Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Maiden voyage on the LHT (pics)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 08:54 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What began a few months ago as a search for a replacement hybrid that fits, eventually turned into a search for an all-around bike somewhere in between my heavy/too-big hybrid and the light/speedy Roubaix. I found it in the Surly Long Haul Trucker. If the Roubaix is my "little black dress", then the LHT is my "Little Blue Jean". And I'm a jeans gal, through and through.

I installed the new Cateye Micro Wireless computer and Hubby put on a bottle cage and pump mount, and we set out for its maiden voyage on a beautiful fall day.

Our first stop was at our favorite LBS to buy a pair of 26" tubes. We met with the owner and discussed my purchase of the LHT at the other shop; he totally agreed and respected my reasons. He said he'd be happy to service my bike. I told him I'd ordered Nitto Moustache bars on Saturday morning, and he showed me the ones he has on his own bike.

From there we headed uphill toward our favorite MUP to see how the little LHT handles our familiar routes. At the end of the trail (or the beginning, depending on where you begin) we encountered a group of another type of rider....

From there we rode up a steep hill to the Padua Hills Theater. The climb was a cinch in the granny ring. Flying back down at 30mph felt stable and sure-footed.

Later, we stopped for pie..... pizza pie! What was supposed to be mushrooms turned out to be pineapple, but the pizza was delicious and very satisfying.

This is the place where we often stop for bagels on Saturday mornings; it's a popular stop for cyclists. The railing surrounding the outdoor patio makes a handy resting place for the bikes... like this little cutie --

After dinner we headed home at the end of a 20+ mile cruise around town.

I loved the ride. Without making any changes to the stem or bars, I feel more comfortable than I do on the Roubaix (on which I swapped the stem and bars). I was a little apprehensive about the bar-end shifters in traffic and hills, but it took me less than a mile to learn and like them. On the hill, I shifted into the granny ring in front, and back to the middle at the top (my first experience with friction shifting), and did so flawlessly.

Everything is stock except the A530 pedals (platform on one side, SPD on the other). I used the platform side very briefly a couple of times, and the sole of my Sidi Dominators sat very nicely on the platform without slipping.

The LHT is several pounds heavier than the Roubaix but I hardly noticed a difference. Gearing is lower on the LHT and the ride is smooth and comfortable. The Roubaix is faster than I need for most of the riding we do, and comparing the weight of the LHT against the Roubaix and calling it "heavy" is like comparing myself with an anorexic and calling myself "fat".

I'll swap the saddle ASAP and get some tape for the moustache bars, maybe a rack with a trunk pack, mount my Topeak bag on the front, and I'll be good to go.

After my first real ride on the LHT, I'm extremely satisfied. The ride is very smooth (I can now understand the love affair with steel). It is very sure-footed (like the hybrid), likes to climb (like the Roubaix), easy and fun to ride............ and it's blue! It feels like the all-purpose every-occasion hop-on-and-go bike I was looking for.

I see many happy miles ahead on my Little Blue Jean.
Old 10-12-08, 09:08 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yen!

A touring bike with 26"! Congrat's! Hope all is going well!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 10-12-08, 09:11 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Looks like the beginning of a great relationship. I'm not at all surprised that you adapted to the bar end shifters so quickly. They are my favorite type of shifter. Just for kicks, try switching the rear shifter to friction mode sometime. I think you'll be surprised how intuitive and easy it is to shift without the cheater clicks.
Old 10-12-08, 09:11 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fred!

I was going to send out a search and rescue team to find out where you went. Glad to see you're still around.
Old 10-12-08, 09:14 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Looks like the beginning of a great relationship. I'm not at all surprised that you adapted to the bar end shifters so quickly. They are my favorite type of shifter. Just for kicks, try switching the rear shifter to friction mode sometime. I think you'll be surprised how intuitive and easy it is to shift without the cheater clicks.
Cheater clicks! Just when I was feeling good about myself for learning something new (again). OK, I'll try it sometime. I like them a lot, and I think I'll love them when they're at the end of the moustache bars where I can reach them by just sliding my hand to the end instead of removing it from the bar. It was a little awkward the first couple of times but by the end of the ride it was almost second nature.
Old 10-12-08, 09:15 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations, Yen!!! I'll check out the LHT for sure. Great ride report and pictures. I love stories with a happy ending.
Old 10-12-08, 09:43 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tru: Definitely check out the LHT. Hubby wants one now too.

I forgot to mention that squeezing the brake levers from the hoods (the only place where I can) got pretty painful after about 15 miles. My wrist and thumb joints (both with a pre-existing problem) were quite sore. I'm not sure if I need to rotate the bars a little, move the levers, change the levers, or change the reach, but I know I won't last long with them. Although the real issue is this troublesome hand of mine, I didn't have any pain with the original set-up on the Roubaix. I'll ask the shop tomorrow if they can expedite the moustache bars to arrive before the end of the week.
Old 10-12-08, 09:45 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your pink helmet looks mah-velous with that blue, by the way. And what on earth is on that pizza? I thought it was my favorite, sausage, mushroom, and onion. But I think I see chunks of pineapple!
Old 10-12-08, 09:58 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great report and Pics. I'm glad you like the bike so much and that it's
working out so well.

Happy Trails
Old 10-12-08, 10:00 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a great maiden voyage. So you went with moustache instead of bullhorn for now, eh?

