Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tried a new PIE (For me) last night.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-09-08, 02:10 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Went to my daughters last night for dinner. Still not convinced that I like eating Spicy food in raw bread dough rolled out into flat pancakes (Fajitas) The spicy food is ok but that raw pastry is not good. For dessert and a choice of several- but one that is a family favourite was on the table. A Lemon Cheesecake that is a family recipe and is fantastic. Took a slice and it was not Moo Cow PIE!! Our name for this pie as once people eat it- the only sound you can hear is Mmmmm-Mmmm-Mmmmm.

This one was bought from one of our quality supermarkets and although it may not have been to the Americam recipe- I did not like it. Had a bitter taste to it that was more like chemicals than any thing else. Checked the label and it was completely organic- and then I noticed the Label

Key Lime PIE!! First time I have had it and you can keep it. That was not to my taste what so ever. How can anything so enticing taste so bad?

So the Hunt is on. In the interests of Culinary research- I will be trying to find a cafe on my bike rides that sells key lime PIE.

So I will expecting the ride times to go down as I put on weight trying to track down that Elusive quality PIE that may resurrect my faith in American Cuisine.

Sorry no pics but who wants a picture of something that bad.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-09-08, 02:59 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
So I will expecting the ride times to go down as I put on weight trying to track down that Elusive quality PIE that may resurrect my faith in American Cuisine.
I am sure there are more than a few people now wanting to know your go-faster-as-you-get-heavier secret.
Old 08-09-08, 03:54 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I am sure there are more than a few people now wanting to know your go-faster-as-you-get-heavier secret.
Lots of downhills round here and the extra energy from the Best Legal performance enhancing food I know.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-09-08, 04:57 AM
Rowan

Pie is... legal???
Old 08-09-08, 05:25 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Key Lime can be very good or very bad. I would not trust a key lime pie from any source that is not US and any place within the US that is North of the Mason Dixon line Y'all. Key lime like lemon merange are not my favorite sweet/sour pie, I won't turn down a hefty slice but for me - a good Gooseberry can't be beat.
Old 08-09-08, 06:53 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
+1 on the gooseberry...sweet,tart,but o so good
Old 08-09-08, 06:59 AM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Like so much cooking, it's hard to get the real thing. And homemade is best.

Plenty of rather good cooking from the southern US. Most "southern cooking" now is complete nonsense. Things like fried chicken.

But numerous real recipes are online and worth trying.

Other than deserts (crumbled graham cracker pie crust), shrimp & grits, Country Captain, crawfish etoufee, crab bisque, and so on.

Here's one. Southern fried chicken, 19th C style. Pressure cook 20 minutes (or use a dutch oven with iron bars to hold the lid down, over a wood fire, and cook a little longer). Remove. Coat in crumbled crackers. Fry in medium hot butter. Drain & serve. Stack that up against Kentucky Fried!

In your shrimp & grits, don't use instant, and use a sharp cheddar in the grits. MMMMM!
Old 08-09-08, 07:20 AM
homebody146

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Trek FX7.3, Bianchi Campione d'italia

get a key lime pie from Joe's Crab House at Key West, Florida....NOTHING matches it. yummy
Old 08-09-08, 08:57 AM
Dellphinus

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Key Lime Pie is fantastic- especially when made with key lime juice - no, it's not limes from the Florida Keys, it's a different type of lime.
Stap- if you truly want to experience it, I can send you a recipe, but you'll have to find real key lime juice. It's available online- I'll try to find my links. I think the brand we use was Nellie and Joes.

Last edited by Dellphinus; 08-09-08 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-09-08, 09:36 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
If you had bad Key Lime Pie, I'm sorry. If you had good Key Lime Pie and didn't like it, I really feel sorry for you.
Old 08-09-08, 09:43 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Went to my daughters last night for dinner. Still not convinced that I like eating Spicy food in raw bread dough rolled out into flat pancakes (Fajitas) The spicy food is ok but that raw pastry is not good. For dessert and a choice of several- but one that is a family favourite was on the table. A Lemon Cheesecake that is a family recipe and is fantastic. Took a slice and it was not Moo Cow PIE!! Our name for this pie as once people eat it- the only sound you can hear is Mmmmm-Mmmm-Mmmmm.

This one was bought from one of our quality supermarkets and although it may not have been to the Americam recipe- I did not like it. Had a bitter taste to it that was more like chemicals than any thing else. Checked the label and it was completely organic- and then I noticed the Label

Key Lime PIE!! First time I have had it and you can keep it. That was not to my taste what so ever. How can anything so enticing taste so bad?

