Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is this normal? I have a new bike-and am already thinking of the next one!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 11:50 AM

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going by what I've read on the forums in my short time here, I guess this phenomena is not as bizarre as I originally thought. I just bought a Specialized Expedition Sport in June (to be exact-DBF bought it for me) so that I could get back into cycling and expedite my efforts to lose weight/become relatively fit as I approach the dreaded "double nickels" birthday.

I'm enjoying riding so much, though, that it looks like I'm going to eventually "outgrow" this style of bicycle. Right now it's perfect; I've been easily doing 10 miles on most of my rides and could see myself going on 20-30 mile rides in the future. If this continues to go well, I'm planning to reward myself in the spring with a bike that might be better suited to longer rides as my stamina and fitness level increase.

So...Already I'm researching a different type of bike for the future, but first have a *lot* to learn about geometry and gearing (Does the gearing vary from one type of recreational bike to another, for example? If so, where can I learn about these things?) before making that purchase. So far, the following models seem to be closest in style and function to what I have in mind: the Specialized Sirrus Sport, Specialized Vita Sport or something in the Trek FX series. I don't want a full-fledged road bike as I don't care for dropped handlebars. I'm not out to become a speed demon, but I would like a bike that will challenge me to a point. I have an old mountain bike-as well as this one-with fatter tires, so a hybrid with 27" wheels seems to be the next logical step.

Would love to hear any comments about the above models, good or bad. Advice is always welcome as well, especially if you have been down a similar path in your cycling ventures.
Old 08-06-08, 11:54 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
"I don't care for dropped handlebars" ????

What experience do you have with drop handlebars?

Most of us DON'T ride "in the drops" much at all, they are reserved for wind resistance and downhills.

Your bars can be as high as you want, and the drop gives you four different hand positions - important as you start riding 40-50-70-100 miles. That is quite different than a 10 mile ride.

You gotta start thinking "road bike" - it is so much more fun on a roadie.

And, yes, it is normal. Save yourself some money and skip the intermediate level bike. You are destined for a road bike.
Old 08-06-08, 02:16 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ooooooo. I've said this before. You have the fever. It's normal. It can only be "cooled" by buying a road bike. However, you will catch it again. It's great.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-06-08, 02:24 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
My recommendations:

1. Buy a full-carbon bike. 105 components are just fine.
2. Get a riser stem and have it installed.
3. Consider buying a fixie, because you don't have one and you think you need one because all the "serious cyclists" already have one or are thinking about getting one too.
Old 08-06-08, 02:52 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You have as long as next year to get to as many local Bike shops as you can- And try out as many different types of bike as you can. Don't worry about the price tag on them as you will only be seeing what feels good to you and might interest you.

Try all the types- Mountain bikes- Hybrids- Road bikes and all the different forms of them. (Comfort-Touring-Racing Etc.) Only advise is not to test the $5,000 bikes- Because if you do - you might be tempted.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-06-08, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
All your desire means is that you still have the wrong bike. By all means, buy another. bk
Old 08-06-08, 03:54 PM
just going for a ride...

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its perfectly normal to keep shopping as you get more fit. The trick is to buy a bike just a little ahead of your fitness level. As DnvrFox said drop handlebars do not need to be ridden in the drops, but the position is there if you need it. In a year I went from a Giant Cypress to two road bikes, one aluminum/carbon frame/105' s, the other an older all aluminum/tiagra for tips to the store.
As many postings in BF say the right number of bikes is n+1.
Old 08-06-08, 03:57 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't tried a road bike, you really should before you make up your mind. They are way more comfortable than they look. I am picking up my new Specialized Tricross Sport this weekend, so that I can ride on gravel more, but I love my Scott Contessa. I went from a MTB to the Contessa and have never been sorry.
Old 08-06-08, 04:23 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I vote normal.
Old 08-06-08, 05:38 PM

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't totally dismissed the idea of a road bike yet, but didn't think it would be comfortable for me. I had a 10 speed at one time with drop handlebars, but this was years ago and I'm sure things have evolved greatly since then. I bought the mountain bike in 1990 because the straight handlebars felt more comfortable, but I'm sure I would be more efficient with 27" wheels. That's why I was leaning toward a hybrid.

I could be proven wrong about the road bike option, and will certainly consider riding some in the coming months. It just seemed that a hybrid would be a comfortable way to give me a little more speed and ease in covering the miles. Like I said, I have a lot to learn and much research to do-and am not afraid to admit it. I'd like to get this right next time around. I am content with my comfort bike for the time being, but can see myself wanting to go much further on my rides as I lose weight and improve my overall fitness level.

The first person who responded said there are 4 hand positions for drop handlebars. What are they? (I can only think of two, myself- in the drops and on top of the handlebar.)
Old 08-06-08, 05:49 PM
Banned.

1. The wheels are now "700's," not 27 inches. 27 inch wheels are no longer built (or at least very rarely built).

2. Hand positions:

On the bars
On the "hoods"
In the "drops"
and
just before the hoods on the curve of the bar.

Each one gives your wrists and muscles a different take, decreasing numbness and fatigue.
Old 08-06-08, 06:17 PM
just going for a ride...

