Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Poseur Overkill?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Poseur Overkill?

Old 09-29-08, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poseur Overkill?

I didn't know where to post this, and since this is where I "hang out", here goes---Today while on my local MUP I watched a pack [5] ride past me, all in full racing attire. Kinda figured these type of dudes wouldn't be caught dead on an MUP. Don't they call it "the granny trail"? I admit I don't own any bike racing stuff--still jeans and sweatshirt--but when I'm push'n it, I do it on the road, the MUP is more for relaxing. I was laughing too hard to get the camera out in time
Old 09-29-08, 05:55 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, you were the guy laughing at us on the MUP. Stay away from the tall weeds, sonny.
Old 09-29-08, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have seen a few groups like this on MUPs, I get a kick out of them especially if they make know effort to say hello or nod.
Old 09-29-08, 06:03 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
If by full racing attire you mean bib shorts and some sort of colorful jersey, then it could be me.... Wait a few more weeks and I'll switch to bib tights....
Old 09-29-08, 06:03 PM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In some states you must use the MUP instead of the road if one is available.
Old 09-29-08, 06:08 PM
Boomer

Originally Posted by n4zou
In some states you must use the MUP instead of the road if one is available.
? unfounded rumor ?
Old 09-29-08, 07:31 PM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Real cyclists wear appropriate and suitable gear. The pretend cyclists are those wearing junky clothes and pretending to ride. Some of those people even ride wired on tires and wave. Yuck.
Old 09-29-08, 07:56 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mandovoodoo
Real cyclists wear appropriate and suitable gear. The pretend cyclists are those wearing junky clothes and pretending to ride. Some of those people even ride wired on tires and wave. Yuck.
So I must be just pretending. But I sure am having a lot of fun doing it!
Old 09-29-08, 08:03 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, what's a MUP?
Old 09-29-08, 08:10 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenport
I didn't know where to post this, and since this is where I "hang out", here goes---Today while on my local MUP I watched a pack [5] ride past me, all in full racing attire. Kinda figured these type of dudes wouldn't be caught dead on an MUP. Don't they call it "the granny trail"? I admit I don't own any bike racing stuff--still jeans and sweatshirt--but when I'm push'n it, I do it on the road, the MUP is more for relaxing. I was laughing too hard to get the camera out in time
define 'racing attire', so I can decide whether to laugh with you or at you.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-29-08, 08:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I rode my 153 miles last week, I switched between wearing my REI cargo shorts and Wrangler denin shorts, along with Target C9 tech jerseys and my Merrell low-rise hiking shoes. Very comfy on my recumbent.

I find cycling clothes to be less than optimal when riding my bent on rail trails. 1) You don't need padded shorts on a bent, if anything all they do is make you hot & sweaty. 2) You don't need a cycling jersey with back pockets, for you can't use the back pockets when you have a seat back. And 3) as cycling clothes are rarely worn on these rail trails, you look kinda strange as compared to everyone else and especially when you stop to tour towns along the ride.

The experience is very different as compared to a group ride where nearly everyone is wearing cycling kit, where padded shorts are a good thing, and where rear jersey pockets are useful.

Also along these types of trails, nearly everyone says hello & nods or waves to everyone they pass. It is considered rude to not acknowledge others.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-29-08, 08:16 PM
Look! My Spine!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't be caught death with the AMD logo on my arse. That said, I have some non-pro shorts that I use all the time.
Old 09-29-08, 08:21 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, FCR2, Cypress

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
OK, what's a MUP?
Multi Use Path; A road, trail or path intended for bicycling , jogging, walking, etc.
Old 09-29-08, 08:23 PM
hello