So the Hunt is on. In the interests of Culinary research- I will be trying to find a cafe on my bike rides that sells key lime PIE.

Sorry no pics but who wants a picture of something that bad.
Stapfam:

Tortilla's are not to be eaten raw, but heated up and slightly brown in spots on both sides. A good flour tortilla is as light (almost) as a feather. I wouldn't eat them raw either!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 08-09-08, 09:46 AM
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
Stapfam:

Tortilla's are not to be eaten raw, but heated up and slightly brown in spots on both sides. A good flour tortilla is as light (almost) as a feather. I wouldn't eat them raw either!
I would think they'd at least be zapped for a minute or so.
Old 08-09-08, 01:42 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
Stapfam:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Monkey View Post
I would think they'd at least be zapped for a minute or so.
Tortillas are something else over here and I Don't like them either. More like a Crisp with spices in them.

And those Fajitas are bought pre-prepared and "Cooked" before we get them. Still don't like them. KFC do a wrap filled with chicken and Salad leaves. Filling is good- but the "Wrap"- which is the same as the Fajitas is served the same way and is always discarded by me.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-09-08, 01:53 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
You are unimpressed by a pale imitation of the real thing.
Old 08-09-08, 01:59 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
You are unimpressed by a pale imitation of the real thing.
Probably right but on the Key Lime PIE- Delphinius just sent me a recipe and what I had on Friday is nothing like his recipe. That is the problem- What you have over there as one of your staple foods- is nothing like the commercial attempt at copying it over here. I have the same with French Food. I doubt there is a restaurant in England that can cook a simple "Coquilles St Jaques" as they have in France.And as to a "Creme Broulle"- Forget it.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-09-08, 01:59 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I think you probably had an ersatz key lime pie. Genuine key lime pies are not green or yellow but a sort of yellow-brown color because they are made from key limes which are not green. Key lime pies should be as tart as they are sweet.
Old 08-09-08, 02:01 PM
desederada

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin GS

Even if you take a tortilla straight out of the bag it's not raw just cold. I LOVE Key Lime pie.
Old 08-09-08, 02:03 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I think you probably had an ersatz key lime pie. Genuine key lime pies are not green or yellow but a sort of yellow-brown color because they are made from key limes which are not green. Key lime pies should be as tart as they are sweet.
This was White- Just like a Cheesecake and had the same constituency. and the taste was bitter- not Tarte or sweet.

As I said- the Hunt will have to continue to find an American Key Lime PIE.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-09-08, 02:05 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had key lime pie only once, and it was the most sour-tasting thing I've ever eaten.... my mouth still puckers just thinking of it!

Is key lime pie like that, or did I get a "bad" one?
Old 08-09-08, 03:51 PM
Rowan

Probably right but on the Key Lime PIE- Delphinius just sent me a recipe and what I had on Friday is nothing like his recipe. That is the problem- What you have over there as one of your staple foods- is nothing like the commercial attempt at copying it over here. I have the same with French Food. I doubt there is a restaurant in England that can cook a simple "Coquilles St Jaques" as they have in France.And as to a "Creme Broulle"- Forget it.
I found it humorous to go from France to Dover and see a "bakery" advertising baguettes "better than the French make them". I didn't bother seeing if the claim was true, having been spoilt by the real thing.
Old 08-09-08, 04:27 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

I found it humorous to go from France to Dover and see a "bakery" advertising baguettes "better than the French make them". I didn't bother seeing if the claim was true, having been spoilt by the real thing.
A french baguette will stay fresh for a couple of hours- At 4 hours it makes a good truncheon. I used to laugh at the English bringing back a dozen or so baguettes. They may have lived in Dover and just popped over to get the bread for the BBQ but I doubt it. And an English baguette will stay fresh for a couple of days!!! Well not fresh -but it will not go Rock solid for about a week.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-09-08, 04:43 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Originally Posted by homebody146 View Post
get a key lime pie from Joe's Crab House at Key West, Florida....NOTHING matches it. yummy
+1001

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-09-08, 05:07 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

I still remember the two week work trip I had in Japan some 20 years ago - I can eat Japanese for about a week and then the smell turns my stomach. Starting on week 2 I went out and got what was advertised as an NY pizza - I swear it was velveta cheese on a large motza style cracker . Well it was better than another night of uni!
Old 08-09-08, 05:48 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Key lime pie done right is great.
Key lime yogurt! Key lime ice cream! Yum!
Old 08-09-08, 10:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
There is an organized ride here where they serve hot Ollalaberry pie at lunch. They feed you after the ride, too, and you get more hot Ollalaberry pie then!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service