Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Short evening ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Short evening ride

Old 09-24-08, 02:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Short evening ride

It was only 5 miles up the Mup- Uphill to the pub and down hill back. Wanted to check out the lights and was bit early to find out on the way up- so that was where the Pub came in.

After a mile or so I came across another rider on his $200 full suspension Mountain bike. Said hello and passed him. 2 miles further on and I heard this puffing behind me and he had stayed with me once I overtook him. So I dropped the pace a bit to ride alongside him and it got round to the bikes. Apparantly this was his sons bike that was about 3 years old. It looked brand new and the son had never ridden it more than about 50 miles before Girls came into his life. So Dad had decided to get fit and this was his first summer of riding. He had now got up to about 20 mile rides twice a week and was now ready for his next adventure. He wanted to go offroad and see what it was like.

Told him a few routes for easy climbs and not too difficult terrain and he is going to try them at the weekend. Or he was. After my stop at the pub- only for an Orange juice by the way- I met him on the way back. Pushing his bike.

He won't be riding that bike at the weekend. The seat post had broken- and the saddle had fallen off. He did not realise it till he went over a bump, the saddle fell off, and he sat down on the broken seat tube. Nothing serious- but I could tell by the tear in his Jeans- That must have been painfull.

Oh and the lights work- But the rear lamp needs new batterys. It was just a dull glow by the time I got home.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-24-08, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice that you slowed. A lot of times, we think someone is "racing" us, when all the guy is doing is using the guy who passed him to pace himself.
Old 09-24-08, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch, that story just hurts thinking about it. It was nice that he had you as someone to run into in his foray that evening.
Old 09-24-08, 04:14 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the saddle fell off, and he sat down on the broken seat tube.
Note to self: Check seatpost before every ride.
Old 09-25-08, 01:36 PM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 years old and the kid's already doing fifty mile rides and chasing girls? What an animal!
Old 09-25-08, 02:43 PM

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by swan652
3 years old and the kid's already doing fifty mile rides and chasing girls? What an animal!
hmmm.... i'm 50+ years old, i do 3 mile rides and get chased by girl..... dogs... and i've been called a jackass.... that's about the same thing, isn't it.

be well,

jim
Old 09-25-08, 04:20 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seat fell off - could be good training for that prostate check...