Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you stop for 'treasures' ?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you stop for 'treasures' ?

Old 09-01-08, 01:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Riding on the road between trails one day- and found a load of copper in the road- Copper is 1p and 2p pieces. There was a lot of it and no idea where it came from. Filled the back pockets of the jersey- The wedge and anything else that the 3 riders could fill. Got to the cafe and this is what we had collected it for. They have a charity box. We just gave it to the cafe owner to change and put in the box. No idea how much was there- but we did feel a lot lighter after getting rid of it- Despite the full breakfast we had. We reckon there was about 6 or 7 lbs weight of small change there.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-01-08, 02:27 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
14" aluminum pipe wrench
24" crow bar
48" wrecking bar (went back w/car)
2 pair of Justin alligator cowboy boots
15 jts 1/2" x 21' of steel pipe (went back w/pickup f/this)
lots of change--as in money
so many bungee cords I don't even stop any more
chains
screwdrivers
pliers
discarded meth ingredients
clothes that I wouldn't touch
Old 09-01-08, 03:55 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I used to pick up every bungee and truck tie down. My Son-in-law always gave me a hard time about it. When we moved, I liquidated my collection (keeping a few, of course) at a garage sale. I had 7 bundles of miscellaneous bungees/tie downs, each sold for a dollar. People were very happy about getting the deal. Just last week, he needed some bungees. "Come to Mojo's Roadkill Bungee Emporium", I said. He got some good ones.

I have also found 8 - 10 music CDs, most of which still played. Most of which were home made compilations of very bad Rap music, probably thrown out the window by some aggravated parent.

But my friend wins the game. He found a dead body.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-01-08, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Now this thread have me watching the ditches. I did not see anything of value except a perfect ear of corn, I was in farm country. did not stop becasue it was probably my fastest downhill of the day.
Old 09-01-08, 06:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bunch of stuff, including a really nice almost new pair of leather motorcyclist's gloves, two months ago. I posted a note on the local tavern's bulletin board, but no one has claimed them. A 12" crescent, years ago, various pliers, wrenches, the 10 mm ratcheting end wrench is one of the handiest wrenches I own. A box full of rubber bungee cords. I only stop for the nicer looking ones now. A 35' steel tape measure. A small keyhole saw, there is more, but I can't recall it all.
Old 09-01-08, 10:38 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My only cycling haul was on the LA River Ride this year, when I saved the reuseable shopping bag someone dropped.

But my best-ever haul (that I could, with a reasonably clear conscience, make use of) was one day in at a grocery store pharmacy, picking up a prescription. When I looked down while I was digging in my pocket, I saw money on the floor. Turned out to be two Franklins and a Grant.

I turned in the credit card I picked up Sunday morning when I stopped at the 7-11 for coffee.
Old 09-02-08, 04:22 AM

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my first long tour along the Southern Tier I picked up a bunch of good hand tools. After just a few days, I began to realize the weight and space consequences of the practice and I ended up putting it all back along a roadside for someone else. I no longer pick stuff up unless it is paper money. Once found a full set of false teeth. I still wonder what kind of event caused a traveler to loose his teeth and then not stop to get them.
Old 09-02-08, 05:26 AM
Sarcastic Bastid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a wallet with it's contents strewn about. I picked it all up and brought it home (no cash), it turned out it was my son's friend who lost it, his girlfriend was pissed at him and tossed it out while they were driving.
Old 09-02-08, 05:36 AM

Bikes: Giant CRX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr

Many years ago, I had a Thunderbird with huge wheels and hubcaps. One day, I was riding this horribly rough road when my wife passed me in her T-bird. A little ways down the road was a T-Bird hubcap in the ditch and figured she lost one og hers. I picked up the hubcap and headed home in to a horrible headwind with this huge, heavy hubcap between my hands like a steering wheel. My wife returns home a couple hours later with all of her hubcaps intact.
Had to laugh at that story! Oh well - a spare hubcap is always useful.
Old 09-02-08, 05:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
Adult DVD movie (thought I'd better remove that one from the ditch, as as not to fall into underage hands)
But of course. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Old 09-02-08, 05:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best find - a cyclist's under-saddle bag containing $25 cash and a quality folding tool kit (probably worth $40-$50). I felt sorry for who ever lost it so I put up signs on the tree next to the bike path, facing in both directions, with my phone number. Never heard anything in 3 weeks so removed signs and kept loot. Mustn't have been a regular user of that path.

My most disturbing 'find', 3 weeks ago. My wife got home from her morning walk about the same time I returned from my ride. She said there was something 'funny' in the local park and she didn't want to look too closely and would I go down and check it out. The park is deserted on weekday winter mornings. I got back on the bike and set off.

It was a chap of about 30 who had hanged himself from the rafters of the picnic shelter. Nothing I could do except call 000 and let the police deal with it: 3 squad cars, ambulance, and fire engine. I asked one of the policeman why the ambulance and fire engine. 'Protocol', he said.
Old 09-02-08, 06:15 AM
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once found a cell phone on my commute to work. It was beat up, but still worked, so I called the number listed under "home" and made arrangements for the owner to pick it up from my house that evening.

She was very suspicious of how I got her phone. Weird.
Old 09-02-08, 07:34 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over the years I've found many socket wrenches, open end wrenches and even a complete set of drill bits. My wierdest treasure was a furneral marker with a magnetic base that is placed on cars during the procession to the cementary. I just happened to be using a Camel Back that day and couldn't resit putting the marker in the the webbing on the Camel Back and riding home with the flag waving in the wind while ridding in the drops. My wife told me that was a pretty stupid thing to do. We do have our differences on what is humor and fun.