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do try a road bike make sure it is "fit" to you. Many small adjustments can be made that can end up making a world of difference in comfort. Working with your LBS and letting them know what kind of riding you plan on doing helps a lot.
Old 08-06-08, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Everything else has been said, now, Specialized Roubaix.
Old 08-06-08, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Jamis Cruiser, K2 Mod 4.o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I felt the same way you do but took the advice of other cyclist, took me months to decide. I just bought my new road bike last week and am glad I did. It is more comfortable than you think, much better than the 10 speed I remember. You know you really want it!
Old 08-06-08, 07:42 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may not care about speed yet - but as you get fit you will find out how much fun it is. You may never take up racing but you will want to enjoy the rush. On a good road bike you will feel one with the bike - a natural extension of you. The lighter and quicker responding the bike the more it feels this way but that also comes at a price. So I have to agree - start setting your sights on a road bike, and get good components - Ultegra or Chorus, can't recommend SRAM because I have never owned it.
Old 08-06-08, 08:05 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by stapfam
........Only advise is not to test the $5,000 bikes- Because if you do - you might be tempted.
And DO NOT TRY ON THE SIDIS. Avoid even looking in their direction.
Old 08-06-08, 08:05 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Everything else has been said, now, Specialized Roubaix.
+1
Old 08-06-08, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
When the time comes I do suggest you try a road bike or one of the close cousins the cyclocross bike and touring bike. You won't like it now and I can fully understand that. You're not "trained into it" yet.

I went through the whole thing when I started commuting. Upright and comfy was fine at first but as my speed built I found my position and clothing too draggy. I moved the bars down and got slightly snugger fitting jacket and pants. I never did hit the full on "level spine head turned back like a Pez dispenser" riding position of the seroius racers. I'll never be able to bend THAT way at my age. However I did get down to a reasonably aggresive 45 to 50 degree lean and that felt and still feels fine. It's likely you'll get there as well after a few more miles.

Nothing says you need to fit that bike like a racer. But don't confuse the bar shape with a full on racing position. Touring bikes use drop bars but set up quite high for comfort. Yes, comfort. Placing them to the right height and stem spacing provides lots of hand and forearm twist options for moving around to ease strain. And when up on the cross bar the rider is very upright. The drop position being more aggresive but not racing aggresive unless you crouch further. But in this case the drop position is intended for fighting those killer headwinds. And trust me, when the time arrives you'll be thankful for the option as it allows you to spin out whatever fatigue depleted reserves you have over more miles to get back home or to the blessed car or truck.... or so I've heard....

Now the decision for a touring bike or a carbon racing bike or a 29'er mountain bike with road tires will be entirely up to you and how you find you're riding the most. But if you have the room for them having two or three is a nice way to get some variety in your riding. I really love my full suspension trail bike. I equally love my $140 parts special single speed. And I equally love all the others that fit in between that huge gap including the heavy hauler rack and pannier equpped touring bike. They all have a unique feel when you're riding them and that's where the fun is. Picking the ride that best suits the mood and the mission of the day....
Old 08-06-08, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I was riding a mountain bike, an older Specialized Hardrock, but I rode it mostly on the road. I tried some woods trails complete with rocks, roots, trees, briers, hills that only a mountain goat could navigate, creeks, mud holes, and all manner of evil and didn't care for that sort of riding. I bought a Fuji Newest road bike with adjustable angle stem and drop bars. 5,426 miles later (as of today), I'd say I'm pretty happy with it.

At first, the steering seemed to be a bit "twitchy" compared to that of the Hardrock, but now riding the road bike is second nature, and I ride in the drops quite a bit. I was a bit hesitant about the drops, but now I love 'em.
Old 08-06-08, 10:05 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Just to echo a bit what others have said - middle-aged riders of modest fitness and biking skill can certainly ride drop bars, and often prefer them for rides over 5 or 10 miles. You don't have to set your bike up in an aggressive racing position with the handlebars way lower than the seat. That's good for aerodynamics, but hard on your arthritic neck if you're not a youngster, and may make it hard to breathe fully if you have a big stomach. On the other hand, if you're too upright it slows you down both due to poor aerodynamics, and also it's a more difficult position to pedal effectively in.

If you set it up with the tops of the handlebars about level with your seat, so that your torso leans forwards at about 45 degrees, you get a pretty good compromise that won't feel too stretched out or low, or strain your neck, but will allow you to breathe easily and pedal reasonably efficiently.
Old 08-06-08, 10:12 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
. Hand positions:

On the bars
On the "hoods"
In the "drops"
and...
...on the "corners".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
positions.JPG (12.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-06-08, 10:23 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Between the corners and the hoods is on the ramps.
Old 08-07-08, 05:22 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by cooker
...on the "corners".
Thanks - I have never heard anyone say the "corners" and appreciate the new knowledge!
Old 08-07-08, 05:23 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Between the corners and the hoods is on the ramps.
So, does that make 5 hand positions?

ramps
corners
hoods
bars
drops
Old 08-07-08, 05:42 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
infinite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.