Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   New B-17 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/459761-new-b-17-a.html)

Wanderer 08-29-08 02:16 PM

New B-17

I took the plunge, and parted with some money, to buy a black Brooks B-17.

When it came, I opened the box, and took it out. It really is a gorgeous saddle. But, damn, did that thing look and feel hard.

I swabbed it in Proofide, and let it sit in the sun to bake it in. Buffed it off, and admired it's looks. But, damn, is that thing ever hard!

I then installed it on my Specialized Crosstrail, and took it for a short four mile spin!

And, as hard as that thing is, it really is quite comfortable, right out of the box. But, damn, that thing is really hard!

I took it for a longer ride today, about 30 miles; and, even though that damn thing is as hard as a rock, and still seems as hard as it was the first time it came out of the box, it is really very comfortable, hard or not!

I think I'll leave the damned hard thing on there, and put forty miles on it tomorrow!

How can anything as damned hard as that thing, be so damned comfortable?

Damn!

(more reviews to follow)

BluesDawg 08-29-08 02:28 PM

Whatever you do, don't do anything to try to soften it up. Just ride it. It is comfortable because it is shaped right. As you ride it more, it will become more comfortable as is adapts its shape to yours. It may soften a little, but that is not the goal. It is supposed to be hard.

Welcome to the Brooks club.:welcome

Spinz 08-29-08 02:31 PM

Took a couple hundred miles for mine to noticeably feel different. Like others have said break it in with use and proofide only. Dollars well spent!! Welcome to the Brooks club.

Now if we could get Tom Bombadil to spring for one. Word is he rides on a pin head. Lp

WillisB 08-29-08 02:55 PM

I like mine too! I commuted to work all week. It is a 22 mi. round trip. Even though the saddle is only two weeks old it is the most comfortable thing I have ever ridden.

howsteepisit 08-29-08 03:11 PM

Wierd isn't it. The other odd thing I notice is that even if its a bit uncomfortable at first, on long rides it never gets any worse, often gets better as the ride gets longer

jiminos 08-29-08 03:16 PM

it took about 400 miles for mine to get completely broke in, but damn, it is sure damned comfortable and still damned hard. and i damn sure wouldn't trade the damned thing!

welcome to the brooks club.

be well

jim

Spinz 08-29-08 04:45 PM

I think its better said welcome to the Damned Brooks Club. :thumb: :roflmao2: Lp

kk4df 08-29-08 05:34 PM

My first Brooks B17 took maybe 800 miles to really break in. It was not uncomfortable right out of the box, but it kept getting better. Just wait until you have about 2000 miles on it.

My second and third Brooks saddles (yes, I have them on 3 bikes now) were much easier to break in. Maybe it's that my butt is already broken in, but the last two felt fabulous right out of the box.

Enjoy. Welcome to the club.

Yen 08-29-08 09:56 PM

I've already decided that a B17 will go on my next bike. I don't think it could be too much harder than the saddle that came on my Roubaix, which is actually quite comfortable.

Bob Nichols 08-30-08 07:07 AM

When I saw your post title I thought you bought an airplane. Ha!

oldride 08-30-08 09:00 AM

I have about 250 miles on my B17. It's comfortable in the sit bones area but it makes me numb. My 2 other saddles that have a cut out or groove do not make me numb. I want the Brooks to work but so far it doesn't. More time on the B17 may help.

Wanderer 08-30-08 09:13 AM

Well, I only got to do 30 miles this morning, and it's wonderful! But, damn, is it hard.

My son has some medical issues going on, which is, understandably, taking up a lot of our time for the last several days. Hopefully, surgery today, will resolve his gallstone problem. We've had the grandchildren, and his condition is kinda keeping us from "normal" activities. We are trying to keep it as normal for the kids, as we can.

I just don't understand how it can be so hard, and so comfortable at the same time. My sit bones never complained, not once. Hopefully, a 42 mile test tomorrow.

Damn, that thing is hard! But, it is AMAZINGLY, comfortable.

Should have done this years ago!!!!!!!!

BluesDawg 08-30-08 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by oldride (Post 7371981)
I have about 250 miles on my B17. It's comfortable in the sit bones area but it makes me numb. My 2 other saddles that have a cut out or groove do not make me numb. I want the Brooks to work but so far it doesn't. More time on the B17 may help.

Is the nose up too much? Are you sitting too far forward on the saddle? With my sit bones positioned near the rear of the saddle, my perineum is suspended above the saddle and does not come in hard contact with the saddle and thus no numbness. Don't be afraid to make a few adjustments to get the saddle position dialed in.

Wanderer 08-30-08 11:59 AM

I started out with my saddle pretty much level, and have experienced no discomfort at all.

I thought I would be playing with the adjustment of my B-17, but, so far, have done nothing.

