Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fastest speed ever

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fastest speed ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 06:09 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fastest speed ever

I am currently on vacation in the Adirondaks, I love this place. This was the day to do the Teddy Roosevelt ride. I was supposed to do this ride a few weeks back but get rained out. This was a great ride from North Creek to Blue Mountain lake, up to Long lake, then through Newcomb & Minerva and back to North Creek. This ride covers 85 miles of spectacular views with 6000 feet of climbing with three big climbs - the lowest point on the trip is at North Creek as it is on the Hudson River. The thrilling descent is after a long climb out of Newcomb - once at the top of the ridge you drop down over 1000 ft to Manerva. They had repaved this road this summer, there was no traffic, I was on my steel Simoncini - I let her rip. Top speed hit 48.6 MPH In the past I had a speed wobble on this bike - two years ago and never trusted it at speed since - she was solid as a rock. I hit a tight turn at the bottom and she tracked through it at over 35 MPH! What a ride!

More details:
I started at 9:00 AM to a stiff west wind and 50 degrees temps, was sporting arm warmers and a wind breaker. Took my hydration pack full of ice water, a bottle of Gatoraid and a Bottle of Nuun, 4 Kashi Trail mix bars and 4 Gu packs. Headed out of North Creek into the head wind and made the 1000' climb to Indian Lake and then on to Blue Mountain lake. When I got there I stoped at an outdoor outfitter store and looked at canoes. The average speed was 13.5MPH (Mile 32) - dissapointing. I ate, drank and shopped guide boats and canoes. Then came the climb to the trail head on Blue Mountain and then on the Long Lake which marked the 1/2 way point. The trip to Long lake was due north and the cross wind almost took me off the road a few times. Lunch at Stewarts in Long lake - a ham sandwich. Bought enough water to refill the water bottles, carried gatoraide powder and Nuun tablets to remix the bottles, the hydration pack still had water, put the windbreaker in the backpack put kept the arm warmers on. After 20 mins took off towards Newcomb. Stopped at the historic marker that marked the spot Teddy Roosevelt was at the time William McKinnley died (TR was traveling down from a hike on Mt Marcey at the time) - eat, drank and rested for about 10 mins. Off to the climb before the descent into Minerva. Once I hit the top I let her go. After Minerva I slipped off the arm warmers as the temps were now in the mid 70s. Then back to North Creek were T-Rex took the oath of office at the train station. The average speed ended up to be a little over 15MPH - the tailwind from Long Lake helped. At the end I still had one Kashi bar and one Gu but all bottles & hydration pack were empty. This is a ride I will repeat - maybe next year.
Old 08-26-08, 06:23 PM
rebmeM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. I hear you about the speed wobble thing. I hit 37 coming down a hill and it happened to me. Scarred the sheet out of me! 35 seems to be about fast enough.
Old 08-26-08, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a LOT of trees to look at, through some very empty countryside, especially solo ?.

Great route though, typical ADK hills that 'ya don't think should be that long or steep and just kick butt.

SB
Old 08-26-08, 07:29 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to do some rides in the Adirondacks one day. I'm just north in Montreal and from a tall building we can see the Adirondack mountains on a clear day. Sounds like a nice ride.

Two weeks ago I came down route 242 over Jay Peak in Vermont. I hit 82.2 km/hr. That's a shade over 50 mph. It was intense.
Old 08-26-08, 09:24 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench

Two weeks ago I came down route 242 over Jay Peak in Vermont. I hit 82.2 km/hr. That's a shade over 50 mph. It was intense.
All right!

21 years ago I was paced by two guys in a sports car who signaled that I was doing 55 mph diving into Estes Park, Colorado. But since my 50th birthday, my record is 45.

Might add that I miss New England and upstate New York. Farthest north I'd ridden in New York was Glens Falls, though. It's an amazing state.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 08-26-08 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 05:42 AM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
55mph heading east on I-70 from the Eisenhower tunnel, with a stiff tailwind.

My old Trek had the shimmy problem above about 45. Never figured out what caused it. I think Dave Moulton blogged about shimmy in the past. The trek is gone now so my interest is only academic at this point. The 55 was on my derosa which is steady as a rock at any speed
Old 08-27-08, 11:30 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On the speed wobble- Boreas has always been very stable at speed so it came as a bit of a shock to find that the TCR at speed did not thrill me. Tried a couple of changes and The TCR now has the hand built wheels on it.

Several things can affect the handling of the bike at speed but I was lucky in finding that it was wheels for me.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-27-08, 03:58 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lightingguy
That's a LOT of trees to look at, through some very empty countryside, especially solo ?.

