Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Darkside bike

Old 10-04-08, 03:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Darkside bike

I've made a couple of posts recently talking about my lack of interest in acquiring another bike and my indifference toward riding my fixed gear.

For some time I've had my eye open for a 40 hole Sturmey Archer IG hub. A fellow on the vintage forum said that he might have one. He won't know until around October 18th when he gets home to check his stash. That's close to my birthday so I'm taking that as a sign from the heavens.

Suddenly I'm thinking about mustache handlebars, cable routing and acquiring a rear brake. I even think that I've got the right spokes down in my workshop. It certainly won't be white, this is a dark side bike so it'll stay satan black. I may even buy a black seatpost and paint the stem black. As I sit here the bidget for the project is under $50.00. A new Brooks B17, which you just about need to have on a SA 3-speed, will boost the cost to a bit over $100.00.

A while back somebody posted about a weekend ride in Minnesota or Wisconsin for English 3-speed bikes. There's a possibility I might be making that ride next year. How about it Bombadil?

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 10-04-08 at 04:44 PM.