Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sorry Tom B. I've gone over to the dark side

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 02:04 PM
Specialized Sirrus LTD

Bikes: Secialized Sirrus Ltd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although. I got my first 26" bike in 1961 at the age of 10, I am new to serious cycling. Last fall, I purchased a very nice hybrid the Specialized Sirrus Ltd. It came with Shimano 520R pedals which have a platform suface on one side and an SPD binding on the reverse side. Untill this July I had never gone clipless, using the platform side exclusively. All has changed. I have gone clipless slowly, carefully at first using the spd binding with my left foot only, and keeping my right foot "free". This past week I have gone totally clipless, logging over 100 miles without incident. Sorrry Tom but clipless is a better way to cycle. Hotwired in Milwaukee
Old 07-30-08, 02:17 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Your application form for club Tombay is in the mail........................
Old 07-30-08, 02:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Your application form for club Tombay is in the mail........................
Bonus points for getting a pic as you fall. Extra Bonus points if you do it in front of the neighbours. And life membership if a nurse is on hand to wipe the blood away.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-30-08, 02:20 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At least you didn't go out and buy a road bike.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-30-08, 02:20 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Yet.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-30-08, 02:56 PM
Specialized Sirrus LTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Tom: Was considering trading the Sirrus Ltd in for a Trek Madone 6.9. What are your thoughts?
Old 07-30-08, 03:03 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotwired
Tom: Was considering trading the Sirrus Ltd in for a Trek Madone 6.9. What are your thoughts?
How much extra credit would they be throwing in with the Madone?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-30-08, 03:46 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never heard of going clipless one foot at a time...but whatever works!
Old 07-30-08, 04:07 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Finally you have become a full-fledged participant in the 50+ forum.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-30-08 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 05:33 PM
Boomer

I am returning to my voluntary post as the "membership motivation coordinator" for Club Tombay. As my vacation season has ended in toruista land and I have noticed a 1 to 2 mph slowdown on the trail, the platform pedals are going back into storage untill next time and the A520's are going back on the bikes. This indludes the removal of the training pedals from the TT bike so I'm sure that a new club Tombay story is forthcoming. I just hope that the road rash is held to a minimum. Riding with your chin down on the bar with your feet welded to the pedals is a good way to relearn some of the balance of your youth. It's classic Darwinism at work.................

Congratulations Hotwired, its good to see you over on the dark side. Just remember our Club Tombay motto.............."Pride goeth before a fall".
Old 07-30-08, 07:21 PM
Specialized Sirrus LTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am returning to my voluntary post as the "membership motivation coordinator" for Club Tombay. As my vacation season has ended in toruista land and I have noticed a 1 to 2 mph slowdown on the trail, the platform pedals are going back into storage untill next time and the A520's are going back on the bikes. This indludes the removal of the training pedals from the TT bike so I'm sure that a new club Tombay story is forthcoming. I just hope that the road rash is held to a minimum. Riding with your chin down on the bar with your feet welded to the pedals is a good way to relearn some of the balance of your youth. It's classic Darwinism at work.................

Congratulations Hotwired, its good to see you over on the dark side. Just remember our Club Tombay motto.............."Pride goeth before a fall".
Are style points awarded for creative falls, and can extra credit be earned for blood curdling screams?
Old 07-31-08, 04:17 AM
Boomer

Are style points awarded for creative falls, and can extra credit be earned for blood curdling screams?
Maximum points are earned for harmless (except to your pride) 0mph falls in sensetive locations such as in front of large non biking crowds. The usual excuse is "I forgot". Additional bonus points are awarded for witnesses, pictures or particularly lurid stories about the fall.
Old 07-31-08, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Dark Side? Clipless? That's nuttin'. I thought this thread would be for reporting that he'd bought a 'bent.
Old 07-31-08, 02:04 PM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How can 'bents be the dark side? The regular bikes are the (dare I say it?) the oppressors, like the Empire in Star Wars, while 'bents simply have to be described as the Rebels. Of course, I'm not too sure where that leaves me, on my recumbent *trike*!
- Bob
Old 07-31-08, 02:13 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I thought MTBs were the "dark side". No, come to think about it, all of them - road bikes, comfort bikes, hybrids, MTBs, recumbents, tandems, whatever - are bikes. That's all.
Old 07-31-08, 02:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What do you mean by Creative? The best falls are where you remain in the saddle with feet flailing and going no where- the body jerking as you try to unclip and a sweat on your brow as you realise your impending Doom. All this is acompanied by silence and then you can hear the crunch of the credit card as it hits the deck.

Maximum points are earned for harmless (except to your pride) 0mph falls in sensetive locations such as in front of large non biking crowds. The usual excuse is "I forgot". Additional bonus points are awarded for witnesses, pictures or particularly lurid stories about the fall.
Better reaction from the watching masses if you reply with- "Just checking Gravity and it still works". or some other repost that we haven't heard before.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-31-08, 03:08 PM
Specialized Sirrus LTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not enough of a man to confront certain impending pain in silence. I will be screaming like a baby through out my maiden fall.
Originally Posted by stapfam
What do you mean by Creative? The best falls are where you remain in the saddle with feet flailing and going no where- the body jerking as you try to unclip and a sweat on your brow as you realise your impending Doom. All this is acompanied by silence and then you can hear the crunch of the credit card as it hits the deck.

Better reaction from the watching masses if you reply with- "Just checking Gravity and it still works". or some other repost that we haven't heard before.
Old 07-31-08, 04:56 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm not enough of a man to confront certain impending pain in silence. I will be screaming like a baby through out my maiden fall.
Please try to get that on video.
Old 07-31-08, 10:19 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Thanks stap..... I'm going to keep that handy for when I switch to the dark side any time now.