Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

define: Base Miles

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 12:29 PM
Miles over Matter

Bikes: trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll take a stab at it without wikipdeia or google - The maximum distance your body can comfortably endure on any given day.

Correct?
Old 09-23-08, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
"Base miles" must be one of those terms with multiple meanings. IME, it's always referred to early-season, high-volume, low-intensity training (aka LSD - Long Steady Distance). ie, the stuff you do before you start doing speedwork and intervals.

SP
Old 09-23-08, 01:04 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
To me- Base miles are the amount you must do in a week/month/year that will maintain your minimum required fitness. For me that is around 60 to 80 miles a week. Then when I want to train for extra milage or that longer/faster ride- I have to put in extra miles or Faster/extra miles to get that extra fitness.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-23-08, 01:12 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Base miles - those miles you put on that aren't specifically aimed at any training goal, just miles and miles.
Old 09-23-08, 01:18 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
And here I was going to the local Little League park, riding my bike around the diamond, just to make sure I get in all my "base miles."

Boy, do I feel dumb.
Old 09-23-08, 01:25 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If a rider intends to begin an orgianized training program for performance, base miles are the first step. They are the miles put in early in the season or over the winter and are usually long and not of a high intensity. The rider's goal is to be able to ride more miles than he/she will race at by building a fitness base from which to start the training cycle. Once race specific training begins the rider will not do many training sessions that total more miles than his/her races unless the workout is for 'tempo" training. The rider needs to be able to recover from the high intensity workouts and/or races at this time of the season instead of building fitness by riding for hours in HR rate Zones 2 and 3.
Old 09-23-08, 01:53 PM
Miles over Matter

Bikes: trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I had it wrong. I generally do 3 to 4 rides a week at about 25 to 30 miles each and I try to throw in one ride that's somewhere around 40. I figured that my base miles were around 30 and if I needed to get ready for a longer ride (say 50 miles) then I would have to start increasing my base miles.
Old 09-23-08, 02:07 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spoke50
I guess I had it wrong. I generally do 3 to 4 rides a week at about 25 to 30 miles each and I try to throw in one ride that's somewhere around 40. I figured that my base miles were around 30 and if I needed to get ready for a longer ride (say 50 miles) then I would have to start increasing my base miles.

For your own training program you are correct. What may help in reaching 50 miles is to ride some of your regular rides at little faster pace than you intend to ride the 50 miler in. Your body wont be working as hard but will need to be able to ride for a longer time. The biggest difference you'll see in going form 30 mile rides to 50 miles rides will be in "fueling on the bike". If you are not yet eating while riding this is a good time to start.
Old 09-23-08, 03:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I used to do a long offroad ride. 100 miles takes a long time to ride and there is no way we could get in a 12 hour ride to train for it. Easy way out was to work out our average for the 100 and it was just over 8mph. So we worked out a tough 30 mile route taking in a couple of severe hills and some tricky singletrack. When we could do the 30 miles in 2 1/2 hours- or 12mph- we were fit enough for the 100.

Made no difference as after about 65 miles- we were running on empty. It was just turn the pedals and get through the ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-23-08, 06:34 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Base miles = 100 miles per week for me. I need to do that to maintain the point I want to train. It does not make much difference how I ride these miles, just do it.
Old 09-23-08, 06:59 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure what the official meaning is but for me it is those miles done in March where I am just getting the legs use to the bike again after a long winter, no HRM yet, no sprints or intervals - just hardening up the rear end and turning the pedals in the cold weather, trying to get use to 100miles/wk again. The real work starts in early April.
Old 09-24-08, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
And here I was going to the local Little League park, riding my bike around the diamond, just to make sure I get in all my "base miles."

Boy, do I feel dumb.
Dumb and dumber, how about army base miles?
Old 09-24-08, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
If a rider intends to begin an orgianized training program for performance, base miles are the first step. They are the miles put in early in the season or over the winter and are usually long and not of a high intensity. The rider's goal is to be able to ride more miles than he/she will race at by building a fitness base from which to start the training cycle. Once race specific training begins the rider will not do many training sessions that total more miles than his/her races unless the workout is for 'tempo" training. The rider needs to be able to recover from the high intensity workouts and/or races at this time of the season instead of building fitness by riding for hours in HR rate Zones 2 and 3.
Bingo. That is the only definition I ever heard for base miles.
Old 09-24-08, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy

Boy, do I feel dumb.
Well, at least you had all your bases covered.