Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

beta blockers

Old 10-01-08, 06:12 PM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beta blockers

I know, do a search; however, I haven't figured that out yet.

Dear ol Mom let me inherit BP problems. Already taking Altace and Norvasc then 3 wks ago Dr. put me on Bystolic.

I don't have enough energy to tie my shoes, much less ride! Any suggestions on how to get off the beta blockers?

ps: the sexual side effects are brutal
Old 10-01-08, 06:50 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 10131 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sloth in a can will never let you do anything that you even think you don't want to do. Establish a schedual and ride it no matter what. You can only beat the beta blockers with determination.

My determination faded this year after several years of atenalol. Trying something different now, diovan. Fortunately I have a doctor who thinks the benefits of riding the bike and keeping weight off are worth experimenting with different forms of BP medecine.

Talk to your doctor and try to explain how important the bike is to your and your health.
Old 10-01-08, 06:58 PM
Bluetail
2 soon old, 2 late smart

Bikes: Waterford ST-22, Bianchi Strada

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best to consult the doc who prescribed your beta blockers for a taper schedule; i learned the hard way that you simply cannot 'take yourself off'--in my case Inderal--without doing so gradually. Good luck!
Old 10-01-08, 07:11 PM
billbunton 

Bikes: '09 Specialized Roubaix Pro SRAM, '11 BMC RM-01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check with the doc, like maddmaxx said explain how important the bike is. You may never be able to get off beta blockers, but it's very possible there are other beta blockers that will be as effective without the side effects.

I was on Toprol XL for a few years (along with Cozaar). As my conditioning improved and weight dropped, I got to the point where my BP was too low, plus the Toprol made it _really_ hard to get my HR up. I got the doc to take me off the Toprol; he had me do half a tablet a day for a week as a taper. There was still a very noticeable bump in BP and HR about a week after the last half tablet. I'm still on the Cozaar, hopefully I'll get off it too (I've still got about 20 pounds to drop), but if not at least I don't notice any side effects with it.
Old 10-01-08, 07:32 PM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you that any beta blocker is bad news when you're a cyclist or exerciser of any kind. It's like putting a governor on an engine, because it deliberately slows the heart function that you need most. t's the opposite of a performance enhancement drug. There's just no way around it, and no amount of positive thinking and willpower will overcome it.

Unfortunately, some people do need a beta blocker for other reasons in addition to high blood pressure itself. Looking at your meds, you might want to ask your doctor why you can't be on a simple hydrochlorothiazide diuretic. This is probably the single drug which is most proven to be effective in limiting or preventing the long term consequences of high blood pressure. It may be hard to believe, but all the other drugs are only proven to reduce blood pressure (and not that much, really). They have not been proven to actually reduce the complications of high blood pressure. Almost everybody should be on at least a small dose of diuretic, unless there is some compelling medical reason to avoid it. They are particularly effective at lowering blood pressure when used in combination with either of the other drugs you're on.

Have you tried other methods to reduce high blood pressure. Proven methods like the clinically-trialed DASH-low sodium diet can be very helpful, even if only to reduce the dosage or number of BP meds you have to take. Ask your doctor about it.

I don't want to sound like a medical know-it-all, but as a long-time cyclist with a renal failure problem (genetic reasons, not poor lifestyle), if there's anything at all I have extensive experience with, it's blood pressure medication. I don't think there's a single type that I haven't been on at one time or another.

My personal opinion is that if a med is so troublesome that it severely limits your exercise ability, it may not be worth taking for blood pressure itself given what we know about the benefits of exercise. Whatever you do, don't stop taking a beta blocker suddenly. You can land in the ER like that, or worse.

Incidentally, a diuretic costs only pennies a day. If all doctors followed the evidence, it would put a serious dent in pharmaceutical company profits.

Last edited by Longfemur; 10-01-08 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 09:35 PM
wmodavis
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone helped you with the Beta Blocker question but no one helped with the other part you asked about (almost) which will also help reduce your blood pressure - using the search function.

Reduce your blood pressure this way without medication of any kind:
1) click on the SEARCH THE FORUMS button near the top of this page. (BP down 5 pts)
2) In the box labeled SEARCH BY KEYWORD enter what topic you want to search for by typing the word or words in the field called KEYWORD(S): (BP down 8 pts - this seems so easy)
3) press the enter key on your keyboard and sit back and relax. (BP down 10 pts - this is easier than I thought and sooo relaxing.)
4) Calmly, and at your own pace, read the 123 hits that will provide many of the answers you are seeking. You will be so pleased that your BP will drop another 10 pts or so.

Now isn't that better than popping a pill from big pharma?
Old 10-02-08, 10:48 AM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks f/the replies.
Perhaps a little history
I'm 6'2" 184 lbs.
Body fat 14-16% so I don't have a lot or weight to lose.
I will be 62 this month.
Dr. started me on altace, then added norvasc and 3 wks ago added the bystolic (the beta blocker.)

One suggestion someone had is a diuretic. Has anyone tried these? Do they create a hydration problem?
Old 10-02-08, 11:03 AM
LarryMelman

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 20 years younger than you, my diet and exercise are as good as they will probably ever be, and I'm 3 years into my search for a drug or combination of drugs to control my bp. Ace inhibitors and ARB's (Diovan) worked well but they made me cough. Norvasc (Ca blocker) was ineffective. A diuretic was ineffective. A beta blocker (Toprol) worked OK for a while and I trained for a marathon while using it. But after about a year it became completely worthless. I am now on a combination of two drugs that sort of work, but not consistently.

