Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Biking Short or not that’s my?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 02:10 PM

Bikes: 2007 Trek 2100 58cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just want to know how many riders don’t wear padded biker’s shorts and how far are they riding? I have not bought any biker shorts. At first it was uncomfortable but I only rode for 20 min, Now my long rides are 42 miles (2 hours & 19 min) once a week and it is uncomfortable but each week its less. I started riding about 90 days ago. I’m going to ride in a local 85 mile ride in October. But or not to Buy
Old 08-07-08, 02:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The padding is shorts is not there to give you comfort. What it does though is give an area to sit on that does not have any seams in to save any wrinkle pain and to wick sweat away to stop the wrinkles turning into sores. And as to not riding in shorts-Forget it.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-07-08, 02:17 PM
Senoir Membre

Bikes: Centurion Le Mans, Bianchi Sport, Trek 3500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your thread title makes my head hurt.

I would say since they make an immense difference in confort, and aerodynamics, there are few reasons not to. Why wouldn't you?

If you are looking to justify thinking they aren't helpful enough to spend a bit of money on them, then you will be disappointed by this thread after a few hours. Do a search.

Nobody who cycles seriously and rides for over an hour doesn't wear cycling shorts. It doesn't make sense not to!
Old 08-07-08, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Cant go wrong with these for the price.
https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...YCLING,Cycling
Old 08-07-08, 02:27 PM

Bikes: Cilo 12 speed road bike w/shimano 105 and tange #1 double butted frame,fork and stays...Schwinn criss cross, modified to climb off road..currently treaded for the katy trail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride on the road only, but when i added off road I'd wear my shorts under some khakis. I recently bought some undershorts with pad and perforated legs. GREAT! They go under any shorts I have and Now I can put my cell phone and drivers license in my pockets. Once I get back on the road bike, I'll just put some swim trunks on over them and put the stuff in the bag under the seat. Definitely get some padded shorts...it's an amazing improvement.

God bless!

-Ron
Old 08-07-08, 02:29 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lwla
Just want to know how many riders don’t wear padded biker’s shorts and how far are they riding? I have not bought any biker shorts. At first it was uncomfortable but I only rode for 20 min, Now my long rides are 42 miles (2 hours & 19 min) once a week and it is uncomfortable but each week its less. I started riding about 90 days ago. I’m going to ride in a local 85 mile ride in October. But or not to Buy
BUY!! After 85 miles your butt will thank you

As others have stated the shorts are for preventing chafing, absorb sweat and prevent problems from seams in your clothing. They also compress the muscles in your thighs helping to prevent fatigue.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-07-08, 02:39 PM

Bikes: 2007 Trek 2100 58cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Thanks I like those prices
Old 08-07-08, 02:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Where I live, you get arrested for not wearing your shorts.
Old 08-07-08, 02:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ronbo
I used to ride on the road only, but when i added off road I'd wear my shorts under some khakis. I recently bought some undershorts with pad and perforated legs. GREAT! They go under any shorts I have and Now I can put my cell phone and drivers license in my pockets. Once I get back on the road bike, I'll just put some swim trunks on over them and put the stuff in the bag under the seat. Definitely get some padded shorts...it's an amazing improvement.

God bless!

-Ron
I used to have my cell phone in my pocket at times until I fell - right on my cell phone - and squashed the darn thing.

If I had been hurt, I would have been cell-phone-less. Now I keep it in a place where it can't be hurt by a fall!
Old 08-07-08, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mean to pigeon-hole you, but so many new cyclists resist wearing the tight, padded shorts. Let's face it, unless you're in awfully good shape you're not going to look good in them. Most people don't. But if you're going to be a half-way serious roadie you're going to have to forget about how you look.
Old 08-07-08, 03:18 PM
Banned.

When I swim - I wear a swim suit - AMAZING!
When I hike in the mtns, I wear hiking shorts and shoes - EVENMORE AMAZING
When I play tennis, I wear appropriate tennis shorts - YEP!
When I attend a funeral, I wear a suit - SURE DO!

And,

When I bicycle, I wear BICYCLING Clothes. - OF COURSE!

I don't try to hide to others that I am bicycling. Nor am I ashamed of "how I look" in Lycra. That's me - by gosh - like it or not, and God (I hope) thinks I am OK!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-07-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-07-08, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Cilo 12 speed road bike w/shimano 105 and tange #1 double butted frame,fork and stays...Schwinn criss cross, modified to climb off road..currently treaded for the katy trail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only ride on the Katy trail with my phone in the pocket. For real trail/off road or real road riding it goes in the bag. This time around, I'm not on the road bike or riding off road stuff yet. Good advice on potential fall damage to your phone. Always consider the possibilities. Now you have me thinking and I'll bet it ends up in the bag, even on the Katy trail. Being 50 makes falls more likely, I suppose.

God bless!

-Ron
Old 08-07-08, 03:52 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beverly
BUY!! After 85 miles your butt will thank you

As others have stated the shorts are for preventing chafing, absorb sweat and prevent problems from seams in your clothing. They also compress the muscles in your thighs helping to prevent fatigue.
I agree with Beverly totally. I switched to padded lycra shorts in 1986, and have not regretted it at all. I might wear baggy shorts for errands or commuting, but for long rides it will by lycra with a good chamois.
Old 08-07-08, 03:57 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Another vote for cycling shorts. Anything over 15 miles I'm wearing them. As others noted, it is for sweat management and anti-chafing not for padding. And my wife won't leave home (on her bike) without them.
Old 08-07-08, 04:03 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy.

