Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Anybody carry a first aid kit? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/466250-anybody-carry-first-aid-kit.html)

Cone Wrench 09-16-08 09:25 AM

Anybody carry a first aid kit?

The heart attack thread got me thinking about the advantages of carrying a first aid kit on long rides. I never have carried one and I've only considered it briefly. Maybe it is a good idea.

What to bring?

Ibuprofen - for pain and inflammation
Aspirin - for pain and inflammation and blood thinning, as mentioned in the other thread
a few bandaids
1 large gauze pad (3x3 inches?)
a bit of tape

That wouldn't take up much space in a seat bag and the weight is minor.

What else should be carried?

howsteepisit 09-16-08 09:30 AM

Only rarely have I carried any first aid. As I crash hard enough every couple of years I should I guess.

Also for me some Aspirin and antihistamine might be nice.

pop's 09-16-08 09:36 AM

first aid kit

:)I have thought about keeping one on the bike a small one. I bump myself once and a while and bleed like a hog since I am on one asprin a day. And you never know when you run into a Damsel in distress, and you to can be a hero:love:

Pop's

Yen 09-16-08 10:01 AM

Yep.... but just the contents, not the case. The light flat stuff like band-aids, antiseptic wipes and such. They take up so little room, why not carry them?

In addition to antiseptic wipes, regular baby wipes would also be fine to wipe dirt off wounds before dressing them with the bandage. Or a tube of antiseptic ointment.

Good idea on the aspirin, we need to add that.

buddyp 09-16-08 10:03 AM

advil
tums - good for cramps as well as tummy ache
bandaid - for little boo-boos
bendryl - for insect stings (I'm allergic, probably should have an epi-pen instead)
cell phone - for a ride home if something really bad happens

In a real crash you need so much stuff its not really practical to carry all of it. After my last one I used 2 boxes of tegaderms and that was just to start off.

Billy Bones 09-16-08 10:04 AM

I carry my "general purpose kit" whenever taking to the mountain trails on two wheels. It's a kit I use mainly for hiking and backpacking. In addition to the general pain killers, antihistamines, antacids, and small wound care stuff, it also has an emergency blanket (one of those light foil things) and three different ways to create fire. I also throw in enough star mint candies to generate internal heat if I get separated from my eats and have to hunker down the night. It all goes into a quart-sized zip plastic bag. If you plan this carefully, it's a remarkably small package. It stays updated and is ready to pitch into whatever duty it's called to cover. (I don't bike tour, but the package is small enough that I'll bet it would do that duty, too.)

By the way, pack the DEET in a separate bag!!! DEET-contaminated Ibuprofen is a cast-iron drag. Trust me on this one, ragazzi.

OK, OK, I know; a little intense for a someone not of Teutonic origin.

Hermes 09-16-08 10:06 AM

Antihistamine (insects), anti-inflammatants and a cell phone.

Retro Grouch 09-16-08 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by buddyp (Post 7480130)
In a real crash you need so much stuff its not really practical to carry all of it.

Like maybe a spare pair of shorts to replace the shreaded ones.

Billy Bones 09-16-08 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 7480183)
. . .maybe a spare pair of shorts . . .

Oh, that reminds me. Take a spare set of under pants in bear country!

stapfam 09-16-08 12:54 PM

Gaffa tape works wonders for fixing things that shouldn't move on the bike. Also works to get that flap of skin that is leaking aswell.

Have to admit that I only carry a first aid kit on group rides. When on my own-I have a phone.

bkaapcke 09-16-08 03:08 PM

I put together a kit with stopping the bleeding in mind. Tape, gauze pads, regular and extra large band aids, Baby wipes are great at stopping the oozing of blood from road rash injuries. Foil packs of neosporin are cool too. Several local bikers have been real glad I carry one. Haven't needed it myself, yet. bk

Cone Wrench 09-16-08 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by bkaapcke (Post 7482606)
I put together a kit with stopping the bleeding in mind. Tape, gauze pads, regular and extra large band aids, Baby wipes are great at stopping the oozing of blood from road rash injuries. Foil packs of neosporin are cool too. Several local bikers have been real glad I carry one. Haven't needed it myself, yet. bk

Always a good strategy.

Pamestique 09-16-08 03:52 PM

I don't generally carry anything while on the road. If I crash it's going to be too bad for aspirin or bandaids!

Mountain biking is another story. I carry bandaids, antiseptic wipes, tweezers, tape, aspirin, Bendryl etc. I have a small, compact first aid kit I place in my camelbak. I'd had to use almost everything in it one time or another.

