Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The olden days

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The olden days

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
for years, my favorite quote was from Gen. Jorge Santayana.... He who remembers not of history is doomed to repeat it. it implied (for me) the necessity to learn history, in order to apply that which was learned.

somewhere along the way things changed. history seems less important now.

now my favorite quote is by Ernie Sanders.... "Dad, I love you. Need a hug?"

be well,

jim
Old 10-08-08, 06:55 PM
Too old & too big

Bikes: StrongFrames Custome, Specialized Rubaix, Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Sirus Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1973 was a groovy year. I recall having cool tie died bell bottoms ... long side burns ... a 1966 VW fastback (6 volt system) ... and a much smaller gut.
Old 10-09-08, 05:58 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been teaching a land surveying course, boundary law, at a local university this semester. I tell them how we used to have to use a transit and measuring tape to survey. All they have to do now to measure a distance is push a button. I have to admit that if I had to go back to the old way I would find something else to do.
Old 10-09-08, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Commentator Dennis Miller summarizes a sentiment felt by many Xers, “It’s no wonder Xers are angst-ridden and rudderless. They feel American’s greatness has passed. They got to the cocktail party twenty minutes too late, and all that’s left are those little wieners and a half-empty bottle of Zima.”

Generally, those younger than me don't make me feel old. In fact, the more I'm around younger people, the younger I feel.
Old 10-09-08, 08:38 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This one might only apply to Californians: I was on a shuttle bus yesterday, and someone made a comment to the driver about taking us on an "E ticket ride". The driver had no idea what that was. I had to explain to him that Disneyland used to require individual ride tickets, A through E, depending on the ride.

I was talking to my daughter's friend and mentioned my sister used to work at a Licorice Pizza store. She thought it was some sort of fast food.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 10-09-08, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Seems to me Arkansas hit it right, we all have perspectives driven by our life time. Skills and communication skills and styles also differ greatly. I have been working with computers since 1980, but the young guys have a skillset way beyond moine. OTH, I learn to be polite and considerate, which I see little of these days. We all got the good, we all got the bad.
Old 10-09-08, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by jiminos
for years, my favorite quote was from Gen. Jorge Santayana.... He who remembers not of history is doomed to repeat it. it implied (for me) the necessity to learn history, in order to apply that which was learned.

now my favorite quote is by Ernie Sanders.... "Dad, I love you. Need a hug?"

be well,

jim
Back in the 60's, my college History prof liked to give that Santayana quote on the 1st day of classes but he would then contrast it with a quote from Henry Ford: "History is bunk!", then cautioned us the truth was usually somewhere in between the two, but often closer to Ford's insight than Santayana's. Don
Old 10-09-08, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Back in the 60's, my college History prof liked to give that Santayana quote on the 1st day of classes but he would then contrast it with a quote from Henry Ford: "History is bunk!", then cautioned us the truth was usually somewhere in between the two, but often closer to Ford's insight than Santayana's. Don
one must remember when reading/studying history.... all recorded history was written from a biased perspective... usually that of the victor.

be well,

jim
Old 10-10-08, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
When I speak to them of such things as rotary dial phones, black and white tv's, with only a few VHF channels, and two or three UHF channels, slide rules, (you should see their eyes pop when I pull out one of mine), usually, they look at me with total bewilderment, or total boredom. One, (female, 25 years of age) said, "wow, I could never have lived like that". Yeah, it happens.

Some time ago, there was a Dave Berg cartoon in MAD magazine. A school teacher, with a grade school class, asked the students about the great depression of the 1930's. One student stood up and said he knew all about it. When asked to explain, he said "Back then, they didn't have cell phones, or DVD players, or iPods, or computers. That made everyone depressed".
Old 10-10-08, 07:24 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
You're kidding - right?

How many parallels can we draw between Iraq and Viet Nam?
Why do the things that are happening in Afganistan surprise us?
Why didn't our administration think putting the cost of the Iraq war on a credit card would eventually bite us?

Idiots!
Old 10-10-08, 09:36 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
one must remember when reading/studying history.... all recorded history was written from a biased perspective... usually that of the victor.

be well,

jim
Or as an irish proverb puts it.

The victors write the history, the losers write the songs.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-10-08, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
You're kidding - right?

How many parallels can we draw between Iraq and Viet Nam?
Why do the things that are happening in Afganistan surprise us?
Why didn't our administration think putting the cost of the Iraq war on a credit card would eventually bite us?

