Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

N-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 09:24 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
N-1

Our son came home on Saturday to be our designated driver for an event we attended in Napa. We pay him, of course; he's taking 10 hrs. of college courses and works two jobs, and always needs more money. At the end of this month he's moving into San Francisco and has discussed getting a bike for the last couple of months.

Cgallagh and I recognized his need and his lack of funds, and so we gave him our last '98 Specialized Hard Rock Classic. We lent mine to our daughter in '03 to help her get around campus in her senior year. Sadly, despite her efforts to secure it, some low-life stole it.

The one left is the bike that got my back on the road in '05. It's sat neglected for a year or more now. Young cgallagh helped his dad put the platform pedals and reflectors back on, cleaned it up and adjusted it to fit him. It's as satisfying as can be to see a good bike go to a rider who'll really use it, and to know how much he appreciates the gift. I know he'll be putting the hilly city miles on it and look forward to hearing about his adventures.

Now with extra space in the garage, I'm torn between a vintage steel bike and a single-speed. Decisions, decsions...
Old 09-22-08, 09:36 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Downhill racing.........................
Old 09-22-08, 10:13 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
I'm torn between a vintage steel bike and a single-speed. Decisions, decsions...
How abbout a vintage steel bike set up as a single-speed, or better yet, a fixie?
Old 09-22-08, 11:39 AM
Don't mince words

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
How abbout a vintage steel bike set up as a single-speed, or better yet, a fixie?
Ah, a happy medium.

Not sure I want to go fixed; my knees can only take so much stress. But SS? Oh, I can be all over that in a heartbeat.
Old 09-22-08, 02:12 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go with the SS. It will make your pedal stroke more efficient. I grabed an old 80's Raliegh set out for the trash man and turned it into a SS. I took it all apart and repainted it, it was light purple, took off the small chain ring and added some newer parts to update it, and put on a unused Brooks saddle. I bought a 19 tooth SS unit for the rear that lets me coast, then gave it to my son while he was in college. He's graduated now and the bike is back home. I've been using the bike for recovery rides and recently did 82 miles on it one day when my regular bike was in the shop. Its a nice alturnitive to ride.
Old 09-22-08, 02:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Put the money you got for the Hard rock into something respectable.

Sorry- Wasn't thinking

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 09-22-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 12:03 AM
Don't mince words

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Put the money you got for the Hard rock into something respectable.

Sorry- Wasn't thinking
Define respectable.

My birthday is next month, and then there's Christmas I can plead my case to the family and see if they respond, or if I'll be the recipient of stuff I know I'll never want.

Want to hel? PM me w/details.
Old 09-23-08, 02:16 AM
Uniekje

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
you sound just like my parents

Old 09-23-08, 10:40 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Define respectable.

My birthday is next month, and then there's Christmas I can plead my case to the family and see if they respond, or if I'll be the recipient of stuff I know I'll never want.

Want to hel? PM me w/details.
My daughters keeps on borrowing bikes from me. She has her own and it is old. So my main job is to rebuild her bike into something she can't break. But it is going to be cheaper to build a new bike for her than one years maintenance.

So start a wish list. You know what you like on your current bikes with regard to components and I am certain you have ridden a few frames that suit your riding style.

So now the choice is Cervello or Trek for the frame- Wheels and do you want them for speed or hill climbing and can you get on with a compact or do you still need the triple?

To be serious- Look around and see what is about. Look to see what you want as a bike. Mountain bike or road. Or even those funny bikes with no gears- low handle bars- no brakes and only go round in circles.

Then come back to us and we'll tell you what to buy.

Spike Milligan