Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Am I cynical??---Honest answers (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/461873-am-i-cynical-honest-answers.html)

card 09-04-08 07:06 PM

Am I cynical??---Honest answers

I'll admit, I'm not a very social animal; however, it seems an inordinate amount of posts lately pose a redundant question that no one can answer other the the OP. Maybe it's just me, but the forum seems to be a little stagnant lately. OK, FLAMES accepted.

CCrew 09-04-08 07:48 PM

Sounds to me like you're doing what you're accusing others of..

-R

The Weak Link 09-04-08 07:54 PM

I'm thinking:
1) it's prime cycling season, people are out riding or too tired to post.
2) political conventions have been distracting.
3) I like numbered lists. I don't know why. Maybe I need a sense of order in my life.
4) feel free to initiate compelling and interesting posts, preferably with pictures, discussions of babes, pictures of discussons of babes, bad saddles, good tires, hard singletrack, steep hills and happy trails.
But, if you just want to complain, as I said, there's plenty of that going on in the political forums.

Red Rider 09-04-08 09:34 PM

I'm not sure of your point. BF has been like that since I joined, nearly 2 yrs. ago.

Can you be more specific?

Tom Bombadil 09-04-08 09:38 PM

--

SaiKaiTai 09-04-08 09:39 PM

Seriously? I am too cynical to judge

Louis 09-04-08 10:00 PM

DG is missing, Catweasel is missing, and lord knows how we miss Big Paulie.

Need I say more?:)

Tom Bombadil 09-04-08 10:11 PM

DG has only been missing for about a week. He's been gone that long a couple times in the past. Let's hope that he's been busy with honest work or wild fun and will return soon.

George 09-04-08 10:13 PM

I miss crosschain:(

Rober 09-04-08 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by card (Post 7403403)
I'll admit, I'm not a very social animal; however, it seems an inordinate amount of posts lately pose a redundant question that no one can answer other the the OP. Maybe it's just me, but the forum seems to be a little stagnant lately. OK, FLAMES accepted.

You don't seem cynical to me. You seem honest.

Wanderer 09-04-08 11:22 PM

That and the usual complaint that someone ought to go to the archives and look it up. If they, or me, need help, give it, or skip over it.

Jet Travis 09-05-08 03:18 AM

The 50+ forum is like a lion that is dozing in the sunshine. It seems to be in a deep sleep. But if you mention something controversial, like chain lube, it will come roaring back to life.

Pman 09-05-08 03:41 AM

You must mean the threads like "What color bike should I like?"

crtreedude 09-05-08 03:52 AM

Huh?, Oh, sorry, I was taking a nap...

Trsnrtr 09-05-08 03:53 AM

I've found that a daily dose of Metamucil cures cynicism after a few days.

hy_tek 09-05-08 04:51 AM

No you're not cynical just old and boring...I am switching to the 100+ forum now to read some inciteful posts. You youngsters worry too much.....:twitchy:

maddmaxx 09-05-08 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 7404952)
That and the usual complaint that someone ought to go to the archives and look it up. If they, or me, need help, give it, or skip over it.

Fortunately, that doesn't happen too often in 50+. Over in the mechanics forum there are folks who can't wait to jump on a poor ignorant (their attitude) poster who has the nerve to ask a question that has already been asked. I don't understand the point of that. Help those who need help along the way.

monk 09-05-08 05:25 AM

I've learned alot on this forum, but my biggest complaint is that legitimate questions are often made fun of.

DnvrFox 09-05-08 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by monk (Post 7405520)
I've learned alot on this forum, but my biggest complaint is that legitimate questions are often made fun of.

I don't agree. There may be a bit of good-natured poking fun for a short while, but it is not too long before someone answers the question directly and correctly.

I think this may be more true in other forums.

Could you provide some examples?

Trsnrtr 09-05-08 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 7405549)
I don't agree. There may be a bit of good-natured poking fun for a short while, but it is not too long before someone answers the question directly and correctly.

I think this may be more true in other forums.

I don't agree, either. Even in the thread where a poster asked what a MUP is, Red Rider suggested Google which does provide the answer. After some good natured banter, MaddMaxx gave the answer. OK, OK, we could have been a little more forthcoming, but really, how long would the forum last if everyone was so stodgy? :D

BSLeVan 09-05-08 07:10 AM

Harry Stack Sullivan coined the term consensual validation. By it he meant the process of seeking confirmation that our experiences, thoughts, ideas, etc. were a normal function of seeking to know that our subjective perceptions were not aberrant and could fit within the context of objective reality. In many ways this process leads individuals toward higher levels of adaptive interpersonal skills. What seems obvious to one may not be perceived in the same way by another. My grandmother would have said all of this thusly: "Folks are what they are and they do what they got to do."

jens5 09-05-08 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by card (Post 7403403)

I agree. Same old s**t, over and over. I find that I now search for just the specifics.
It's like new rock. It's all been done before.

rck 09-05-08 08:26 AM

Cynical? Possibly. Masochistic? Definitely!

howsteepisit 09-05-08 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 7405916)
Harry Stack Sullivan coined the term consensual validation. By it he meant the process of seeking confirmation that our experiences, thoughts, ideas, etc. were a normal function of seeking to know that our subjective perceptions were not aberrant and could fit within the context of objective reality. In many ways this process leads individuals toward higher levels of adaptive interpersonal skills. What seems obvious to one may not be perceived in the same way by another. My grandmother would have said all of this thusly: "Folks are what they are and they do what they got to do."

Seems to me he's saying folks like to discuss what they are thinking about.

Monoborracho 09-05-08 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 7405331)
The 50+ forum is like a lion that is dozing in the sunshine. It seems to be in a deep sleep. But if you mention something controversial, like chain lube, it will come roaring back to life.

+1 or white bikes