Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

91 trek 520 Should I

Old 10-01-08, 10:21 PM
shooters_desire

Bikes: Hybrid but looking for a tour bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
91 trek 520 Should I

o k i am on the verge i buying a trek 520 from matthews in indy. This is one nice bike and its in real good shape. BUT i also have the opertunity to trade my bike for a GT legato 1.0 road bike 2006'. Now whats the better choice? I will be seeing this bike friday. If i like it i then have to choose between the 2. The only thing i dislike about the legato is it has a straight bar. BOOOOOOOOOOOO...
Tom i need your imput Thanks David
Old 10-02-08, 11:34 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just a thought but a 2006 GT would not be from the company that established the good reputaion of GT.

But that is subject to a test ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-02-08, 01:01 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Don't ask Tom. All he knows about bikes with drop bars is that he doesn't like them.

Two very different bikes. I'd be inclined to go for the 520, but only you will know which one you like better.
Old 10-02-08, 02:04 PM
alcanoe

My wife has had a Trek 520 for years. It's a nice tourer, but way too heavy for general fun riding, so we're going to replace it. Putting on a decent set of light wheels and going to 25 mm tires helped a lot.

Al
Old 10-02-08, 03:37 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have two 520s and sold a third to a very happy buyer right here on BF.

My 88 520, which i'm not using right now, is a great bike. Air it up and it's ready to go. It would be spec'd the same as the bike you are considering.

Cons are that it's an old bike. Things wear out. Also technology has advanced in small ways, the downtube shifters, for example. The bike is heavier than your average road bike.

Pro would start with the fact that with its long wheel base its a very comfortable ride. Easy handling and it's rugged. You can't kill the frame. Like any high quality bike, it's very upgradable.

The 520 is a very good all around bike. Use it for fitness, or to ride centurys. Throw some bags on it and ride it across the country, or use it as a charity ride bike. Put 35s on it with some fenders and you've got a pretty sweet commuter ride. The 520 can do it all and do it all well.

Still, as much as i love my 520s(the 88 and an 04) doesn't mean it's the right bike for you. Ride it and if you like it then buy it.
Old 10-02-08, 05:38 PM
shooters_desire

I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am
Warf!
Old 10-06-08, 07:28 PM
shooters_desire

ok its final... I got a trek 1000. I have allready started to revamp it. I purchased a handlebar from nashbar. Its the last one under road handlebars. Mine is only 40 cm. To small. I love engineering things. Oh by the way tonight i sold my gt legato 4.0. So i made out with the purchase of the trek 1000. David