Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Post your fleet

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Post your fleet

Old 09-30-08, 09:56 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post your fleet

I thought this might make for an interesting thread. Many of us have more
than one bike, some of us have several. I have some bikes that I like to use
for specific uses as I知 sure many of us do. It might be fun to post our fleets
explaining how we like to use each bike in the fleet. I知 sure it would be very
interesting, if not enlightening to learn of the various uses we have for our bikes.
For the purpose of this thread I propose that a fleet consist of anywhere from
one to many bikes. I also would like to see this be about bikes that we use, not
collectables that are just hanging in the garage (though they are interesting too).
Pictures would be nice but optional.

I値l add my contribution in a few days when I have a suitable picture of my
modest collection of bikes, though for starters I will mention that I have bikes for
Commuting, Running errands, Recreational rides of various types and distances,
and even one for pulling an old Cannondale trailer.
Old 09-30-08, 10:23 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
You asked...

1997 Diamondback Outlook DX. Purchased new to replace my old DB that was stolen. Given to my older son last September because his bike was too small for him and I never really rode anyway.

2000 Diamondback Wildwood. Purchased new for my wife so we could ride together (spent most of its time hanging in the garage till I started riding again last year and she accompanied me).

1986 Diamondback Ascent. $40 Craig's List find I bought last September after giving my bike to my son. Ended up refurbishing it, taking a few test rides and 500 miles later, found myself hooked.

1993 Diamondback Sorrento. $50 Craig's List find purchased for younger son last September to replace his way-to-small bike.

1977 Scwhinn Le Tour II. Rescued from a dumpster by a friend of mine earlier this year. Having put over 1,000 miles on my old MTB, it seemed like a good time to try a road bike. It has since become my commuter.

1978 Schwinn Le Tour III. $50 Craig's List find to get my wife off her comfort bike and, what the heck, it matched my road bike pretty well. It is now her grocery getter.

2007 Schwinn Le Tour GS. Bought last April when I decided I really liked riding a road bike. Taught me what I wanted in my NEXT road bike (hopefully later this year) and will then become my commuter.

2006 Fuji Finest 1.0. Bought as a leftover last May so my wife would have some chance of keeping up with me. Also acting as leverage for aforementioned next road bike for me.
Likes For CACycling:
Old 09-30-08, 12:56 PM
screenwasher
screenwasher

Bikes: Jamis Aurora 2007, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 2006, Trek Antelope 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
N: early 1990s Trek Antelope 820 - around town for errands, although I rode several metric centuries on this before getting the N+1 bug
N+1: 2007 Jamis Aurora - club and event rides, longer solo rides, touring
N+2: 2006 Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe - for ease of carrying along on longer road or air trips (and for rides with wife, who also has a Bike Friday)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
069 [800x600].jpg (80.4 KB, 30 views)
068 [800x600].JPG (94.7 KB, 39 views)
067 [800x600].JPG (93.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-30-08, 12:59 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
O.K. I tried to get the fleet into one concise picture. I致e accomplished
that but the quality isn稚 all that great. Anyway, here goes.

Disclaimer.for me, recreational use is equivalent to 15 to 65 mile rides.

Against the garage on the left is a 1994 Schwinn 354 Aluminum Road Bike
which I use occasionally (3 or 4 times per year) for quick, nimble road riding.
It痴 a very quick bike. Strictly recreational use though I have done some
MS-150痴 with it.

Against the garage in the center is a 2005 Volae Tour. This is a relatively new
acquisition for me and I知 enjoying it a lot. It痴 quick and a fun recreational ride.

Against the garage on the right is a 2007 Sun EZ Sport. I use this to tool around
the neighborhood and though I rode a solo century on it last year I don稚
recommend it since it痴 a heavy Cruiser type of bike.

Front left is a 1986 Raleigh Marathon steel road/touring bike. This is my
Nostalgia bike. I値l take this out when I need the old steel feel I had with my
Old Schwinn Varsity.

Front center is a 2001 Raleigh C-40 aluminum hybrid. I use this to tow my
Cannondale Bugger trailer on beer runs etc. I do some shopping with it though
my bride usually has the shopping thing well taken care of with no help from me.
It痴 also fun to take short recreational rides on either around the hood or out on
the canal path.

Front right is my workhorse, a 1988 Trek 820 Antelope. This tank is my year
round commuter and occasional errand runner. Note the big old steel fenders
and the dorky basket bolted to the rear. Style is not my goal with this beast.

Below is our 2004 EZ Tandem. This I ride when the wife is up to riding with me.
We got about a half dozen rides in this year on it and we池e anxious for our next
Ride.

