Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   for Iron Will (or anyone): shoe inserts (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/451739-iron-will-anyone-shoe-inserts.html)

Yen 08-08-08 09:25 AM

for Iron Will (or anyone): shoe inserts

During or after Iron Will's x-country ride earlier this year he mentioned purchasing a good pair of padded shoe inserts that made all the difference. I think he said something like "I bought the most expensive pair I could find."

I removed the inserts that came with my Sidis to make room for my orthotics which I wear to support my high arches. The orthotics stop just in front of my arch, so there is nothing between the ball and toes of my feet and the shoes.

I don't do a great deal of walking during rides and the ball of my foot (rather than the arch) is on the pedal, so I wonder if I really need to wear my orthotics in my bike shoes.

I've seen some inserts in the LBSs, I believe they are Specialized or Sole, that conform to the shape of one's foot using heat and are made for different arch types.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I do not have ANY discomfort in these shoes (the SIDIs) even at the mileage point where my right foot was screaming in my other shoes. But on much longer rides there may be heat issues and I'd like some padding between my foot and the shoe.

BengeBoy 08-08-08 09:43 AM

I have Superfeet inserts in one of my cheaper (commuter) shoes. They're nice, but pricey ($30?).

However, I just got a new pair of Sidi road shoes and even the LBS guy said the Superfeet inserts weren't any better than what came in the Sidis.

I've also seen posts here recommending picking up Dr. Scholls or whatever at the drugstore.

I have hot foot issues too (always have) so I am careful...I have a number of old shoes lying around that never worked for me......in fact, the reason I bought a new pair of Sidis is that on longer rides (over 60 miles) I'm finding my old Sidis with SPD's weren't cutting it...so I got a pair of Sidi Road shoes with Look pedals for my long-distance bike. So far, so good (almost joined Club Tombay switching to a new cleat system...but not quite!)

oilman_15106 08-08-08 10:14 AM

Sidas Conform'able Bike insoles are the best I have ever used. Almost impossible to find at any price.

Made in France. North American distributor is an idiot because they think the only sport anyone needs a good insole is hockey.

George 08-08-08 11:11 AM

I picked up some IronMan inserts that seem to do the trick for me. I was having hot foot and I moved my shoe clips back about 2cm and put the inserts in and bought some wool socks. I hope that does it for a while. The longer I/you ride, all this stuff comes out, where something has to be changed.

George 08-08-08 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by George (Post 7232828)
I picked up some IronMan inserts that seem to do the trick for me. I was having hot foot and I moved my shoe clips back about 2cm and put the inserts in and bought some wool socks. I hope that does it for a while. The longer I/you ride, all this stuff comes out, where something has to be changed.

Oh, I forgot, Walgreen's had gel pads just for the the ball of your foot.

NealH 08-08-08 03:03 PM

I wear the eSoles cycling footbeds (denser model) which are kind of a poor man's othotic. All you need is a toaster oven to mold them and, they work pretty darn well. These should provide the padding that you desire plus, some of the characteristics that your orthotics provide.

bobbycorno 08-08-08 05:20 PM

...or you may not need inserts at all. Keep riding your Sidis "as is", since they seem to be working fine for you. Why solve a problem you don't have?

SP

...and yes, I've been there. Had terrible hotfoot problems with Carnac "Legends", and switched to PI Vapers. Voila! No more hotfoot.

SP