Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

$3000'ish Shimano Electronic Group Set

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

$3000'ish Shimano Electronic Group Set

Old 10-01-08, 01:53 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's great. Obviously the initial price is very high, but the technology will trickle down to lower priced groups, the engineering and manufacturing will reach scale, and prices will drop.

It reminds me of the manual gearboxes on some autos now that have automated shifting (Like BMW's SMG or Audi's DSG). They are *manual* transmissions with computer-controlled shifting. More control than an automatic, much smoother and much faster shifting than anyone except pro drivers.

Sign me up for one on my 60th birthday (8 years away), when the price will be down to the level where it will be reasonable...
Old 10-01-08, 04:47 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post

It reminds me of the manual gearboxes on some autos now that have automated shifting (Like BMW's SMG or Audi's DSG). They are *manual* transmissions with computer-controlled shifting. More control than an automatic, much smoother and much faster shifting than anyone except pro drivers.
I love those dual-clutch trannies. I want one on my next car. Been drooling over them for 2-3 years now. Auto shifting with no slush box and with full manual control. Not like those pseudo manual auto sticks found on many new cars.

I think it was Car & Driver where their drivers all tried to beat the 0-60 and quarter-mile times racked up by an Audi DSG in auto mode. All of them failed. They couldn't believe it.

It will be interesting to see how long this new tech takes to trickle down to more moderately priced bikes. I suspect it will take many years before we see it on a $2000 bike.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-01-08, 04:57 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I love those dual-clutch trannies. I want one on my next car. Been drooling over them for 2-3 years now. Auto shifting with no slush box and with full manual control. Not like those pseudo manual auto sticks found on many new cars.
I have an SMG. I like it in manual mode - you still get to control the shift, but you don't have a clutch, so it's the smoothest shifting you've ever done (or, at least, the smoothing shifting *I've* ever done). That's what I imagine electronic shifting on a bike would be like -- still "manual," but it shifts perfectly every time.
Old 10-01-08, 05:24 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm open minded. Having hand prop'd an airplane and kicked started motorcycles, aforementioned TV remote, digital watch; I don't object to electronic solutions. My truck has wind up windows and manual transmission but the 4 wheel drive engages electronically.

Remember the mechanical odometer? Love digital data but grump when changing the battery on my odometer (where is the solar cell display?) so I guess I'm 10+ years from digital shifters.
Old 10-01-08, 05:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Aint it great to be a retro grouch? Cheaper too.

I'm the kind of guy who bought a brand new pair of 9-speed Ultegra brifters to keep as spares because I have 2 bikes so equipped, I've no interest in converting to 10-speed, and I don't trust Shimano to have similar quality replacements available when the originals shoot craps.
Old 10-01-08, 06:19 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Aint it great to be a retro grouch? Cheaper too.

I'm the kind of guy who bought a brand new pair of 9-speed Ultegra brifters to keep as spares because I have 2 bikes so equipped, I've no interest in converting to 10-speed, and I don't trust Shimano to have similar quality replacements available when the originals shoot craps.
My solution in that situation with my Lemond, will be to convert to either down tube or bar end friction shifting.
Old 10-01-08, 08:12 PM
Bikewer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NPR's The World had a segment on the other day about the yacht show in Monaco. Seems there's plenty of billionaires around willing to drop 2-300 million on a 3-to-500 foot yacht. Hot accessories this year are heated indoor swimming pools, (you wouldn't want to just jump in the ocean....So yesterday) gold and platinum plated bathroom fixtures, multiple helicopter landing pads, and accessory submarines.
The subs are equipped almost as nicely as the yacht...

So, the oil sheik with a few extra bucks to burn could order up a Lightspeed or Merlin frame with this electronic gruppo for a few laps around the upper deck.....