I hope this doesn't sound too icky for some, but the best thing to carry for blood stoppage? A small sanitary pad (like a pantiliner). It's compact, can absorb lots of blood and won't stick to wounds.

Dchiefransom 09-16-08 05:37 PM

Ibuprofen, gauze squares, and band aids. I carry some tape and cheap scissors, also. Now that I'm on Warfarin, I need to be able to keep some pressure on it. I also carry some powder that you put on wounds to stop bleeding. I might get some medical grade super glue. Someone's Grandmother told them that sugar also helps stop bleeding. I haven't tried that one yet.

cyclinfool 09-16-08 06:13 PM

The likely treatable injurys are abrasions, a broken wrist or dislocated or broken shoulder/collar bone. Some gauze and tape for abrasions and two cravats for the shoulder or wrist, rigid material for a splint can usually be found lying around if the wrist is bad. If you plan on helping others, some rubber gloves in the case they are bleeding which can also be used to keep your hands clean on a tire change. Antiseptic cleansing wipes are good too.

However the best thing I think you can carry for emergencies is a cell phone.

Other than the rubber gloves & cell phone you will not find any of this on my bike.

Boudicca 09-16-08 06:59 PM

Ibuprofen, and antiseptic wipes. And I make sure one water bottle always has water, not gatorade.

I suppose you could rinse road rash down with gatorade if there was nothing else going, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Word of warning. Antiseptic wipes dry out eventually. Then you can use the water bottle to wet them again before using them. (I don't know if this works, but it makes me feel better)

I also aim to carry surgical gloves, either for fixing a flat, or for tending a wound, but I never get round to it.

cyclehen 09-16-08 07:16 PM

I carry a single dose of both aspirin and benedryl (both actually for my husband who has scarey allergic reactions, and I fear is heart attack at-risk), a couple of band-aids, a couple of wet-wipes (good for porta-johns or wound clean-up), and an old washcloth (good for grease, blood, or sunscreen in the eyes). And of course always water and a cell phone:)

buddyp 09-18-08 05:50 AM

I think I'm going to start carrying a more substantial first aid kit in the car. There was a crash on my wednesday nite ride yesterday. I didn't see what happened because I ride by myself because I get dropped. back in the parking lot one of the victims asked me if I had a first aid kit and, sadly, I had to say I didn't

I'm thinking the list proposed by bkaapcke is a good one. Just enough stuff to clean up a little and not bleed all over the car on the way home. Real clean up and bandaging can wait til your home. There's no way you're gonna get all the gravel out without a tub or shower.

gcottay 09-18-08 07:54 AM

From one cycling ER doc's perspective, the two most important first aid items are a cell phone and basic life-support skills. Optional third and fourth would be a compact CPR mask and a pair of gloves.

DnvrFox 09-18-08 08:07 AM

Here's my bike:

http://www.treehugger.com/london-bic...ance-image.jpg

Beverly 09-18-08 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by gcottay (Post 7494594)
From one cycling ER doc's perspective, the two most important first aid items are a cell phone and basic life-support skills. Optional third and fourth would be a compact CPR mask and a pair of gloves.

I have 3 of these. I don't carry the compact CPR mask on the bike but it is in my van.

staehpj1 09-18-08 10:28 AM

No first aid kit on local rides or out of town day rides. On long (several days or more) tours yes I carry a fairly basic one.

From another thread:
We started out with the following on the TA:

1. Ibuprofen
2. Benadryl
3. Band aids
4. Ace bandage
5. EPI Pen
6. Prescription medicine
7. Gauze pads
8. A roll of 1"gauze
9. Adhesive tape
10. Bactericide
11. Moleskin
12. Steri-strips

After living with that for a while and after an accident I decided that more and larger gauze pads were a good idea as was wider and more roller gauze.

We found it surprisingly hard to find decent width or length roller gauze in rural Montana. We quickly figured out that it was easier to find first aid type stuff for horses there. They had some really nice roller bandage for horses and came in it nice large rolls and pretty colors. It worked well for people and even matched the patient's jersey.

MAK 09-18-08 08:40 PM

The X-Marts carry a small first aid kit in a cloth zipper case. I removed some useless stuff and added extra band aides, asprin and alcohol swabs (similar to moist towelettes). It weighs almost nothing and it goes in my back center pocket. Once riding, I can't tell it's there.

Interesting note, I ran a major club ride for my club and along with the water bottle, blinkie and other free givaways, I added about 100 small first aide kits ($.95 at the X-Marts) that came in a hard plastic case. Each rider had a choice of one giveaway and the kits went first.

Bottom line...I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

swan652 09-19-08 09:07 AM

Kind of... http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfi...ifact/cat1.jpg
People usually decide they don't need my help.