Great route though, typical ADK hills that 'ya don't think should be that long or steep and just kick butt.

SB
Yep - I can do rides at home outside of Albany with the rolling hills and average 17 to 19 MPH but when up int the Daks it's more like the low 16s. Your either going up or down - rarely is there a flat stretch of road. But the riding IMHO is the best - good roads and wonderful views. I could post picks but how many lakes, mountains & trees can one take...

Today was a hiking day - a climb on Chimney Mountain and then to Clear pond - great hiking. I like to do this mid week when the crowds are down. Tomorrow will be a moderate ride - probably out to get a bad of sticky buns in Olmsteadville and then some house maintenance. I need to get in a Metric - probably around Schroon lake so I can hit 300 miles for the week.

As far as teh speed wobble - on the Simoncini it was a loose seat that had slide to the back of the rails, when I fixed it the wobble never returned but I still have been nervous about it - once you almost go in a ditch due to this - it takes a lot to regain the trust. I trust it implicitly now - she performed well. Although I still trust the Tarmac more at speed - that bike just feels incredibly solid as well as fast.
Old 08-27-08, 07:01 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Knees compressed gently against frame can help reduce/end speed wobbles on a downhill. I've hit 55 recently on my Scott CR1 SL with Mavic Kysrium SL wheels. No wobbles.
Old 08-27-08, 09:53 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have had harmonic vibrations (speed wobble) on several single bikes and once on a tandem. Usually at high speed but once at about 12 mph.
Locking knees to toptube or lifting butt off saddle slightly will 'usually' stop/reduce the harmonics
However, had harmonics coming down a paved canyon road in Utah at 43 mph. Clampng knees to toptube and lifting butt did nothing but increase the wobble whereby bike was slaloming across the centerline violently. Did not wish to become a hood ornament around the next curve. Tapped brake and prepared to roll over the bars, which is what happened. Shoulder broken in 2 places (not a colllarbone).
Top speed on our tandem (coasting): 53 mph in the White Mts of northern Arizona.
Top speed pedaling on our tandem: 44 mph (with a 56x13) combo while racing 3 other tandems on a slight downhill. Yup, we were bouncing on the saddle! No, the others did not beat us even if we were the only male/female tandem duo and 20 years their senior.
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 08-28-08, 02:13 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have found that the longer wheelbase and stiffer frame on the Tandem gives us a lot of confidence at speed. But also found that if things are going to go wrong on the T- then it happens a lot quicker. Fastest speed we got was 53.8mph on the T, and that was downhill- offroad. But the highest speed fall was at 35mph- once again offroad after a front tyre blowout. The pilot had time to call out- "Front Tyre----crunch---- flat" It was that quick. Luckily- unlike Zonatandem- All we had were bruises.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-28-08, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About 12 years ago I hit a personal record on my single of 57.2. Backed out of my tuck about 2/3 way down the hill when I remembered there was a stop sign at the bottom and I had a boot in my front tire.
I have slowed down a bit as I've gotten older and have seen too many crashes by my not so quick to learn friends.
Old 08-28-08, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
I hit between 38 and 45 almost every ride near home (it is fairly hilly here). My all time top speed would be substantially more than that, but I don't know exactly what it was.
Old 08-28-08, 03:55 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Exactly 194.2mph, on the ground, on wheels.

No not on a bike silly.

My only regret was getting out of the sport before reaching 200. That's a proper milestone that very few can brag about.