Idiots!
i'm not kidding in the least. history has lost much of its importance.... FOR ME. i think you missed the point of my post entirely. i was stating a personal position. but, in thinking about it, i suppose it applies on a broader scale, too. consider this.... using historical outcome as the basis for present decisions bears the flawed failure to recognize that individual, cultural, societal, international and global values, wants, needs, desires and motivations are not the same today as during the historical point of comparison. additionally, because the accuracy of the historical record is not (as taught in the U.S.) all that accurate, one is again left with decisions based on incomplete, flawed or deliberately misrepresented information. this becomes somewhat reminiscent of the GIGO concept in the application of logic or operation of computers.
i haven't watched the news for almost five years. interestingly, i feel none the lesser for it. i rarely pick up a newspaper. i stopped reading history books (particularly those written by the victors or endorsed by any governmental entity.) it is amazing to me how much less stress and anxiety there is in my life since i started focusing on, and living in, the present and on the things in my immediate life. not that i have any more control over my life than before, mind you. but, i now recognize that i have no control over those things outside myself, and very little control, if any, over those things within myself. and... i recognize that i can control how i react to those things outside myself and witness those things which occur within.

and.... i don't think i can answer your rhetorical questions.

be well,

jim
Old 10-10-08, 10:40 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Gee kidz, hate to tell you, but World War II was living history for me as a kid in Nazi-occupied Belgium.
Must be gettin' on in age, as we will be great-grandparents this year. Y-i-i-i-i-kes!
Old 10-11-08, 01:24 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, if Obama gets in. We are going to rewrite the book.
Old 10-11-08, 01:31 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Gee kidz, hate to tell you, but World War II was living history for me as a kid in Nazi-occupied Belgium.
Must be gettin' on in age, as we will be great-grandparents this year. Y-i-i-i-i-kes!
Us Europeans have a lot more to remember about the war. Born just after it but still the reminders are still here today.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 10-11-08 at 05:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-08, 04:39 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'd have to agree with grouch on the subject of history being important. It's not so much that history will repeat itself exactly as pointed out above by jiminos but rather that the dynamics of historical situations will repeat. Trying to understand what dynamics caused what results and why serves as an example to follow in future decisions.

Example: You burned your finger on a hot frying pan when your were young. You may be more wary of touching your George Foreman Grill today. History hasn't repeated, but you have learned something from the past.
Old 10-11-08, 05:03 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
When I was in school, there was enough history to fill the whole school year. Now with all that extra history that kids have to learn these days, how do they fit it all in?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-11-08, 05:31 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
When I was in school, there was enough history to fill the whole school year. Now with all that extra history that kids have to learn these days, how do they fit it all in?
They condense it down to a ZIP file to be forgotten about later.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-11-08, 05:38 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Global History is now a two year course in our High Schools!

Born in '51 and WWII seemed like ancient history to me. Met my bride in '73 and
the world seemed to be so technically advanced at that time. Looking back at
what all has happened in just those past 35 years wears me out. Yawn, time for
a little nap.

Oh. here's a chuckle. Until we dropped our "Land Line" a couple years ago, our
daughters had to teach their friends how to dial our wall mounted phone if they
had forgotten to charge their cells.
Old 10-11-08, 06:02 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
i'm not kidding in the least. history has lost much of its importance.... FOR ME. i think you missed the point of my post entirely. i was stating a personal position. but, in thinking about it, i suppose it applies on a broader scale, too. consider this.... using historical outcome as the basis for present decisions bears the flawed failure to recognize that individual, cultural, societal, international and global values, wants, needs, desires and motivations are not the same today as during the historical point of comparison. additionally, because the accuracy of the historical record is not (as taught in the U.S.) all that accurate, one is again left with decisions based on incomplete, flawed or deliberately misrepresented information. this becomes somewhat reminiscent of the GIGO concept in the application of logic or operation of computers.
i haven't watched the news for almost five years. interestingly, i feel none the lesser for it. i rarely pick up a newspaper. i stopped reading history books (particularly those written by the victors or endorsed by any governmental entity.) it is amazing to me how much less stress and anxiety there is in my life since i started focusing on, and living in, the present and on the things in my immediate life. not that i have any more control over my life than before, mind you. but, i now recognize that i have no control over those things outside myself, and very little control, if any, over those things within myself. and... i recognize that i can control how i react to those things outside myself and witness those things which occur within.
I'm thinking that Obama shouldn't be counting on your vote.
Old 10-11-08, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm thinking that Obama shouldn't be counting on your vote.
the other guy shouldn't count on my vote either. near as i can tell, the democrats want the government to solve all our problems... the republicans want the government to legislate morality... they both want my money and more control. i want the government to leave me (and everybody else) alone. you know... kinda like how it was set up originally... or would that be history?

be well,

jim
Old 10-11-08, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or, as P. J. O'Rourke put it...

"The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."
Old 10-11-08, 10:22 PM
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeLD
1973 was a groovy year. I recall having cool tie died bell bottoms ... long side burns ... a 1966 VW fastback (6 volt system) ... and a much smaller gut.
That was the year I graduated high school, and also the year I bought my first road bike.
Old 10-11-08, 10:43 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sh----t, I think I came back for Nam in 1970 or 71 I think. Had a wife and four children.
Lived in Dallas.
Old 10-11-08, 11:05 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
stapfam:
Remember being in London in 1947. You Brits still had food rationing.
Left from Southampton to New York on the (original) Queen Mary, it's first trip as a passenger liner since WWII, when it served as a troop ship. Well, we traveled Tourist Class, but even that was quite an eye opener for me! Never saw such food and luxury before!
It was years before I quit having screaming nightmares from the war. Finally sort of outgrew them until the 50th anniversary from WWII when everything came flooding back.
No matter how bad things may seem to be, life is still good compared to back then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.