I caution you against reading _anything_ into other people's experience or advice. Drugs that work well for others, even blood relatives, don't work for me.
Old 10-02-08, 11:04 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 10131 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Google "high blood pressure medications". There are several good articles about the different classes of med's, how they work, what possible side effects they have etc. Then you can have a more informed talk with your dr. You are right, some cause hydration problems, some cause asthama like symptoms, some as you have found out steal energy. All are a tradeoff between good and bad.
Old 10-02-08, 12:13 PM
dawes56

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take Atenolol, Amlodipine, and lisinopril for bp, plus Aggrenox and pravastatin. I was taking a diuretic (HCTZ) but stopped it about a month ago (have to stay out of the sun with that stuff...and I don't ride at nite.

Although I thought my fatigue was due to the Atenolol, it really was from Lipitor (also made my leg muscles hurt). I seem to be fine now...not spending (or wanting to) the day sleeping. The Atenolol does limit my HR...so I am fairly slow..but moving a little faster every day.

Didn't get on these meds til after a stroke....so don't want another one!

Pete
Old 10-02-08, 12:40 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been told that the FIRST line of defense against HBP is HCTZ or hydrochlorothiazide, of which I take 12.5 mg daily, in addition to 80 mg of Diovan.

The doc said that HCTZ should generally be tried first. It has some side effects, one of which may be gynecomastia, which I developed for a period of time, and which is exacerbated by fat cells.

YMMV and be sure to discuss with the doc.

Ask him why he hasn't tried HCTZ? There must be a good reason. BTW, I get 200 25 mg tabs (400 days worth) at a time for about $18.00.
Old 10-02-08, 01:02 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went on beta blockers after the bypass and they were a killer for any physical exercise.

I know I was used to a Heart monitor- but previous to the BB's- I could get my HR up to 165 and I treated that as my limit. Normal riding and I was about 145. First couple of rides on the BB's and it was a struggle to get the HR up to 130. At that- it felt as though I was at 165. No energy- lungs bursting and tired legs. So I rode at 120. Kept that up for a month or so and although the HR was well down- I was keeping some fitness and at least I was riding. AT 3 months- I entered a ride. a 40 miler and I changed my medication taking somewhat. I took the BB the night before instead of the morning. And then sfter the ride- I took another BB. Initially not a great deal of change but talked to the quack and he could not understand why I wanted to get my HR up to a respectable level. "Why would anyone want to excert themselves that much"? Explained about cycling and he could not understand why, but agreed that providing I kept an eye on the HR and did not go to the extreme- taking the BB the night before would not cause a problem.

On the ride- it was only a 40 miler but if I knew how hard it was going to be- I would have trained for it. Couple of Long drags and 2 memorable short slopes at 25%. Took it steady and low gears and HR did not get above 140 and I felt comfortable. Then there was a hill. 1 mile at 10% and at the top was one of the rest stations and I knew the Ambulance was there. On top of that- I had been taking a lot of lip about OLD blokes not being able to ride properly from a know it all on a Full suspension mountain bike. Decided to show him that a hardtail was better than his Pogo-Stick and left him for dead. Got the HR up to 165 and other than being Knackered- I was fine. Got to the ambulance and recovered by the side of it with a cup of Tea. Took a long time for the HR to get down to something sensible but eventually it did.

That change of routine of taking the BB in the evening instead of the morning worked for me but also found that this still had an effect on the riding. Talked to the quack again and agreed that I should come off them. Took a year before I was off but haven't looked back. Recently I have had to go back on them for a raised BP but only a low dose and still taken in the evening. This time the riding has not been effected too much except that the hills are taking longer to climb.

Only a suggestion- but get a cheap HRM. Might not improve the riding but it did give me a way of keeping track of any changes I was making.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-02-08, 02:38 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consult your Doc about getting off them. Be aware that YOU MUST BE FIRM, or they just note it in the file and do nothing. I complained for two years about excessive sweating on monopril. Once it started, it just wouldn't stop. I went around with sweat dripping off my hair. One day I was doing my sweat thing and I had an appointment. One look at me and he pulled out my meds list. Bingo, he put me on norvasc. Problem solved.

The point; they just don't hear you unless you are very firm, or can demonstrate the problem. bk
Old 10-28-08, 04:51 PM
wmodavis
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More input on Beta Blockers/Atenolol

"Pearls for Practice
  • Heart rate lowering with beta-blockers in patients with hypertension is associated with a greater risk for cardiovascular and all-cause mortality.
  • Heart rate lowering with beta-blockers is associated with an increased risk for heart failure, nonfatal MI, and stroke, with a linear inverse relationship."
Read/print the full article "Reducing Heart Rate in Hypertension Is Harmful -- or Is It Just Atenolol?" and take it to your doctor.
Old 10-28-08, 05:11 PM
dguest

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am taking Lisinopril/HCTZ for High BP. I can honestly say that my high BP was self induced. It was not intentional but it was my fault. Back when I was the commander of the Special Response team AKA (SWAT) it was normal for the entire team to take 3 stackers Ephedra 3 times a day during our work outs and training, This overdose of epinephrin caused the high BP then after I left the department and took a job in investigations I sat behind a desk and did not work out anymore. Needless to say I gained 45 pounds and my BP went to hell. The Dr tried to get me to loose the weight and not take meds but of course I was stuborn and would not diet or exercise, hence the meds. Now since I have started riding I have lost 30 pounds in 6 months and my last BP was 92/56. The Dr said that if my BP remains that low until my next exam he is going to take me off the meds. That will be great prior to riding and while on the meds the best my BP was 180/104. I just hope the weight loss and riding is what has controled my BP.