It's VERY comfortable, but the damned thing sure is still hard.....

I think I will plan on a 50 mile spin some day next week, just to experiment....

I sure do like it , so far. Most comfortable seat I have ever ridden! And, I'm looking forward to it getting even better.

But, the damned thing sure is hard!

Tom Bombadil 08-30-08 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 7372617)
But, the damned thing sure is hard!

Easily remedied ... just top it with a Bell Memory Foam Seat Pad

http://www.pronto.com/Bell-Sports-In..._1054440871-PP

I've seen them for $12 in stores.

:D

BluesDawg 08-30-08 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 7372675)
Easily remedied ... just top it with a Bell Memory Foam Seat Pad

http://www.pronto.com/Bell-Sports-In..._1054440871-PP

I've seen them for $12 in stores.

:D

That's about $15 more than they are worth. But I'm sure you enjoy yours. :p

PaulH 08-30-08 01:58 PM

Every day, I dook forward to riding on my Brooks. It may be the best thing I got for my bike.

Paul

Wanderer 08-30-08 02:38 PM

I'm not complaining about the hardness, as the saddle is extremely comfortable, even if the thing is damned hard!

Just stating a fact, with amazement!

And, it really is a beautiful saddle. Minimalist, with style! I am very pleased with the black one on my black bike; but, might consider a honey colored one, just because it is easier to see. And, the contrast might be nice. But, the black looks good, as well. No buyers remorse.

My immediate reaction to this new saddle, is; that, if you are on the fence, about putting one on your bike, don't wait toooooooo long - this thing is great.

Since it is my first experience with Brooks, and since I ride 42+ miles, almost every day, I plan on giving my almost daily impressions to help others understand what this thng is like. I am 62 years old, 6', 183#(and still going down-Ihope.) I ride a Specialized Crosstrail Hybrid, and ride semi upright. I do my 42 mile loop in three hours or less.

I couldn't have imagined it, even reading every Brooks thread I came across.

I would put this saddle on any bike I considered riding - it is that good.

This was a "Good Trade!"

Tom Bombadil 08-30-08 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 7372943)
That's about $15 more than they are worth. But I'm sure you enjoy yours. :p

Why thank you, BD.

I do enjoy mine. It is very nice to throw on my lunch bike, when I'm not wearing padded shorts.

Wanderer 08-30-08 04:27 PM

And, I wish I knew you were buying one, Tom, as I have several - and never bought a single one..... I just pick 'em up on the MUP's around here, when I see them. They are free to pick up, as most must just throw them away..... LOL

Every one is in like new condition, I have given several away, and have lent out the others many times, to those who want to try them. They almost always come backkkkkkkkk

Tom Bombadil 08-30-08 04:44 PM

Oh, they are very popular on the MUPs and rail trails. I see a lot of people using them. I've chatted with many people on the trails and when I see those on their saddles, I ask them about them. Almost always on 50+'er bikes. The typical response I get is that those are the only reason why that person is even able to ride the bike. They sing the praises of them.

Sometimes they have those big, fluffy lambswool ones. Frequently they are using them on top of super padded cruiser saddles.

In well over 1000 miles of riding on MUPs and trails, I've never seen one beside a trail.

tpelle 08-30-08 05:35 PM

Wanderer, I'm glad you like your B17.......but you don't think it's maybe too hard, do you?

Actually I am a devoted Brooks rider myself - I have one on my Long Haul Trucker (1000 miles on that saddle), and I recently put one on my Trek 820 mountain bike. As stated in an earlier post, it took a few hundred mile for my first one to get comfortable, but the new one was comfortable right from the first.

The only problem I experience is that after about 3 or 4 hours in the saddle, with short breaks every 20 or 30 minutes, my bottom starts to just hurt - like it's bruised or something! I tend to not ride out of the saddle a lot, so maybe that has something to do with it. There's no chafing or anything, just tenderness. Maybe it's because it's so hard, huh?

Billy Bones 08-30-08 06:13 PM

Yep, mine "disappears" under me! But be careful Wanderer, they're awfully hard.

Wanderer 08-30-08 07:32 PM

Realizing that everyone is different, and that a Brooks may not be for them, consider my predicament, with regard to my information.

I can not ride "out of the saddle" because of a knee problem. Cycling is very friendly if it happens to fit in my range of motion. This takes a few miles to get into the rotation, so once there, I don't stop.

Weight bearing, such as standing and walking is not a good thing.

My bicycle rides are non-stop, until it's over, or I have to start loosening up again.

So, consider my comments, as someone who must SIT on the seat for almost the entire distance.

I feel, that this unique requirement, really gives my opinion of my sit experiences a lot of weight.

Tom Bombadil 08-30-08 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 7374288)
really gives my opinion of my sit experiences a lot of weight.

All of my saddles experience a lot of weight.