pie every day and then wonder why our clothes don't fit.

Can I eat a whole pie every day IF I know why my clothes don't fit?
Old 10-12-08, 07:33 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
We can live in fear or act out of hope...
Decisions...decisions.

Or as that great philosopher and center fielder for the New York Yankees once said:

"I don't get upset over things I can't control, because if I can't control them there's no use getting upset. And I don't get upset over the things I can control, because if I can control them there's no use in getting upset."

-Mickey Rivers
Old 10-12-08, 12:29 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 months into a 5 year wait to see which way my 50/50 chances of recurrent lung cancer goes, probably qualifies me as uneasy. My ID in cancer forums is UneasyRider.

Somehow, the price of gas or the crashing stock markets don't seem as important now, though.
Old 10-12-08, 02:08 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reality check, Bud!
Old 10-13-08, 12:04 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 504 Posts
I needed one, too; thanks, Bud!
Old 10-13-08, 12:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hang in there Bud. Been there and after a while you will just get fed up with arranging the time to go to the clinic- just to be told- "All Clear- See you next year"

7 years clear for me now.

Spike Milligan