Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Imagine going blind while riding!!

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-01-08, 09:23 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

So we have our last Time Trial for the season tonight. It is the first pretty cool night of the Fall. I don't wear any type of glasses as it's only 10 miles and 20+ minutes....plus it is dark and hard to see my Garmin.

The eyes are watering. A teardrop jumps off my eye onto my cheek at about the 3rd mile of the 10 mile event. All of a sudden everything is blurry and I can't see!!

Wait.....it was my contact lens (I wear the hard lens).

So I'm in the aero position on my TT bike with my heartrate at 90% of max. My arms are on the pads and hands on the barends grinding away at 25+ mph. I can't afford to stop......I need to do a good TT in order to finish ahead of a close competitor for the entire series.

I wonder if that drop on my cheek is my contact and if it is still there?? I gently move my hands up to my cheek while still trying to keep my cadence up. Sure enough there is my contact--stuck to my cheek under my eye!! I can't believe it didn't sail off onto the pavement.

I ever so carefully grab the lens.......now what do I do with it. I'm in my skin suit with no pockets. I don't want to sit up to try and put it anywhere-even under the gripper on my pants leg. So I stick it in my mouth behind my lip. I try to hold it there with my tongue.......with my HR still at 90% of Max-----and trying to constantly get in as much air as I can, cruising at 25+ mph. With my tongue in that position it's much harder to breathe. Plus my nose is pretty well stopped up from the cool night so no help there.

Now I can't breathe AND I can't see. I was determined to finish the darn event.....and hopefully not suck the contact down my windpipe. With my tongue pushing out my lower lip I had to look like I had a good pinch of snuff in there.

Well, I finished the TT......but have to think I lost some time due to the distraction, fiddling with stuff, etc.

I put the lens back in my eye after the TT. A little later I realize the lens is not in my eye. Apparently I never really got it in my eye but I don't recall feeling it flip back out.......when I get home I get out the flashlight and see a shiny speck on the carpet in my car. Unbelievably there it is. It's nice to be a little lucky.
Old 10-02-08, 04:19 AM
Raven87
I'm just sayin'...

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Cannondale Quick 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you finished - how did you do?

Interesting reading for sure!
Old 10-02-08, 04:31 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 10118 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good job jppe. Didn't E.E. "Doc" Smith write some books about you?
Old 10-02-08, 06:05 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you bought a lottery ticket that day.
Old 10-02-08, 07:04 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
Hope you bought a lottery ticket that day.
+1
Old 10-02-08, 07:25 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JPPE, do they make "croakies" for contacts ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
croakie_turq.jpg (2.3 KB, 1 views)