Yum, pineapple on pizza. I like pineapple & Canadian bacon on pizza. I've had some good pizzas with peaches on them too.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-12-08, 10:09 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
Your pink helmet looks mah-velous with that blue, by the way. And what on earth is on that pizza? I thought it was my favorite, sausage, mushroom, and onion. But I think I see chunks of pineapple!
That's pineapple. We ordered a sausage, mushroom, tomato and basil pizza. The young guy at the counter accidently hit the "pineapple" button which is next to the "mushroom" button (that's his story). I wonder what the chef thought about our "choice" of pineapple with the other ingredients. We picked it off and ate it separately, and the pizza was delicious. We also split a salad which came with a basket of garlic bread (which we didn't expect), enough for 3 people. This meal would have made a great pre-ride carbo-load.
Old 10-12-08, 10:12 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Sounds like a great maiden voyage. So you went with moustache instead of bullhorn for now, eh?
Yes, I thought I'd give them a try. I really like the looks of them and I needed to just pick one and move on, so I picked these after extensive research.

Yum, pineapple on pizza. I like pineapple & Canadian bacon on pizza. I've had some good pizzas with peaches on them too.
I like it (pineapple) too but not with sausage, tomato and basil. (See my reply to TruF's question above.) I like it with ham. Peaches on pizza??? What other ingredients might complement that.... ham, perhaps?
Old 10-12-08, 10:30 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

That does it. I've lost all respect for you now.

Pizza comes with pepperoni or Italian sausage and mushrooms. That's it.
Old 10-12-08, 10:53 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pineapple is pretty popular on pizza. It is one of Pizza Hut's specialty pizzas. At one of the big pizzerias in Morgantown, WV, when I was going to college there, the pineapple & ham (or Canadian bacon) was their #2 selling pizza, right after pepperoni. A good low-fat pizza is ham & pineapple with half-cheese.

I like a lot of different kinds of pizza ... as long as it doesn't have anchovies, green peppers, or onions. I could have eaten Yen's sausage, tomato, pineapple & basil without picking the pineapple off.

Have you had a barbeque chicken pizza? I like those. And I had one of those with peaches once.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-12-08, 10:58 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pineapple is pretty popular on pizza. It is one of Pizza Hut's specialty pizzas. At one of the big pizzerias in Morgantown, WV, when I was going to college there, the pineapple & ham (or Canadian bacon) was their #2 selling pizza, right after pepperoni. A good low-fat pizza is ham & pineapple with half-cheese.

I like a lot of different kinds of pizza ... as long as it doesn't have anchovies, green peppers, or onions. I could have eaten Yen's sausage, tomato, pineapple & basil without picking the pineapple off.

Have you had a barbeque chicken pizza? I like those. And I had one of those with peaches once.
I could have eaten it without picking off the pineapple, but I didn't think the pineapple taste would complement the basil which I like a lot more. I enjoyed it picked off though. I've had BBQ'd chicken pizza and liked it. My current favorite is pesto pizza but I smell like a garlic clove for days afterward. I also like another current favorite, marguerita pizza -- chopped/sliced tomato with fresh basil.
Old 10-13-08, 12:08 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Pizza notwithstanding (it deserves its own thread), I'm glad you enjoyed your LHT. A friend of ours has been riding and touring with her LHT, which is a lovelyl shade of green, all summer. It has made her very strong and fast, so when she rides her road bike, we no longer slack, but must pedal hard to keep up with her. She loves that bike, and she likes to say "Surly Long Haul Trucker."

I'm glad you're enjoying your new bike so much. I realized this year, during a race, that cycling makes me feel like I'm 10 yrs. old again. I love that feeling -- no wonder I ride so much -- I'm looking for that feeling again. A new bike does it, too. I can tell you're smitten with the LHT, so I know you'll be posting those rides. I'm eagerly anticipating reading your reports.

Last edited by Red Rider; 10-13-08 at 12:09 AM. Reason: to correct a grammatical error, omg
Old 10-13-08, 05:39 AM
just keep riding

It never struck me before, but looking at the picture of Yen's LHT, I see that it is a very similar bike to my Kemo Sabe.

Old 10-13-08, 05:49 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
That does it. I've lost all respect for you now.

Pizza comes with pepperoni or Italian sausage and mushrooms. That's it.
I agree Dawg, Pineapple and or peaches are much too sweet for Pizza.

Yen that is a great looking bike, Hope you enjoy many rides and a lot of miles on it.
Old 10-13-08, 06:32 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yen,

Very nice bike. It seems perfect for the type of riding you do. However, you should be flogged for your mistreatment of "your little black dress" the Roubaix Expert.
Old 10-13-08, 06:47 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Yen,

Very nice bike. It seems perfect for the type of riding you do. However, you should be flogged for your mistreatment of "your little black dress" the Roubaix Expert.
+1, don't give up on the Roubaix. I still use both of mine a lot. There is no favorite, I like them both. Anyhow congratulations on the new ride.
Old 10-13-08, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I wonder what the next N+1 will be as you continue to expand your wardrobe? Jeans, little black dress... maybe something for those times when you need an in-between? Isn't it nice to have choices when its time to ride?
Old 10-13-08, 09:20 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What tires did have put on it? The standard 700x32s?

Old 10-13-08, 09:36 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Now that pizza has been accepted as a valid form of pie for 50+............
Old 10-13-08, 10:10 AM
just keep riding

What tires did have put on it? The standard 700x32s?
Not likely with the 26" wheels.
Old 10-13-08, 10:26 AM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Cheater clicks! Just when I was feeling good about myself for learning something new (again). OK, I'll try it sometime. I like them a lot, and I think I'll love them when they're at the end of the moustache bars where I can reach them by just sliding my hand to the end instead of removing it from the bar. It was a little awkward the first couple of times but by the end of the ride it was almost second nature.
Jen....I'm glad to see you're enjoying your new ride!
The bar end shifters work really well with moustache bars. You'll love the set up.
Did the LBS owner suggest you get a shorter stem with your moustache bars? Most m-bar set ups require shorter stems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.