Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ottawa, Canada bike trip

Old 10-01-08, 04:44 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ottawa, Canada bike trip

My friend Wayne and I have toured together 6 times over the past 6 years. These trips include the Great Allegheny Passage in Pennsylvania, the C&O Canal in Maryland, le P'tit Train du Nord in Quebec, and the Austrian Alps. I have previously posted photos of some of those trips.

Last week we decided to do something different. Wayne lives in Ottawa so I stayed with him and his wife for 4 days last week. We did four day trips, two around Ottawa and two in The Gatineau, which is just across the river in Quebec. The weather was wonderful with sunshine every day and the trees beginning to turn with autumn colours.

Ottawa is a great city for cycling with bike paths along the Ottawa and Rideau Rivers, along the Rideau Canal, and many other locations. Here are a few photos:

along the Ottawa River on the edge of the city

along a rail trail in The Gatineau

crossing a creek along the rail trail

further along the rail trail

a swamp along the rail trail

farm field adjacent to the rail trail

along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa

looking across the Ottawa River to the Parliament Buildings. There are bike paths on both sides of the river here.

Unfortunately it clouded over for the last photo, but we had brilliant sunshine until then.
Old 10-01-08, 06:28 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the great pictures. That sounds like my kind of touring. Going out every day from a nice base.
Old 10-01-08, 06:44 PM
vtc12ip
Harry helps.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wonderful town. My wife and I stay at the Sheraton just across the street from where you took the last picture. Did you get to the Elgin Street Diner???
Old 10-01-08, 08:44 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great pictures, Ken.

The falls colors are fabulous. The trees are just beginning to turn around here and should be at their best in a couple weeks. It's one of my favorite times of year to ride.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-01-08, 11:59 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Great shots. I'm glad you were taking your time enough to snap them.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 10-02-08, 06:02 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
vtc12ip, I have not been to the Elgin Street diner, but enjoyed the beer and Fish & Chips at the Windmill Pub.

Mojo, some of those shots took no time at all. My latest camera is so compact that I keep it in my jersey pouch and have learned that I can pull it out and take photos while riding. My friend has the same camera and took this photo looking back:

I was wearing my Gerolsteiner jersey and a German tourist asked if I am on their cycling team. I hope he was joking because I am a little old. He drinks their bottled water back home and was surprised to see the jersey in Canada. Took our picture to show people back home.
Old 10-02-08, 06:36 PM
vtc12ip
Harry helps.

Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
vtc12ip, I have not been to the Elgin Street diner, but enjoyed the beer and Fish & Chips at the Windmill Pub.

Mojo, some of those shots took no time at all. My latest camera is so compact that I keep it in my jersey pouch and have learned that I can pull it out and take photos while riding. My friend has the same camera and took this photo looking back:

I was wearing my Gerolsteiner jersey and a German tourist asked if I am on their cycling team. I hope he was joking because I am a little old. He drinks their bottled water back home and was surprised to see the jersey in Canada. Took our picture to show people back home.

Great place for breakfast.