Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Core Training recommendations, and Cyclo-Core..

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-09-08, 06:49 AM
redfishpaddler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would greatly appreciate suggestions for programs, DVD's, books regarding core training for cyclists that you have used and found to be effective.

Have any of you used the Cyclo-Core approach (www.cyclo-core.com) ?

I am 55 y.o., just getting back to a road bike after many years (including rehab. for a knee replacement). So, I am looking for a program that offers a beginners module that will lead to a more advanced program with time.
Many thanks,
Bob
Old 10-09-08, 07:18 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer the "ride your bike a lot" program.
Old 10-09-08, 12:25 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
I prefer the "ride your bike a lot" program.
It's the only one that works for me too.

However- I have been known to use the gym and while there- Do try to work the Muscle groups that cause a problem. I get a stiff back occasionally so use the machine that will get mobility into the spine. Same on the shoulders and any other part of me that is going down a bit.

But to get fit for cycling- I cycle.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-09-08, 12:51 PM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the "ride-your-bike-a-lot" program for a long time, and it worked pretty well for many years. But decade after decade of sitting at a desk all day and on a bike all weekend can leave your core (and other) muscles weak and inflexible--a lesson I was taught in a painful way that kept me off the bike for months.

I don't know too much about this program, but I have heard good reviews. Whatever you do on the bike, a strong core won't hurt, and it could help. A lot.
Old 10-09-08, 02:10 PM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I have used the program. Bought all the DVD's. Don't know your level of fitness, but Marine boot camp pops into my mind every time I begin to stick the Cyclo Core DVD in the player. You will be more fit from this program but has it made me into Lance, no.
Old 10-09-08, 09:30 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest working on core muscle groups. Sit ups, other abdominal exercises and push ups can be done at home. To stay in good bike shape, besides riding, I use the weight room and run. For upper body strength if you don't want to use weights you might consider doing parallel bar dips, chin ups and pull ups. These are super strength builders.
Old 10-10-08, 05:27 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
I did the "ride-your-bike-a-lot" program for a long time, and it worked pretty well for many years. But decade after decade of sitting at a desk all day and on a bike all weekend can leave your core (and other) muscles weak and inflexible--a lesson I was taught in a painful way that kept me off the bike for months.

I don't know too much about this program, but I have heard good reviews. Whatever you do on the bike, a strong core won't hurt, and it could help. A lot.
Fair enough. That would call for the "ride your bike a lot and do a bunch of targeted exercises" program.
Old 10-10-08, 05:51 AM
djnzlab1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 cents

HI,
Most really succesful training combines weights and anerobic training, are you trying to sprint faster or have more endurance.
Most injuries are caused by over training and lack of balance in muscles.
So I am a older person who tries and do a nautilus circuit at least twice a week, I hate weights but it does balance out my exercise, I find rainy days are perfect for this.
I also like those orbit cross trainers for low impact anerobic stints.
More types of exercise the better equipped you'll be for injury prevention. And I always feel faster and stronger the next day after Nautilus training, maybe its resting the engine or maybe its the streching of the large muscle groups..

Doug
Old 10-10-08, 06:21 AM
gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This not a core suggestion but a hamstring/ aerobic suggestion. Find an elliptical machine with a raising ramp feature rather than the arm moving feature. Set the ramp all the way up and try to do an hour a day at the highest resistance setting you can manage.

I did this for three months the winter before last and rode stronger than I ever have. It doesn't do much for the quads but those tend to come when riding, hammies are harder to build on the bike.
Old 10-10-08, 06:50 AM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Fair enough. That would call for the "ride your bike a lot and do a bunch of targeted exercises" program.

Now if I could only remember to take my own advice. I've been slacking off of late.
Old 10-10-08, 10:50 AM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to have fun while working on your core muscles, paddle your kayak on a regular basis using the proper techinque of rotating at the waist instead of just paddling with your arms. I'm talking about paddling at a good steady pace that will build up a sweat. I'm assuming you have a kayak by your name. Now that I have helped you with the core muscle advice maybe you could help me with some redfish advice.
Old 10-10-08, 04:03 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride your bike and ride it for reasons other than 'training' or 'to get fit'. Just get out there and enjoy the thing. You do not have to ride with a bunch. You do not have to keep track of every mile or heartbeat. You do not have to ride to a 'schedule' or 'plan'. Though I should point out that there's nothing wrong with any of that ... if you're that way inclinced (like this lycra fetish a lot of people have). Ride your bike to the library. Ride your bike to a town 50miles away for a pie. Check out that new ship in the harbour ... by bike.

Turn your bike into a piece of gym equiptment and most people give up after a few years because they've reached their goals and are bored. Ride your bike because it's part of your life and you'll keep doing it ... though you may not be as strong as the 'gym equiptment' type rider. Remember, you only need half an hour a day to extend your life and be healthy into the bargain but you need to keep doing it, year after year.

Of course, if you need the core fitness to be able to ride your new bike, welcome to the con job that is the modern cycle industry. Ignore the magazines - you don't change your body to fit your bike, you change your bike to fit your body. Raise the bars. Shift the seat back. At 55, you're not going to be Lance Armstrong (though the industry will tell you you should be). As you can gain fitness and strength, you reset your bike to suit and maybe you will one day be scaring the kids on their racers, but the bike is YOUR servant, not the other way around.

Richard
who must have woken up grumpy because this was going to be a short post
Old 10-10-08, 04:14 PM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the core programs in the "yoga for athletes" book

start off slow as they are much harder than they seem
Old 10-11-08, 05:25 PM
jim p

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote is for yoga. I had been riding for about 2 years and thought that my core was plenty strong. After doing about 15 seconds of core exercise in yoga I was shaking from head to toe. The basic easy poses will really give you a workout.

If you want to check out a yoga site which gives daily video feeds then take a look at yoga today. I have been told that it is a good site. My old dial up system can't handle the connection so I have not been able to use it myself.
Old 10-11-08, 10:04 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not intended just for cyclists, but the exercises from the book The Core Program were taught to me by a physical therapist several years ago to improve my back by strengthening my core. They're similar to Pilates. Also, those big inflatable exercise balls are very good at targeting core muscles. Another PT treating my back for another issue highly recommended a ball to strengthen my core.
Old 10-13-08, 07:13 AM
redfishpaddler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks!

Thanks to all....
I ended up picking up a good book for core work using a physio-ball....have done some of that before and like it and realized the amazing benefits.

Went out yesterday for the first ride on my new bike.....was GREAT! I benefitted from a good fit at my LBS.....not sore today at all (am surprised). Am looking forward to building core and lowering MY weight.....not as easy as buying very high components but needed and well worth it.
Bob