Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It hurts so good.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It hurts so good.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 05:07 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It hurts so good.

Some of you might remember that I planned on trying out a 22 mile dirt trail this weekend. I have been doing 25 to 30 mile rides on the road for a few weeks now and felt that a 22 mile dirt trail would be interesting. I also felt that today I might be able to climb the ½ mile switch back road up to the top of the dam where the trail started. The trailhead is 4.5 miles from my house so I figured I had a 31 mile round trip for the day.

The good news is I managed to make the ride and I even managed to climb the hill. But the hill took a lot out of me that I didn’t realize till later. I also discovered the 22 miles on dirt is harder than 22 miles on the street. I knew it would be harder but I didn’t realize how much harder. The trail is pretty level all in all but of course it has a small roller coaster like up and down like many dirt trails have. But the killer was the gravel and sand. Still I might have enjoyed that if my legs, feet and hands wouldn’t have hurt so much by the 12 mile mark.

I managed to get the seat adjusted so it didn’t bother me too much but my hands kept going numb. By the 18 mile mark I have finished most of my water. I had one larger bike water bottle and two 12 frozen water bottles when I started the ride. My legs were tired at the 20 mile mark and my feet started bothering me.

After getting to the Kiosk and checking out I knew I had a 4.5-mile ride home and now my hands feet were sore. But nonetheless I made it home in one piece and about as tired as I have ever been. But as I was laying in the hot bathtub all I could think of is what I was going to do about my flat bars and pedals or shoes. Just doing it, as Nike says, made it a good day. My feet still hurt but that is easing up and my hands are coming back to life. I think I had a good time.
Old 08-20-08, 05:12 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
WOW!!

Please give yourself a rest day or two. ALL of your muscles, tendons and ligament will thank you greatly, and they need some time to rebuild - but the good news is, they will be bigger and stronger.

Have you considered bar ends for your flat bars? They can help a lot.
Old 08-20-08, 05:24 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
WOW!!

Please give yourself a rest day or two. ALL of your muscles, tendons and ligament will thank you greatly, and they need some time to rebuild - but the good news is, they will be bigger and stronger.

Have you considered bar ends for your flat bars? They can help a lot.
I already have bar ends. But I have been playing with the seat adjustment till it feels better but the flat bars seem to have me leaning too far forward. I am only 5’9’’ so maybe if the bars were closer to me? Take a look and tell me what you think?

Old 08-20-08, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post a pic of a side view of you riding the bike, nothing else will help at all. Even then listen to yourself and not what anybody else says. And that saddle. Youch for me at least.

Nice ride, way to hang mentally tough.
Old 08-20-08, 06:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Post a pic of a side view of you riding the bike, nothing else will help at all. Even then listen to yourself and not what anybody else says. And that saddle. Youch for me at least.

Nice ride, way to hang mentally tough.
+1
Old 08-20-08, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P.S. What do you do when you have a flat tire? Assuming that is a recent photo.
Old 08-20-08, 07:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrierman
P.S. What do you do when you have a flat tire? Assuming that is a recent photo.
I have a bar bag with 4 Co-2 cartridges, a tool kit, a patch kit and an extra tube. (the tube is only good when I remember to replace the 20 inch with the 26 inch.)

I am looking for a rack bag that will fit both Bikes. We are still working on finding one that will work on the back of the Revive.