I rode for years in cutoff jeans. I didn't want to look like a roadie. I also liked smoking other riders in full kit when I was just wearing cutoff jeans.

Now I'm older and can't smoke anyone. Also maybe I'm a little smarter. I bought shorts and jersey and they are so much more comfortable. Just amazed how dumb and stubborn I used to be.
Old 08-07-08, 04:08 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I wear lycra / tight cycling shorts for any and all "serious" riding.

But I do also have a couple of pairs of loose/baggy (but padded!) mountain biking shorts that I wear frequently -- commuting, errands, etc. -- rides when I will be off the bike a fair amount.

Watch the end-of-season sales this summer for closeouts on MTB shorts, it's nice to own a pair or two.
Old 08-07-08, 04:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
Buy.

I rode for years in cutoff jeans. I didn't want to look like a roadie. I also liked smoking other riders in full kit when I was just wearing cutoff jeans.

Now I'm older and can't smoke anyone. Also maybe I'm a little smarter. I bought shorts and jersey and they are so much more comfortable. Just amazed how dumb and stubborn I used to be.
At 50+ looking good on a bike counts for nothing- Unless you are out of place with the jeans on a group ride. Comfort counts a lot though and 100% on the lycra. forgot about the tightness of them holding muscles in place but also forgot to mention BIBS. Far more comfy.

And just how dumb and stubborn are you now?

Spike Milligan
Old 08-07-08, 04:37 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by ronbo
I only ride on the Katy trail with my phone in the pocket. For real trail/off road or real road riding it goes in the bag. This time around, I'm not on the road bike or riding off road stuff yet. Good advice on potential fall damage to your phone. Always consider the possibilities. Now you have me thinking and I'll bet it ends up in the bag, even on the Katy trail. Being 50 makes falls more likely, I suppose.

God bless!

-Ron
I fell and broke mine while I was getting on my bike - not moving at all! I don't think that being 50 makes any difference. 20 year olds fall all the time.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-07-08 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-07-08, 04:40 PM
Banned.

OK, I just rode to Wal Mart to get a fan. I just wore my regular summer nylon shorts. No need for anything fancy for a 6 mile ride. OTOH, if I am doing anything over 20, I am sure to wear my Lycra.
Old 08-07-08, 04:45 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a lot you are not telling us in your post. But off hand the answer would be, buy padded shorts or Bibs. If you are riding a comfort bike of a hybrid 20, 30, maybe even 40 miles isn’t too bad with simple shorts. But 85 miles will prove the value of bike shorts. I might be a lot like you in that I like cargo shorts and I like to walk around a lot when I get places.

I haven’t been riding much longer than you and I had resisted getting bike shorts because I can just picture the eye pollution my form in lycra or spandex would cause to the non biking public. However I decided my comfort was more important that anything else and decided to get some Bibs. I admit I look a bit like a Russian weight lifter in the things but I can always wear them under my cargo shorts and a tee shirt. They are no heavier than underwear and they breathe well and wick moisture better. So I say, buy them and wear something over them if you don’t like the way they look.

If you ride a road bike get bibs, don’t pass go, and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-07-08, 04:49 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks I like those prices
There is a lot you are not telling us in your post. But off hand the answer would be, buy padded shorts or Bibs. If you are riding a comfort bike of a hybrid 20, 30, maybe even 40 miles isn’t too bad with simple shorts. But 85 miles will prove the value of bike shorts. I might be a lot like you in that I like cargo shorts and I like to walk around a lot when I get places.

I haven’t been riding much longer than you and I had resisted getting bike shorts because I can just picture the eye pollution my form in lycra or spandex would cause to the non biking public. However I decided my comfort was more important that anything else and decided to get some Bibs. I admit I look a bit like a Russian weight lifter in the things but I can always wear them under my cargo shorts and a tee shirt. They are no heavier than underwear and they breathe well and wick moisture better. So I say, buy them and wear something over them if you don’t like the way they look.

If you ride a road bike get bibs, don’t pass go, and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-07-08, 05:09 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
85 miles = 85 dollars. Do it.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-07-08, 05:12 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by George
They would have to pay me more than that to wear such a gaudy advertisement.
Old 08-07-08, 07:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Now I keep it in a place where it can't be hurt by a fall!
There is absolutely no way that I'm going to ask where that is.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-07-08, 07:13 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do find them to add comfort to a ride. Significant comfort.

When I ride an upright bike, I wear either a pair of liner shorts (meant to be worn under shorts), or cycling shorts. And then I wear baggy shorts over them (either the liner or the regular shorts) ... sometimes athletic shorts, sometimes hiking shorts, sometimes cargo shorts. I did find cycling shorts on clearance at a swap meet earlier this year for $20/pair. The store was closing out that brand. Normal price was $40-$50.

But when I ride my recumbent with its cushy seat, no extra padding is required.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.