That痴 it for the bikes that get used each year. There are several more literally
Hanging around, but that痴 a whole other story.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 09-30-08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 01:16 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default bike: '06 Trek Portland

The Portland amazes me every time I ride it, which I did to the tune of 4,600 miles in my first year of ownership. It's essentially the front half of a cyclocross bike mated with the back half of a touring bike. Rather than being a schizophrenic compromise, there's synergy between the two that results in a refined, comfortable ride that's fast yet with predictable handling. It's never complained about any type of surface I've thrown at it, and happily goes wherever I point its wheel.

Second bike: '00 Trek 1000

Yellow Bike was a $100 Craigslist special that was essentially a rescue bike. I wanted a project and I got it with Yellow Bike. It had been badly abused by its previous owner. I ended up throwing out most of the bike, keeping only the frame, fork, stem, bars, brake calipers and bottle cage bolts. Everything else was replaced.

Although entry-level, (and weighing three pounds more than the Portland) Yellow Bike is pure racing geometry, which makes it a fast and frisky ride. Like a puppy, all it wants to do is run and play. When I indulge it, (about 15% of my 2008 miles to date are on it) it always manages to pull a few extra watts out of me that I didn't know I had.

Last edited by tsl; 09-30-08 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 02:16 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Where do you start!!!!!

Giant SCR3 (OCR3 to the Americans) Bought June 2006 to find out what the Dark Side of riding is all about. Sora 8 speed and nothing wrong with that.Good cheap bike to get started on- but just "TOO" cheap on the wheels. They were changed after 6 months for a pair of Handbuilt training wheels and the bike has not looked back. Good enough to get me up my first mountain so can't complain.

Boreas Ignis- Bought as frame and forks on 7/7/07- built up with some lightness but cost being the main factor. 15 1/2lbs of pure fun and a joy to ride.

TCR-C- bought as frame and forks again and built up at the LBS to give me my first insight into CF. Climbs fantasticaly but speed is not its forte. (It gets skittish above 25mph on bumpy roads)

Cannondale MT 2000 The bike that kept me riding after a couple of years of poor health. The only way to go offroad- providing the team work well. Greatly modified from standard and is a true offroad machine. It doesn't go round corners- brakes do work- Doesn't steer and doesn't do fast uphills. But is the most fantastic offroad machine I have ever ridden. Only drawback is the all up weight of 55lbs.

Bianchi Hardtail "Grizzly" Ideal bike for our local offroad that involves steep lumpy hills with loose scree and ruts. 24lbs of fun.

There are others like the Kona Explosif (92 model)-The GT Talera-The giant bouncy thing that belongs to my Son-in-law and a couple of others in the shed- if I ever venture far enough back to see them.
Attached Images
Rafters.jpg (45.4 KB, 55 views)
B3.jpg (54.0 KB, 38 views)
B2.jpg (51.0 KB, 40 views)
south downs way 2004 008.jpg (66.0 KB, 42 views)
Bianchi2.jpg (41.1 KB, 37 views)
Kona.jpg (55.9 KB, 39 views)
TopLM.jpg (44.2 KB, 49 views)
50front house.jpg (57.6 KB, 65 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 09-30-08, 02:21 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 517 Posts
Those of you who frequent C&V have seen Capo #1 and Capo #2, my classics. I generally use them or my Bianchi on club and other recreational rides, whereas the old Peugeot and the Schwinn mountain bike get most of my transportation and commuting use.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-30-08, 03:04 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
This first one is my Mercian Vincitore ('86) which I ride on long tours. I rode it on Paris-Brest-Paris in '91 but have also used it for loaded camping/touring. This photo taken at Yosemite.

2nd is my '57 (date on AW hub) Hercules, which I've ridden on the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour, as well as countless times to the grocery stores, Post Office, bank and other odd errands. Shown with panniers I use for grocery shopping and my ancient Bell helmet.

3rd is my '77 MASI (I've owned it since '82) which was my main road bike back in the 80's and early 90's but has been converted to fixed gear (42 x 15) and is now my MUP and recovery ride bike.

4th is the SRAM - GT, a Ti frame GT Edge with a SRAM Force component group and Neuvation wheels. This one is compact crank so mostly for club rides with some (but not a lot) of climbing. Ooops, this photo taken before Neuvation wheels were installed!

5th is another GT Ti, this one with Shimano standard crank (53 x 39) and a tighter cluster (12 - 25) plus lightweight Shimano wheels. This is my "Go fast for short distance" bike. Used on fun rides and short fast club rides.

6th is my Calfee Tetra Custom with Shimano Ultegra triple crankset and 12-27 cassette. This is the one I ride on double centuries and climbing rides (more than 5,000 feet per day, or really steep stuff).

I don't have photos of my folding bike (KHS Mocha), my mountain bike (GT Zaskar) or my GT Chro-Mo Edge with the triple crank. Will try to take photos of these and edit/add at a later date.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 09-30-08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 08:06 PM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

main ride, 05 Giant

86 Trek 1500

78 paramount

Burley tandem

my trailer
Old 09-30-08, 09:30 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Ribby - 1992 Bridgestone RB-1

This has been my main road ride for the past 17 years and 35-40K miles. Repainted and significantly rebuilt in 2000. This is the bike I take when I want to ride the roads, not stop and walk around. A perfect partner for a century ride. A great example of a sweet handling, Japanese, lugged steel road bike.

