Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Report: Seagull Century

Old 10-05-08, 06:39 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Report: Seagull Century

Friday I took the afternoon off and got on the road for Salisbury MD about 1:30PM. I got stuck in two bad traffic jams along the way but got to the Hotel at around 9:30PM. Started the ride 7:30 AM, chilly but good weather. Wore arm warmers and a skull cap under the helmet. I wasn't planning a fast ride as I was going to ride with friends. Took off the warmers and cap at the the third rest stop as the temps were in the upper 60's.

I got to the first rest stop (mile 22) with an 18.5mph average and I fet like I wasn't even working hard. After a good feed I was off again. After another 3 miles and getting passed by a lot of pace lines I noticed a well organized line passing me and as they passed I slammed on the gas and caught the end of it - rode at 26mph for the next 18 miles. As we got up to the second rest stop (mile 42) I was one rotation away from my turn to pull, I decided to stop and they went on - my average was over 20 at this point. I stretched out and took off again. I never found another pace line that worked as well as that one - the pace was constant and no one pulled for more than about 5 minutes before they rotated to the back. I also didn't ride at that pace again.

A few miles past the second rest stop the course turned east into a brisk shore breeze and my speed dropped to between 17 and 18 and I was riding alone. The third rest stop (mile 63) was at the beach on Assateague Island, after another good feed - off again. The ride headed back to the west and with the wind at my back I got another pace line and rode to the last rest stop (mile 83) where there was PIE and ICE CREAM!

After the first rest stop I had pulled far away from the friends I was supposed to be riding with but I was having too much fun. I had decided to wait at the pie stop for my friends and take the last 17 miles slow since at this point with my average down to 19 I knew I was not going to get it back up to 20mph. I waited about 20 minutes and felt myself starting to sieze up so I headed off again. Caught a moderate pace line and rode with it to the finish. Kept my 19MPH average. Waited for my friends to come in and cheered them as they rode through the mister.

Some info on this ride - if you want an easy century to ride - this is the one, there are only two hills and both of these are over bridges, where I ride these wouldn't even be classified as a hill. The ride is flat followed by flat with occasional stretches of flat. Lots of pretty country side - lots of chicken farms. People sat out in thier fron yards watching the riders go by. The police blocked traffic at major intersections. The route is well marked. It's easy to find a group to ride with. At the end of the ride I felt confident that if I had planned for it and started out with a goal of a 5hr or less century I could have easily accomplished it. I do have that as one of my goals but I was not planning for it this time. I bet a few of our members could do this ride in 4hrs of saddle time, it's that easy of a century and there are lots of very fast pace lines. Maybe I'll try it again next year if I do I will prepare to hit my 5 hour goal.

Great ride, great course - highly recommended.
Old 10-05-08, 07:49 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Did you see any streamliners on the ride? (Recumbents with full bodies?) It seems like a flat course would be ideal for them and I've heard of a few streamliner pilots doing the ride in years past.
Old 10-06-08, 03:19 PM
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Nice report...sounds like a great ride.

I've been following some threads on the Seagull Century. Looks like a lot of fun. This is a ride I will have to consider for next year.
Old 10-06-08, 05:30 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Did you see any streamliners on the ride? (Recumbents with full bodies?) It seems like a flat course would be ideal for them and I've heard of a few streamliner pilots doing the ride in years past.
There were several on this ride, also saw a lot of tandems, they booked on this ride - no climbing.