Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Adjusting clipless

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Adjusting clipless

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Adjusting clipless

I am getting used to riding clipless. I tried about 4 years ago and chickened out, but this time, so far, so good. However, I think the tension is too tight because I can only unclip when I have weight on the foot. I can't unclip when my foot is on the top.

I have Shimano SPD PD-M505 pedals and have read the directions about 12 times. I understand the turn counterclockwise part but am being terribly dense when it comes to the "red indicator." I don't see the red indicator moving at all. I want to make sure the 4 adjustments are about the same.

I am a light female rider but (at least I thought) am fairly strong.

Does anyone have these pedals and have a clue how to adjust or what I'm doing wrong with trying to unclip?

Many thanks.
Old 08-27-08, 10:52 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Turn out the tension screws until they are almost falling out. Most have clickers on them. Turn them out until they don't click anymore and then turn them in about 4 clicks. That should still be really soft for holding your feet but gives enough tension to the clicker screws to avoid falling out and getting lost.

Take the clicker tool and go riding. Pedal aggresively with lots of pulling up as well as pushing down. With them this soft likely you'll pull out on the lifting upstroke. Click all four in one or two clicks at a time and then ride again. Do this until you don't find your foot coming out.

At this barely not coming out setting unclicking to the side should be quite easy now. The good thing is that this setting also gives you a safety valve. I've found that when set this soft the pedals hold fine in use but if I have a near fall experience my adrenaline fueled yell gives me enough energy to rip my foot right out of the pedal with little or no twist. It's save me a clipped in fall a couple or three times now.

As time passes and you either ride harder or the cleats and pedals wear you may find you need to screw the clickers in a click or two. But that'll take months if not years from the pedal and cleat wear part. So if you find yourself ripping your feet out on the up pull then congrats on a successful training season...
Old 08-28-08, 01:43 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
As time passes and you either ride harder or the cleats and pedals wear you may find you need to screw the clickers in a click or two. But that'll take months if not years from the pedal and cleat wear part. So if you find yourself ripping your feet out on the up pull then congrats on a successful training season...
Found this myself- but some of my pedals are old-having been bought from around 10 years ago up to just last year. I use the M520's on the MTB's and A520's on the road bikes. Over the years I have had to tighten the settings on the pedals and never have a problem unclipping. My main problem is pulling the foot out on the upstroke of the pedal.

Then earlier this year I bought new shoes- fitted new cleats at the same time and went out for a ride. First stop was about 5 miles into the ride and I did not unclip. The foot just did not come out with my normal twist of the heel. Went round in a circle and forced a foot out and stopped. Then realised- All the adjustment was not to take up slack in the pedal- or me getting stronger ankles-It was those cleats wearing out.

But eventually- you will find that you have to tighten the adjustment screws. You will want to be tied more firmly to the bike.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-28-08, 02:07 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K2dahlia
I am getting used to riding clipless. I tried about 4 years ago and chickened out, but this time, so far, so good. However, I think the tension is too tight because I can only unclip when I have weight on the foot. I can't unclip when my foot is on the top.

I have Shimano SPD PD-M505 pedals and have read the directions about 12 times. I understand the turn counterclockwise part but am being terribly dense when it comes to the "red indicator." I don't see the red indicator moving at all. I want to make sure the 4 adjustments are about the same.

I am a light female rider but (at least I thought) am fairly strong.

Does anyone have these pedals and have a clue how to adjust or what I'm doing wrong with trying to unclip?

Many thanks.

I don't have this type of Shimano pedals but can tell you it's harder for me to unclip when the foot is at the top of the pedal stroke than anywhere else. I've always had a harder time trying to unclip in this position. It seems to put a strain on my knee and ankle. I found it almost impossible to unclip the SPD-SL's at the top of the pedal stroke.

The red indicator on my pedals doesn't really move on mine - it just becomes slightly smaller or larger depending on the way I'm adjusting them.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith