Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

15 bpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15 bpm

This is why I ride with a Garmin.

This is why I track my rides on the computer.

Between March, when I got the 305 (and, not coincidentally, the Giant) and now, with all my uphills, downhills, flats, false flats, 10 miles or 50, wind or dead, flat calm averaged up, my average HR has dropped by about 15bpm. 15bpm.

Between that and my cardio that I can push harder, 2 minutes beyond what I could do a year ago, what more incentive do I need to just keep on doing this?

Well, I don't need any but I get some any way: it's a hoot.
Old 10-07-08, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have the 305 but not the one for bikes. I use it when I ride or for any form of exercise. It helps to track improvement as you say, but is also fun to review your rides with the GPS system, and to measure your ability to stay within your target zone as you do endurance activities. I find it both fun and helpful.

Highly recommended in "Younger Next Year" as well.
Old 10-09-08, 02:27 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
I had a 205 and now I have a 305 and the bloody HR thingies do not work in spite of Garmin sending a new transmitter. So I use a Polar for HR and the Garmin for the rest. Resting HR 46; max 161 (actual)which is close to 208 - (0.7 X age), the "accepted" best formula for calculating HRmax.
Old 10-09-08, 07:06 PM
train safe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had to re-read your post-- based on the title I thought your heart rate had DROPPED to 15 bpm...

train safe -
Old 10-10-08, 07:18 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Is 208-(0.7x age) really the accepted method of calculation. I use 220 minus my age. This other method yields a max heart rate about 5 beats above what I have been using. Is the suggested method more accurate, and according to who?
Old 10-10-08, 11:22 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
^^^^^^
My HR comes in at about 170 with either formula, but my HRM regularly records a max HR of 185. I discussed with my doc to see if I was overdoing things a bit. His advice (based on my fitness level and lack of risk factors) was to treat 185 as my max HR and calculate HR zones accordingly.

Since then I find that my HR zones match up much more closely with perceived exertion levels. Please note that your doctor's opinion may vary!
Old 10-10-08, 12:08 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Is 208-(0.7x age) really the accepted method of calculation. I use 220 minus my age. This other method yields a max heart rate about 5 beats above what I have been using. Is the suggested method more accurate, and according to who?
Doesn't matter what you use- it will put you in the ball park. 220-my age gives me 159. 208-(0.7x age) gives me 166. A stress test a few years ago gave me 165 as my suggested max as although I did get above that- I fell off the bike at 172.

Then there are those that can get well above their theoretical max- and those that will never reach it.

Spike Milligan