Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I've gone off half-clipped!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 03:23 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We had a thread several months ago about alternatives to clipless pedals. Particularly alternatives which would be very easy for one to extract their feet from. Plastic half-clips were mentioned and that piqued my attention. I picked up a pair 2-3 months ago and as today was my "get my bikes ready for lots of fall riding" day, I installed them on my Fuji.

They look a lot like the ones pictured below. No straps or anything that tangles one's feet.

Took them out on a short ride and kinda liked how they made it easy to put my foot into the right position and there was a bit of "sticktion" to them, holding my feet to the pedal.

I am afraid that I will get my foot stuck, fall, and still not even be eligible for Club Tombay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
plastictoeclip.jpg (14.2 KB, 32 views)

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-23-08, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
look good

HI
my daughter tried to get me to try them she loved them and found them very easy to adjust to.
Doug

Last edited by djnzlab1; 08-23-08 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-23-08, 05:15 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
We had a thread several months ago about alternatives to clipless pedals. Particularly alternatives which would be very easy for one to extract their feet from. Plastic half-clips were mentioned and that piqued my attention. I picked up a pair 2-3 months ago and as today was my "get my bikes ready for lots of fall riding" day, I installed them on my Fuji.

They look a lot like the ones pictured below. No straps or anything that tangles one's feet.

Took them out on a short ride and kinda liked how they made it easy to put my foot into the right position and there was a bit of "sticktion" to them, holding my feet to the pedal.

I am afraid that I will get my foot stuck, fall, and still not even be eligible for Club Tombay.
If you fall because of those.....................Club Tombay will announce an honary degree program.
Old 08-23-08, 05:24 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I have been using toe clips without the straps for 500 miles.
Have not had any problems.

Old 08-23-08, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go ahead and fall and we will let you in. I promise.

But remember Flounder's error.
Old 08-23-08, 05:52 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrierman
But remember Flounder's error.
I've heard of Flounder's Folly, but not Flounder's error.

And I can't make the connection between my half-clips and Flounder's Folly. So I'm in the dark (again).

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-23-08, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go watch Animal House again, I'm sure you'll get the connection. Ahh hell, that's too good of a hint, so I'll just remind you what Otter told him after the Delta's (all club Tombay members, I'm certain) finished trashing Flounder's big brother's Continental: "Hey, you f***ed up, you trusted us".

So. Like I said. Go ahead and fall, we'll let you in.

Last edited by Terrierman; 08-23-08 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-23-08, 06:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, I remember THAT Flounder. As I have not yet gone clipless, I have not yet trusted this group that much.

Old 08-23-08, 08:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem. Those ones on the Fuji will get you in, no need to go too far with all this clipless madness. Trust me.
Old 08-23-08, 10:11 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My wife uses these, or at least she did when she used to ride a bit. I have suggested them for a friend who suffers from Parkinson's and has difficulty starting and stopping (getting off his bike). He has fallen a number of times trying to get out of his straps. (I think he should switch to a bent.)
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-24-08, 04:18 AM

Bikes: Giant CRX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the plastic half-clips too. They're good for a couple of reasons:

(1) They keep your feet in the 'approved' position -- ball of foot over pedal.

(2) They stop your feet slipping off if you fumble a gear change or brake hard when your pedals and runners are wet. This was the main reason I got them. I had a couple of heart-stopping moments when both feet slipped off my previous platform-pedals in the wet. I thought about the consequences of both feet coming off and slipping off the saddle as well. Doesn't bear thinking about. I feel a lot more secure with these half-clips.

Takes a week or so to get used to getting the 'support' foot into the clip on the move. Mine came as as set with new alloy pedals. I removed the straps -- didn't need lateral support and couldn't see a use for them. Also made them harder to get into.

Last edited by bmorey; 08-24-08 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-24-08, 06:15 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My son uses those on both his road bike and his MTB. They help him keep his feet in the right place and they offer a little help in spinning full circles. He wants to go clipless, but his Dad is just too cheap to spring for MTB shoes until his feet stop growing so fast.
Old 08-24-08, 07:45 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have used that kind for years. I find them very easy to get in and out of and they allow you to pull up as well as push down when you want to. And a lot less expensive than clipless with the shoes you can't walk in etc.
Old 08-24-08, 10:27 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll keep those in mind for if (or when) I decide to give up clipless. I fell again yesterday -- I KNOW, I KNOW!!! everyone falls! -- and my bike has new scratches and torn bar tape to add to the damage done in the first fall.
Old 08-24-08, 12:18 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very sorry to read about your fall, Yen. Hope you are okay.

Old 08-24-08, 12:48 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tom - I am okay, physically. More anxious than ever to replace the hybrid with a bike my size for these slower/frequent-stop recreational rides. 27 miles is still 27 miles, 2-1/2 hours of total riding. Keeping things in perspective, that's way beyond what most people do in a month, so it's nothing to complain about. I just want a bike more suitable for that type of ride.
Old 08-24-08, 01:01 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have straps on my toe clips, but I don't tighten them up much. I'm guessing this is similar to the strapless concept.
Old 08-24-08, 03:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Drop bars next.
Old 08-24-08, 06:49 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by George
Drop bars next.
I don't advise betting on that. After all, I've completely given up on them.

Old 08-25-08, 06:21 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have an awful problem with platform pedals. In an emergency I try to put my foot down on the ground but the pedal is in the way. I can't seem to remember that I have to move my foot out to the side first. I just panic and push straight down. Do you think I'll ever memorize that (foot out to the side) motion?
Old 08-25-08, 06:22 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gear
I have an awful problem with platform pedals. In an emergency I try to put my foot down on the ground but the pedal is in the way. I can't seem to remember that I have to move my foot out to the side first. I just panic and push straight down. Do you think I'll ever memorize that (foot out to the side) motion?
Just take them off and ride without them.

Old 08-25-08, 07:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The neat things about cycling is that there is always room for more exploration around techniques, equipment, fitting, etc. A "serious" cyclist is never finished tinkering....
Old 09-07-08, 09:10 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Time for a ride report.

I've been out twice on the Fuji w/plastic clips. First ride, they bothered me a bit. It felt like my feet were too close to the crank arms. But on my second ride they felt much more natural. I have them on platform cage pedals.

I felt their best feature was in making it very easy to position my feet correctly on the pedal. Second best, there is a little tension holding my feet to the pedal that I felt when I rode harder & uphill. Doubt it gave me any real performance gain, but it was noticeable. Third, they were very easy to get my shoes out of, almost the same as when using just platforms & a bit easier than my pedals with PowerGrips attached.

Downside was that the weight of the clip always flips the pedal over when I take my foot off of it. However it was pretty easy to flip it back and slide my foot back into it. Much easier than on my PowerGrips, which can sometimes be a bit trying. And the adhesion of my foot to the pedal was decidedly less than with the PowerGrips.

For the time being, I'm going to keep them on. More upsides than downsides.

And I think I'm going to put a pair of Zefal Mountain Bike half-clips on my recumbent. I have Wellgo MG-1 mountain bike platforms with pins on it. It will be more difficult to slide my shoes on them and into a clip & as the Zefal's are shorter, that will shorten the distance of the slide. I think it's worth the $5 investment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zefaltoeclips.jpg (18.7 KB, 4 views)

Old 09-07-08, 09:47 PM

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
just the other day i read a post (here or the clydesdale forum) about a rider who has a platform on one side and a clipless on the other.... says his other bike has a set almost exactly like them (just reversed.)

me, i use frogs and love 'em.

be well,

jim
Old 09-08-08, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Go clipless, don't fight it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.