Kemo Sabe - 1992 Trek 970

Another eBay purchase as a frame and fork. This bike has been reconfigured so many times it is hard to keep up with them all. It has served well as an around town hybrid, as a normal rigid MTB and all purpose dirt and road bike with dirt drop bars. A sweet riding and handling lugged steel workhorse.

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

My only modern bike. A great bike for long and fast rides on rough trails and twisty singletrack. Climbs like a mountain goat and smooths out the roughest trails with its 5 inches of travel on each end. Big time smile maker.

2009 Salsa Casseroll

Originally purchased as a complete single speed bike. I converted it to a geared bike with triple crank. Set up for long distance comfort, rain, commuting and light touring.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 11-30-09 at 09:15 PM. Reason: changes made to bikes since original post
Old 09-30-08, 10:01 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I've shown all these at one time or another, but here goes again:

2007 Davidson, built by Bill Davidson, Seattle. Ti frame, Dura Ace triple, big XTR cassette on the rear, XTR hubs. My bike for long rides with lots of climbing. This is my most boring bicycle because - having bought exactly what I want - there is not much to change (However, it does now have a different seat, and a couple of weeks ago I increased the tire size to 28c....this bike was built to handle up to 32c tires with fenders if I ever decide to go that way).

1988 Tommasini. Rescued from Craiglist and restored over the last year.

1983-ish? Univega Gran Turismo. Another Craigslist find, now my daily commuter.

1988 Specialized Stumpjumper. Bought this two weeks ago, again on Craigslist. It has already changed quite a bit, as I'm turning this into a foul-weather commuter. It now has new Marathon tires, fenders, a Blackburn rear rack, old B17 saddle and (as of tonight) new Nashbar trekking bars. It gets its first serious ride tomorrow, when I am going to use it for my regular commute. It already looks a lot different from this pic, but the paint job is still pretty hideous.

Old 10-01-08, 03:29 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 517 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
That white 1978 Paramount is freakin' gorgeous!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-01-08, 04:19 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not being one to parade my good fortune in front of others, I'll forgo posting pics of my entire fleet. I will however post my "flagship". I won't even require you to "click to enlarge", as I will post it in it's entire glory. Not to beat my own drum, but I have paid a rather LARGE sum of money for the frame and components. Due to security, I'll only post this full size pic once. Enjoy!

Old 10-02-08, 04:53 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

my waterford 1999
now has 10 speed D/A and a D/A crank replaced the bontrager
Old 10-02-08, 04:59 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://

CDA serotta,now has mavic Sc,Sl wheelset
Old 10-02-08, 06:46 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my S/S used during the winter.
Razesa SLX Columbus 1980

https://
Old 10-02-08, 06:53 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
There are some great looking rides in this thread, but I'm gonna have to pass on posting mine. My wife has no idea how many bikes I actually have, and if I post them all.... Well, I don't think she'll be real happy.
Old 10-02-08, 12:06 PM
dawes56

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are mine (minus my mtb that I just gave away to my daughter).

56 Dawes (with 70s era components)

2006 Kona Dew Deluxe (Brooks B17, Shimano M324 pedals, and Velo Orange Milan handlebar)

Rest assured my next bike will be blue. (unless it is black)

Pete
Old 10-02-08, 12:16 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggler2 View Post
Not being one to parade my good fortune in front of others, I'll forgo posting pics of my entire fleet. I will however post my "flagship".
Love the nitrous oxide water bottle....I should try that!
Old 10-02-08, 03:53 PM
Cyclist0094 
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are three of mine;

Old 10-02-08, 04:47 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[SIZE="3"] Here's my fleet minus a 1973 Railegh Supercourse I'm working on[/SIZE].

[IMG][/IMG]

My main ride.

[IMG][/IMG]

My backup bike.

[IMG][/IMG]

My SS, found the old 10 speed bike in a dumpster, stripped it, buffed the wheels, and painted it and added the other bits.
Old 10-04-08, 01:18 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
1974 Peugeot PX10

1974 Peugeot PA10

1959 Carlton

1988 Bridgestone MB-2

1982 Fuji Espree mixte

1973 Gitane Tour de France

The Raleigh Competition needs a lot of work

Last edited by Grand Bois; 10-04-08 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-04-08, 03:24 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just a few of my bikes

Last edited by stringbreaker; 10-04-08 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 08:07 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
resurrecting an old thread
Old 11-30-09, 08:24 PM
kdarejr

Bikes: Airborne/Haro/Jamis/ HD Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my favorite ! it was purchased on E bay for 205 shipped

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright ゥ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.