Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I made it

Old 10-04-08, 07:16 PM
VROD

Bikes: lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made it

At the end of my regular 15mi ride there is a hill that I thought was 2mi down then 2mi up turns out is 1/2 mile slight uphill then 1mi down then 1 1/2 miles up. I have been turning around and going back today I took the plunge.On the 1mi down I had to use the brake to slow down.The 1 1/2 miles up was not to bad then I turned around and came back.On the brakes down then the 1mi up it is a little steeper. I was out of the saddle for most of the climb and my legs were on fire at the top but I made it.Then I cruised the
8mi home.LIFE IS GOOD
Old 10-04-08, 07:22 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know the feeling! It's a great satisfaction to make it to the top of a difficult climb.
Old 10-04-08, 08:04 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations

I'll never "love" hills but it does feel good to be able to climb ones I avoided a couple years ago.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-05-08, 07:24 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
Congratulations

I'll never "love" hills but it does feel good to be able to climb ones I avoided a couple years ago.
That first climb up a hill will never be forgotten. It will make you realise that at long last the bike is not to be feared- the legs are stronger than they were a few months ago and you have reached your first achievement level.

Either that or you wish you had bought a house on the Flatlands and wonder whether it is going to be worth moving.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-05-08, 08:13 AM
Longfemur

You should try to stay seated on climbs as much as you can. It's a lot more tiring to stand the whole climb. Try to use the lowest gears you need to keep spinning as much as possible while staying seated. Keep shifting down as it gets harder. Stand when you need to, like just to get over the top when you start running out of gas before you get there, or if there are any humps to get over on the climb itself. The brownie points are for getting there, not how fast you did it necessarily.

While you're going up, try to maximize your leg extension by sliding back on the saddle a bit, and whatever type of handlebar you have, your goal is to make breathing as easy as possible when climbing, not to maximize aerodynamics. So, sit up, not down.

It is pretty satisfying to get up there though, isn't' it?

Last edited by Longfemur; 10-05-08 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-05-08, 08:33 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Way to go, keep conquering those boogie men.

I agree with Longfemur that it is best to stay seated as much as possible on a long climb. When you start to lose momentum in your lowest gear, try shifting up a cog or two and stand just long enough to increase your speed a bit. Then sit down and shift down and try to keep the cranks spinning. Think circles.
Old 10-05-08, 08:50 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
As you go up, repeat to yourself: "Hills are my friends, hills are my friends........"
Old 10-05-08, 02:04 PM
VROD

Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

I agree with Longfemur that it is best to stay seated as much as possible on a long climb. When you start to lose momentum in your lowest gear, try shifting up a cog or two and stand just long enough to increase your speed a bit. Then sit down and shift down and try to keep the cranks spinning. Think circles.
yes I agree with you and longfemur and that is what I would have done except I was riding my fixed gear the geared bike would have been to easy lol
Old 10-05-08, 02:21 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You should have noted the use of your fixed gear bike in the first post!

Definitely a more notable achievement.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-05-08, 04:02 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Congratulations on your first long climb with a fixed gear bike! I rode my fixed gear today but it was a recovery ride with only one slight climb. One day I'll get the courage to attack a long steep climb on my fixed gear . . . but it hasn't happened yet!

Re: Sitting and standing, I agree that sitting while climbing is better, and usually faster, but standing (esp. with the fixed gear) is a good option to have as well!

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-05-08, 06:34 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Originally Posted by VROD View Post
yes I agree with you and longfemur and that is what I would have done except I was riding my fixed gear the geared bike would have been to easy lol
Funny thing is I almost added to my post that none of this would apply on a fixie or single speed.
Old 10-05-08, 08:07 PM
VROD

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
You should have noted the use of your fixed gear bike in the first post!

Definitely a more notable achievement.
Since I got my fixed gear I seldom ride my geared bikes unless the weather is bad then I ride my mountain bike so I didn't think about it.
Old 10-06-08, 04:41 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

I like that advice and found it to be true , spinning that is, I now know how to keep that going by standing in a higer gear for a bit to get speed up. I am learning a lot here , thanks!
Old 10-07-08, 09:20 PM
VROD

Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
As you go up, repeat to yourself: "Hills are my friends, hills are my friends........"
when I read this I thought about when I was about 25 I had a friend I rode with regular he was 6 ft 8 in tall and around 230 lbs he was killer on flat but could not climb well.I am 5ft 10in and 148 about the same as I weigh now.One sunday we rode about 100mi I sprinted every hill and would say I love hills and would sprint up the hill and drop him.When we got to the last hill I was completely worn out from playing with him all day and he dropped me. When I caught back up to him he was still out of breath he looked a me and said I still hate those damn hills.I still see him from time to time and he still talks about when he beat me up that hill.I don't love hills as much but I don't hate them yet