Now a days, it scares the cr** out of me when I remember those days. We knew so little that we didn't even know when to be scared.
Old 08-28-08, 04:19 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode up in the Lake Placid area last summer. The longest ride we did was the Ironman Loop which I guess is around 56 miles. Awesome ride with one decent climb over a shoulder of Whiteface Mtn. It's a great ride if you're ever up that way.
Old 08-28-08, 04:25 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I have found that the longer wheelbase and stiffer frame on the Tandem gives us a lot of confidence at speed. But also found that if things are going to go wrong on the T- then it happens a lot quicker. Fastest speed we got was 53.8mph on the T, and that was downhill- offroad. But the highest speed fall was at 35mph- once again offroad after a front tyre blowout. The pilot had time to call out- "Front Tyre----crunch---- flat" It was that quick. Luckily- unlike Zonatandem- All we had were bruises.
A guy just died in Grand Junction, Co. from head trauma in a crash at 35 mph. You just never know. The fastest I've been lately is 55 mph coming down an open 9%+ grade. I had some tourist idiot pass me, I was 1/3 into the lane, and he didn't cross the yellow line to do it! Scared the hell out of me. I yelled but I doubt they heard as oblivious to the situation as they were. Be careful out there!
Old 08-29-08, 05:04 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I rode up in the Lake Placid area last summer. The longest ride we did was the Ironman Loop which I guess is around 56 miles. Awesome ride with one decent climb over a shoulder of Whiteface Mtn. It's a great ride if you're ever up that way.
Lake Placid is another great aera for cycling - but there are a lot more people up there. I am about 1 hour south. Next spring - if I can keep reasonable conditioning over the summer, I would like to do the Whiteface race which is a climb up memorial Highway to the top - 8 miles, 3000'. It will be a struggle to stay in shape over the winter, the race is in June so there are only about two months of road weather to prep for it.
Old 08-29-08, 06:29 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That must of been a great ride. I grew up just outside of Utica and spent alot of time in the Dacks as a kid. Old Forge, Eagle Bay, Inlet, Limekiln, Blue Mountain, Tupper, Big Moose, I know them all. Great area, I haven't been there since about 1972.
Old 08-29-08, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Columbia County, Pennsylvania, Red Rock Mountain - I climbed it at a mere 7 mph average. Thought I deserved the 52 mph I obtained coming back down. In my youth I came down the mountain from St. Mary's in Pennsylvania (this is the water divide. Everything east goes into the Chesapeake Bay - everything west goes into the Mississippi.) and as a car went by, the passenger rolled down his window and shouted, "Whoa, man! You were hitting over 60 mph!" I didn't have a computer on that bike. So, I don't know if it was true.
Old 08-29-08, 08:49 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Columbia County, Pennsylvania, Red Rock Mountain - I climbed it at a mere 7 mph average. Thought I deserved the 52 mph I obtained coming back down. In my youth I came down the mountain from St. Mary's in Pennsylvania (this is the water divide. Everything east goes into the Chesapeake Bay - everything west goes into the Mississippi.) and as a car went by, the passenger rolled down his window and shouted, "Whoa, man! You were hitting over 60 mph!" I didn't have a computer on that bike. So, I don't know if it was true.
I thought St Mary's was famous as the home to Straubs Brewery. Maybe the "confused water" is the secret for the beer being so good for you without added sugars, salt and preservatives.

Two weekends ago while visiting my Mother-in-law in Williamsport PA I hit 54.5 riding back down one of the local ridges. I wish I could have done it again, then hit 55+ so I could at least "ride my age", but the way up was kind of hard.
Old 08-29-08, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I thought St Mary's was famous as the home to Straubs Brewery. Maybe the "confused water" is the secret for the beer being so good for you without added sugars, salt and preservatives.

Two weekends ago while visiting my Mother-in-law in Williamsport PA I hit 54.5 riding back down one of the local ridges. I wish I could have done it again, then hit 55+ so I could at least "ride my age", but the way up was kind of hard.
Drinking a Straubs at the brewery is to partake of a fresh beer at it's best. Given it is not bottle conditioned and uses lots of corn mash, it doesn't get any better than right at the brewery. However, having a few and then heading back down the mountain on a bike is NOT recommended...regardless of speed.
Old 08-29-08, 09:20 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Exactly 194.2mph, on the ground, on wheels.

No not on a bike silly.

My only regret was getting out of the sport before reaching 200. That's a proper milestone that very few can brag about.

Now a days, it scares the cr** out of me when I remember those days. We knew so little that we didn't even know when to be scared.
Isn't it amazing how we managed to survive our "bullet proof" days?
Old 08-30-08, 06:19 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Riding in the Adirondaks sounds great. It's amazing how fast one can go on a good,
lightly traveled road with a good machine. Enjoying the posts and pictures, keep them
coming please.

Happy Trails
Old 08-30-08, 07:48 PM
Harry helps.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our club does a ride called a Double Ferry. We start in Burlington and go south down the Champlain Valley to cross Lake Champlain at the Charlotte-Essex ferry. Then start the long climb into the Adirondacks. The reward is the downhill to the Port Kent-Burlington ferry. 48.3
Old 08-31-08, 07:25 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tomorrow will mark the end of my 10 day vacation in the Daks - we will miss it. I will have a few more weekends here until ski season starts in Nov. I will ride the bike home tomorrow - 75 miles. My wife will drive the car with all our stuff. The ride has a bit of up and down - but mostly down hill. I did this ride on the 6th of July and averaged 17, I will shoot for 18 this time.

Next weekend will start fall century season. I will do three before the end of the season - next weekends will be the most challenging as I will ride with a fast group. I wil have three in by the beginning of October - then I will start to prepare for ski season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.