Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

looking for Mr. Bombadil

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

looking for Mr. Bombadil

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 10:18 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
looking for Mr. Bombadil

Got a call from Skipper this morning, who reported that his new wheelset is lost in Illinois! No road ride today as his rear wheel is cracked. So it was onto the hybrids and up the Badger Trail to the M @ M cafe in Monticello where we contemplated our options over pie (of course) and coffee. I know! lets go looking for Mr. Bombadil. So up the yellow brick (as it were) road we went. I in my stylish 50+ jersey hoping that if he saw us that he would recognize it and stop. It was apparently not to be, at least not on the Badger trail. We made it up to Paoli and think we may have passed his house. (Tom, do you live on Purcell rd?) At that point, after a quick snack, we wandered on to Verona and my lbs where I bought a rear rack, a grocery pannier, and a mirror-handlebar mount. Of course I had little money and no credit card but being the gentleman that he is, and trusting to a fault, he just said "send a check in the mail". Sometimes it pays to be trustworthy.
Just about this time Mrs. Skipper called to say that in Monroe it was raining in sheets with the addition of hail. As it was looking pretty grim to the west of us and having developed over the years, a good bit of disgression and thusly a bit more valor, we invited her to come and pick us up. Being the good sport that she is, she did-Thank you Mrs. Skip! Of couse it quit raining then and except for moderately high winds the remainder of the afternoon was quite pleasent.
So we will have to try again and next time will let Tom know. If nothing else he may kill the fatted calf.
Hope everyone has a good week-end.
Old 06-28-08, 10:24 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode 20 miles today on the Badger Trail. Started at around 11, stopped at the little bike repair shop in Belleville and grabbed a bit of lunch in downtown Belleville. Then rode back, getting home at 1:45. Didn't see a 50+ jersey but certainly would have stopped if I had. I was on my recumbent.

I live "around the corner" from the bike trail, just off of Sayles, which intersects with Purcell right beside where the trail hits Purcell.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-28-08, 10:28 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last Friday I rode 26 miles on the Badger Trail, starting in Monticello and riding to a couple miles south of Monroe & back.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-28-08, 10:30 PM
rck

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Tom-We must have been behind you as we got to Paoli shortly after 1 pm. The only recumbents that we saw were on the Sugar River trail near Monticello although we wondered if it were you. As to last weeks ride you passed within 1 block of my house and about 1/2 block from Skipper's.
Old 06-28-08, 10:47 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you got to the Paoli area at 1, then you were ahead of me at that time. Most likely we were riding towards each other, then when I exited the trail in Belleville, that's when you passed through. I suspect we were within a couple hundred yards of each other at the closest point.

Roughly where do you live in the Monroe area? I was stuck at Twining Park for a half-hour, waiting out a thunderstorm.

Old 06-29-08, 07:29 AM
rck

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Tom. Just before you got to Twining Park you would have passed through a small warehouse type site. (after the hwy and before the park) 16th ave deadends at the south-west edge of that site. 1/2 block or 2/3rds up is Skipper's house and I'm right around the corner, You are right about us being ahead of you. My brain was not working so well last night. Pm me sometime if you wish to ride south towards Il. and maybe we'll join you. I personally think that the Jane Addams portion of the trail is the prettier section. rck
Old 06-29-08, 12:25 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stopped at the warehouse'y area and rode around the block a bit to take a look at it.

Too bad I missed you yesterday, when we were so close.

I missed running into megaman by about a mile last month.

And Solveg is planning to be very close to where I live, getting here the day after I leave to go to Ohio.

So far I've not met anyone from this forum.

Old 09-19-08, 05:22 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was looking for Mr. rck today, but knew I would not find him as I had no way of identifying him. I looked at various people in the crowd and wondered if they might be rck. Especially people I saw walking on 16th Ave.

On a last second whim, I drove to Monroe today and spent a couple of hours at the Cheese Days Festival. Bought several chunks of locally produced cheese. Had some good ribs & a grilled Applejack cheese sandwich. I pigged out because I felt like pigging out. As I had to be in Oregon by 3:15, I couldn't stay too long. I know that festival is much more lively at night.