Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Uncle Duke is single (speed) now

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 07:08 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

I finally got around to building a fixed/free rear wheel for my old Fuji. So far I only have a single speed freewheel mounted, but I've ordered a fixed cog for it.

I also changed the drop handlebars to moustache bars just because. I'm changing the bikes name to Raoul Duke to go along with the personality change. I like the simple look of the bike and the couple of short test rides were fun. I found myself riding faster because of the lack of lower gears. Here are a few pictures:

Before -

After -

Old 09-28-08, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sweet. I'd love a ride.
Old 09-28-08, 07:22 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You put BUMPER STICKERS on that sweet, handsome bike**********?
Old 09-28-08, 07:41 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by solveg
You put BUMPER STICKERS on that sweet, handsome bike**********?
Yes, a long time ago. I take it you disapprove?
Old 09-28-08, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Nice bike. I bought myself an old Raleigh Super Course Friday at a yardsale. , Yesterday I completed the single speed conversion ; and today, I cleaned it up a little , and put about 20 miles on it . I too find myself riding faster without the gears. I like the quietness of the single speed . kirby
Old 09-28-08, 07:49 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! I like the simple look too, and the monochromatic color scheme. Very nice.

How do you like the comfort of the moustache bars? They appear to be a compromise between upright and stretched out.
Old 09-28-08, 08:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to pick up a couple more Trek 970 frames, so you keep them in the same config for a year or two.

So you're talking Uncle Duke to Fixie land, eh? How long have you been contemplating this?

If you want a fixie, I think Jet Travis has one for sale.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-28-08, 08:25 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Yes, a long time ago. I take it you disapprove?
He looks great as a fixie. He has such nice lines and color. But those bumper stickers ruin the lines! It's like putting Brendan Fraser in a lime green leisure suit.
Old 09-28-08, 08:40 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by solveg
He looks great as a fixie. He has such nice lines and color. But those bumper stickers ruin the lines! It's like putting Brendan Fraser in a lime green leisure suit.
"To each his own" said the old lady as she kissed the cow. I like the stickers for their bike advocacy messages. The "Share the Road" sticker on the chainstay has been there since I first set up the bike. It serves as the chainstay protector.

I like this bike a lot, but I don't think I've ever revered it the way you seem to. To me it's just a cool old beater bike, not a sculpture.
Old 09-28-08, 08:44 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
"To each his own" said the old lady as she kissed the cow. I like the stickers for their bike advocacy messages. The "Share the Road" sticker on the chainstay has been there since I first set up the bike. It serves as the chainstay protector.

I like this bike a lot, but I don't think I've ever revered it the way you seem to. To me it's just a cool old beater bike, not a sculpture.
I know. I love that bike.
Old 09-28-08, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Never mind all the bumper sticker haters. She looks great and the stickers give 'er some personality...

The ONLY thing this brown beauty is begging for is a medium brown Brooks to go with the frame, bar tape and sidewalls. That would totally complete the Vision and achieve a Nirvana like plane of existential serenity that only comes with single speed (and fixed) bikes that have achieved true urban enlightenment......

GAWD.. I sound like a hipster.....

I'm trying out mustache bars on my own single speed conversion and so far I like them. The old drops looked great but when I tried to get down into them I found that I couldn't breath properly. Part of being over 50 and maybe just a little from the "man muscle" gut... But either way the mustache bars on the old Norco and the bullhorns on the new 925 are my current favourite road bike bar options.

Anyhow, a hearty well done on trying the single speed route. I know I love both of mine and although the new was supposed to be an excuse to sell the old I can't do it. I'm keeping them both.
Old 09-28-08, 09:02 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look what is for sale on the Minneapolis CL:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/bik/849683916.html

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-28-08, 09:31 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I like the bracelet on the rear hub. Any bike that keeps you riding is a good bike.
Old 09-28-08, 10:01 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I like the bracelet on the rear hub. Any bike that keeps you riding is a good bike.
Yeh, what's the story on the bracelet? I meant to ask.
Old 09-28-08, 10:48 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Very nice looking bike. Back in the day, I had a girlfriend who bought a brown Fuji very much like that so she could ride with me (she became a pretty good rider, too). She named him Butch.
Old 09-29-08, 03:44 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. The Uncle Duke is built for all day comfort. Now let's see what you can do with Daisy Duke.
Old 09-29-08, 08:59 AM
just keep riding

The bracelet is a Livestrong bracelet that I slipped over the hub before building it up. As for the saddle, believe it or not, this Brooks B17 Champion Special was Honey colored when new. Years of sweat, rain and Proofhide have turned it dark brown. I ain't changing it. I may look into ways to darken the bar tape, like shellac, maybe.
Old 09-29-08, 09:05 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really nice looking bike. You'll have a ball riding it around town. My only question is, Why the purple cage? I can't get the visual out of my mind.
Old 09-29-08, 03:16 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Really nice looking bike. You'll have a ball riding it around town. My only question is, Why the purple cage? I can't get the visual out of my mind.
I could make up some great story about how I was trying to evoke an emotional response in the casual observer by using conflicting color schemes or I could tell the truth which is that I used what I had laying around with little if any regard to color. Actually, it looks more red in person. There will probably be a silver stainless steel cage on there eventually.
Old 09-29-08, 03:55 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Yen
How do you like the comfort of the moustache bars? They appear to be a compromise between upright and stretched out.

To me, moustache bars feel more like drop bars than upright. Their biggest drawback is the lack of the normal top position. The position in the curves is similar to traditional tops, but more forward, making for a more stretched out resting position. This is the position I use most as it is where you have access to the brake levers. It can be quite comfortable or painful. Height, stem length and bar tilt are critical in finding your individual sweet spot.

The hoods position is not very comfortable and doesn't allow enough leverage for effective braking. It is useful for a short aero tuck or a brief alternate position to keep the hands fresh.

The biggest advantage of moustache bars is the great climbing leverage when gripped out near the ends. They are equally comfortable for seated or standing climbing. I think this will be very useful on a bike with no low gearing options.
Old 09-29-08, 07:28 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From your description, it sounds like moustache bars may not be the best for me and my bad wrist. Thanks for your description.
Old 09-30-08, 06:24 AM
train safe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welcome to the 'dark side'

train safe-
Old 09-30-08, 09:13 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buelito
welcome to the 'goofy side'

train safe-
fixed

I say that only because, to me, fixed gear makes absolutely no sense when used off the track. Single speed is fine but make mine a freewheel.

Now I'm thinking that I might make a single speed out of my old late '70s Apollo.

Last edited by Cone Wrench; 09-30-08 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 03:44 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
fixed

I say that only because, to me, fixed gear makes absolutely no sense when used off the track. Single speed is fine but make mine a freewheel.

Now I'm thinking that I might make a single speed out of my old late '70s Apollo.
Does everything we do have to make sense? I don't think so.
Old 09-30-08, 04:01 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I look forward to the day when BD converts Uncle Duke to a comfort bike. With suspension fork & seat post, riser bars, cushy saddle, & adjustable stem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.