Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I'm a doper! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/471900-im-doper.html)

BluesDawg 09-30-08 08:05 PM

I'm a doper!

At the end of my chemo session today, I was given a shot of Procrit (EPO) to boost my red cell count.
There goes my racing career! :notamused: :rolleyes:

Check the mylifeline link below to see how this may come in handy. :)

Tom Bombadil 09-30-08 08:11 PM

And by association, all of the rest of us are also tarnished.

Bud Bent 09-30-08 08:12 PM

Wow, good luck with your birthday ride, BD! I was so sick from chemo on my birthday in April, I didn't even attend the picnic with cycling friends that I was supposed to, much less manage a ride.

BCRider 09-30-08 08:19 PM

Did it make you see pink elephants or want to chew up rail bed cross ties with your naked teeth?

All the best on the outcome with the chemo. Had my own scare a few years back but it was early stages and they cut it out all in one go. Sure changes your attitude about what's important....

Hey, want to compare operation scars? Most linear inches wins. I've got a total of 19 1/2 inches.

BluesDawg 09-30-08 08:26 PM

I'm hoping to avoid scars altogether, but it is possible that there could be some "cleanup" surgery after the radiation is done. I won't know until then.

My main chemo phase is over. I couldn't have thought of doing this ride during that ordeal. Now I just take a bit of Carboplatin once a week to help enhance the radiation therapy which I'm now into my 3rd week of daily treatments (7-1/2 weeks total planned).

Louis 09-30-08 08:27 PM

I've said it before, BD, you are as tough as they come.

Good luck on that birthday ride.:thumb:

Beverly 09-30-08 08:39 PM

Happy "early" Birthday and good luck with the ride:)

stevesurf 09-30-08 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 7579374)
At the end of my chemo session today, I was given a shot of Procrit (EPO) to boost my red cell count.
There goes my racing career! :notamused: :rolleyes:

Check the mylifeline link below to see how this may come in handy. :)

Best of luck with the chemo and have a Happy and Healthy Birthday!

big john 09-30-08 08:54 PM

Have a great birthday ride, BD. I may have missed it, but how's your job situation going?

JanMM 09-30-08 09:22 PM

Maybe you can find a local chapter of EPO Anonymous.
Did the Procrit make you want to go ride up Brasstown Bald a couple of times?

Red Rider 09-30-08 09:30 PM

That's great news, BD. Happy birthday and happy riding!

SaiKaiTai 09-30-08 11:38 PM

I have been following your Lifeline site from the start and you are an inspiration.
Go do 53 1/2... I believe you can. Happy Birthday!

Kurt Erlenbach 10-01-08 08:30 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: EPO is magic juice. There is nothing that can turn your day around like a shot of Procrit or Aranesp. Except for those pesky heart attacks, I fully understand EPO use by pro cyclists.

Kurt Erlenbach 10-01-08 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by BCRider (Post 7579504)
Hey, want to compare operation scars? Most linear inches wins. I've got a total of 19 1/2 inches.

I've not measured mine, but I'll bet I'm about there. About eight inches for the lower abdominal resection, easily 14 for a liver resection, three for an ileostomy, and one each for putting in and taking out a chemo port, one on the left and one on the right. Girls mistake me for Rambo on the beach.

maddmaxx 10-01-08 08:49 AM

I feel like a piker with a mere 1". Unfortunately it was right in the middle of my face as part of what might be called a lip resection. Fortunately, I'm no uglier than I was before.

Hang in there BD, and happy birthday.

JanMM 10-01-08 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 7582228)
I've said it before and I'll say it again: EPO is magic juice. There is nothing that can turn your day around like a shot of Procrit or Aranesp. Except for those pesky heart attacks, I fully understand EPO use by pro cyclists.

EPO is probably a lot safer than the blood transfusions (using other people's blood) that were done by the USA team at the 1984 Olympics.

bobby c 10-01-08 02:40 PM

You go Blues Dawg. I love your Life Line, the pictures are great!

dogbreathpnw 10-01-08 02:48 PM

I too joined the ranks...

...but it was for a completely different reason.

It's a hard thing to think that I'm going to be on this stuff for the rest of my life, but the health benefits have been fantastic. Take care, I hope you end up doing well.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/photos/ster...g_ml_thumb.jpg

geofitz13 10-01-08 06:28 PM

I KNEW it!! Your plans for the 53 miler next Thursday...your just getting ready!!
Seriously, hang in there dawg...I keep following your updates. Love the lifeline.
Happy birthday, and enjoy the ride. Also enjoy surprising the doctors!

DanoC 10-01-08 08:04 PM

BluesDawg, Happy Birthday have a great ride. Will there be 52 other riders with ya?
I knew ou were a doper 1st time we rode together.
Dan the beer man

Mojo Slim 10-02-08 12:02 AM

Happy B'day. I think we should all get some of dem drugs. Ride on!

BluesDawg 10-02-08 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DanoC (Post 7587084)
BluesDawg, Happy Birthday have a great ride. Will there be 52 other riders with ya?
I knew ou were a doper 1st time we rode together.
Dan the beer man

If you come down and join us we'll be one closer to that number.