Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Last Tuesday Night Group Ride

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-07-08, 10:49 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since Sept. we've backed up the time from 6, to 5:30, now to 5:00, therefore the turnout has decreased. This week 3 members from Team Hamana showed up, and I joined them. Their shorts read "Hamana Hamana Hamana" (oh, the Hamanity), and "Up a Hill, Down a Beer."

I mistook them for posers, so when the warm up pace was 18 mph I was a little surprised. The first hill and subsequent descent took me from 18 to 25+, and they were shelling me like a cheap oyster. Since I refuse to admit that anyone is faster or stronger than I until they're at least 1/4 mile ahead meant that I was at my lactate threshold chasing them. I caught them twice, before I turned off -- their ride was taking them up a narrow canyon to a dam, and while the climb is fun, I was concerned with losing light.

I rode the last 7 miles in a low gear (bilg chainring in front, middle ring of the cluster; omg do I not know the tooth count), keeping my cadence high. I finished the 32 mile loop in 1:39, 6 min. faster than my best solo time.

So it's the end of my racing season and I regret that I wasn't this fast three months ago. On the other hand, I was happy to get the practice I got, given how busy I've been with work. I'm already anticipating next year, and at the same time, looking forward to winter's less intense rides.
Old 10-07-08, 11:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts
What is it that always makes us faster when there's a rabbit ahead to chase?
Instinct, evolution, pride, testosterone, ....
Old 10-07-08, 11:39 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
What is it that always makes us faster when there's a rabbit ahead to chase?
Instinct, evolution, pride, testosterone, ....
Maybe in my case, estrogen...>shrugs shoulders< who knows? I go with instinct and human nature.
Old 10-08-08, 12:38 AM
SaiKaiTai

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You call a "big chainring in front & anything in back" a LOW gear?
"You play a game with which I am not familiar"
Old 10-08-08, 01:27 AM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most racers train in 53x19. That's a "small gear" as opposed to your basic racing gear (53x15 or 16) or your sprinting gear (53x14 for me, but nowadays 53x11 for most Cat 2's). The small ring is only for climbing.

Back when I first started riding, I think it was 1972, I was working on developing my spin. I always used the small ring (42 in those days). One of my first rides was Mt. Hamilton, near San Jose, CA. I tagged along with a more experienced rider. When we got to the flats on the other side of Mt. Hamilton, he was in the big ring but still spinning, while I stayed in the small ring because I didn't know any better. I didn't think you could spin in the big ring in those days. What an eye-opener. So that's how you become a racer - develop a spin in the small ring, and then when you get into the big ring, you can still spin.

L.
Old 10-08-08, 06:46 AM
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red Rider,

Rest does a body good! Nice ride. I've been having the same sucess on group rides since the racing and training season is now in the past. Like you, this was my first year of training and racing and I am already planning and preparing for next year's season. We have moved up our Tuesday ride start and finished with lights. My Wednesday group ride continues to start at 6:30 with all the riders having good group riding skills and adequate lighting systems. In November the group will begin the ride in the dark. If it's over 22 degrees, two riders show up and the roads are dry the ride is on!
Old 10-08-08, 03:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Obviously you have a little competitive fire that continues to glimmer on and on!!

Hey-enjoy riding the next few months and get in some good base miles. The time will come way too soon to crank up the intensity again!!
Old 10-08-08, 09:30 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, gee. I'm in awe of your prowess, RR. But I agree that there is something about riding in a group that makes us go faster, if that group is at least as fast as you. I happened to me today, albeit on a much less grand scale. And I remember when I first started riding, a new friend and I took a ride together. A few miles into the ride, as we were both pushing pretty hard (for us), one of us said (I don't remember who), "Do you always ride this fast?" We were killing each other, trying to show off, I reckon.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 10-08-08, 09:54 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus, it's much more fun than intervals!

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-08-08, 10:27 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to ride with people faster than I. When I can keep up, we can talk (rather, they talk and I listen) and share ideas, tactics, experiences, and it's fun to socialize. When I'm being dropped like a bad habit I work 'way harder to catch up, which makes me faster and stronger whether I catch them or not. Catching and passing them is definitely better, though.

What I've noticed, and it was apparent last night, is that I've learned to use the bigger gears and spin in them, vs. mashing and pedaling at 80 rpm. It's taken me the summer to recognize that that's what I've been doing. As the rides and weeks have passed, my strength and speed have increased. This year I was so concerned with racing, and how I didn't measure up, I didn't take the time to appreciate my gains. Now that I don't have to worry about tapering for an event I realize what I've missed.

Today I rode with two women whom I just met this morning (friends of friends). They're strong, experienced, but not speed demons. They took one look at the Diva and worried that they wouldn't be able to keep up (one was on a Steve Rex, the other on a brand-new Cervelo T3, fer cryin' out loud). We rode about 30 miles together, and although on big climb separated us, we stuck together. I thought about what you said, A-Jet, about rest -- so this was my "recovery" ride from last night. It was a good ride.
Old 10-09-08, 12:38 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ride with a group on the road- but Mountain biking and there are several competitive in the group. Flat bits and we all ride together but there will be a little slope appear. There will be be 3 or 4 of us up front waiting for the first to go. Only a 200yard flat out sprint up a 5% but not often I am last. Then there are the hills. Long drawn out mile long 10 to 15% and everyone goes at their pace. Surprising how hard the fit bu**er has to work to stay in front of me and If it is Stuart and me on the Tandem- Providing it is not too slippery- we push him all the way- till the last 50ft and then just leave him.

This would count for interval training more than anything else but this is what I like about Mountain bikers. They are competitive but always work a no drop policy. One thing I do find though is that those "Fit" riders start dropping back to keep the other riders company by about the 3rd hill. The 4th and they start having gear problems and if there is a 5th.- I get cold waiting for them.

So take this Hamana group out again on one of your long hilly rides. No--- Don't do that- You would probably finish up towing them for the last 10 miles or so.

Spike Milligan