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts
I don't know where to go with this.....
Old 09-29-08, 08:29 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
define 'racing attire', so I can decide whether to laugh with you or at you.
That would be the recumbent-specific baggy-MTB-shorts-without-padding and wicking poly Champion t-shirt from Target with SPD shoes? I'm training for the TDF.
Old 09-29-08, 08:37 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
That would be the recumbent-specific baggy-MTB-shorts-without-padding and wicking poly Champion t-shirt from Target with SPD shoes? I'm training for the TDF.
Beard or no beard? Everybody knows that pro TDF bent riders have beards...and pot bellies.
(well only the Dutch have pot bellies...it's legal there)
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-29-08, 08:42 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Beard or no beard? Everybody knows that pro TDF bent riders have beards...and pot bellies.
(well only the Dutch have pot bellies...it's legal there)
Gotta get to work on the beard and pot belly. And, gotta find a "doctor" to help improve my performance.
Old 09-29-08, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read a bunch of these threads and don't understand them. So I have to don the dress of a professional whenever I chose to do something? Need a chef's hat to cookout, a UPS uniform to bring home a package, Driving gloves, shoes and helmet for the trip to the grocery store in a car... If you saw the Lance on a fixie thread it's obvious that the pros don't dress like that when they are out havng a good time...
Old 09-29-08, 09:28 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Anytime I'm riding more than 3 or 4 miles, I wear cycling shorts or MTB shorts, a cycling shirt, gloves, and helmet and that includes rides on the local MUP. I don't take leisurely rides on the MUP, frequently averaging over 14 MPH riding an older MTB on gravel.
But I have no problem with those riding with jeans and T-shirts taking leisurely rides (wish they'd ride with helmets). I'm enjoying my ride and I'm sure they're enjoying theirs.
When I come across someone who points and snickers or laughs because I'm in full gear, I just say "Hey Fred (or Wilma) how ya'doin?"
Old 09-30-08, 06:57 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nivekdodge
I've read a bunch of these threads and don't understand them. So I have to don the dress of a professional whenever I chose to do something? Need a chef's hat to cookout, a UPS uniform to bring home a package, Driving gloves, shoes and helmet for the trip to the grocery store in a car... If you saw the Lance on a fixie thread it's obvious that the pros don't dress like that when they are out havng a good time...
What threads are those? Other than in the road forum, where fashion is king, the majority seem to like dissing 'lycra super heros'.

FYI, Lance wasn't about to don bibs and a jersey to go riding with the Mash crew. When in Rome...

Bottom line, wear what you want and let others do the same.
Old 09-30-08, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenport
This post is really sad. Judging people because they do not dress like you. You have no idea where they were going or where they have been but you see fit to judge them all the same.
Old 09-30-08, 07:12 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
In the Philadelphia, the pro teams frequently use the river trail bike paths prior to the Philadelphia International Championships in June. I've talked to some of the riders and they say it's not a "training" ride for them. Rather, it's a relaxed ride to loosen up. Keep in mind that a relaxed ride for them can still be 18 to 20 mph. And, Frankly, I'd much sooner have a pack of them pass me than local wannabe riders who don't have the handling skills these pros do.
Old 09-30-08, 07:24 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nivekdodge
I think those are poor examples. There are some sports for which the sport specific clothing makes a very big difference in performance. Bowling comes to mind. I can better execute the proper approach, release, and delivery with bowling shoes than without them. Tennis also comes to mind. Yes, I can play tennis in running shoes, but the shoes designed specifically for tennis will allow me to perform better, with more comfort, and safety. Come to think of it, your cooking example isn't completely off. No, you don't have to wear a chef's hat, but if you might choose to wear an apron to keep your clothing clean and/or pull your hair back to keep it out of the food. There are some legitimate functional reasons for wearing cycling specific clothing. Using Lance as an example is a bit misleading. When he wants his best performance, I'd venture a guess that he wears clothing that will help him achieve this. If I want my best performance, I'll pick clothing that will contribute to it. Conversely, If I'm riding to the local market with my niece to pick up a few things, I'll wear clothing appropriate for that task.

Now in terms of the UPS uniform... thanks for the idea! I think I'll talk with my wife about doing a bit of fantasy play if I can get my hands on a UPS uniform....
Old 09-30-08, 07:27 AM

Bikes: 91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My club occasionally starts a ride on a MUP. The MUP takes us out of town and then we turn off onto country roads. So what?
Old 09-30-08, 07:56 AM
Boomer

One of the things that defines pousers is their ability to look down the nose at people who are not like them..................

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.